C/D: Superfour Challenge

Started by Fire It Up, October 15, 2005, 06:34:52 PM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

I read it in the mag...pretty cool.  B)  

JYODER240

Those Tuner competitions bore me.  They are a bunch of 50K FWD civics, that would get destroyed by a stock vette.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Fire It Up

I have a hard time believing that they spent 50K on them to run 13's. Anyone can make a Civic run 13s for like...1000 bucks...

Raghavan

QuoteI have a hard time believing that they spent 50K on them to run 13's. Anyone can make a Civic run 13s for like...1000 bucks...
A hard shot o' nitrous.

SaltyDog

QuoteI have a hard time believing that they spent 50K on them to run 13's. Anyone can make a Civic run 13s for like...1000 bucks...
Uh, are you sure about that?  Unless you mean stripping everything out... :D  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raghavan

Uh, are you sure about that?  Unless you mean stripping everything out... :D
I'd guess so. Stock suspension and tranny would do. Strip everything outta the interior and exterior (as much as possible), and sell all of it. Then you spend an extra 1000 on the engine.

Raza

It takes a lot of work to get a Civic to quarter in the 13s.  I think you underestimate how hard it is to launch a FWD car.  And, you also underestimate just how little power those cars have.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Wait...so there are three Civics, a Focus, an SRT-4, and a Mini?  Come on...they couldn't find a WRX tuner?

EDIT:  Nevermind...just saw the first picture.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I still never see myself modifying a car to that kind of extreme.  The Evo ran up a bill of 86K!  For that amount of money, I could have a stock Evo and a Corvette!  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

A hard shot o' nitrous.
Is all it takes to blow your bottom end :o  ;)  :lol:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

You can make a Civic run 13s for $5000 easy.

Locally, a guy has a '90 Civic hatch. He built a turbo setup for $1000 and then took it out to our newly opened drag strip. Ran a best of 14.1, with a terrible 2.6 second 60 foot time. Easily a 13 second car if he had better tires (he was using bald auto-x tires), some suspension mods or just had been a better driver. Bone stock Civic hatch with a turbo (ran 14psi).

The prices there are just what you would pay if you had a shop do all the work (which nobody does).

Raghavan

QuoteI still never see myself modifying a car to that kind of extreme.  The Evo ran up a bill of 86K!  For that amount of money, I could have a stock Evo and a Corvette!
or you could have a Viper... Or a C6 Z06 with a used S2000...

MX793

Keep in mind, besides the inherent difficulties of getting traction with FWD due to weight shift, that none of those cars were specifically set up for drag racing.  They were all running street tire, they all had some camber to the front wheels so they could handle well in the road course section, etc...

You'll also note that the trap speeds for the FWDs are really high considering their time.  This is because most of them have difficulty getting traction at speeds much under 50 mph.  Hell, my 160 hp FWD will break the front wheels loose if I romp on it in first gear from a slow roll.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Fire It Up

Well, at least the RSX is easy to get into 13's. All you need on the new Type-S's is an intake/header/exhaust. And if you add the Hondata things you get loads more power.