what's wrong with the Accord?

Started by BENZ BOY15, April 24, 2012, 09:26:32 PM

BENZ BOY15

So when I'm on the freeway, the RPM will be too high....like it's in 3rd gear (but it's not).

What gives?

(2007 Honda Accord SE)

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Imma say it's in third gear if it's like it's in third gear.

Put the shift lever in D instead of 3.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Is it not shifting out of 3rd for sure or have you tried manually shifting it?

Eye of the Tiger

S204STi

WRT thrust bearings, completely agree.  I can't believe I didn't think of that myself; clearly I'm slipping.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on April 24, 2012, 09:44:34 PM
WRT thrust bearings, completely agree.  I can't believe I didn't think of that myself; clearly I'm slipping.

WRT slipping, slipping like the Accord's torque converter when the clutch doesn't lock up?

S204STi

WRT slipping, if you say so, but I thought the thrust bearings were the more likely answer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on April 24, 2012, 09:48:43 PM
WRT slipping, if you say so, but I thought the thrust bearings were the more likely answer.

WRT thrust bearings, they are very important on vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.

Rupert

WRT WRT I can't believe I ever didn't read the Chat Thread. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

Synthetic oil made everything too slippery. Switch to Pennzoil two-stroke oil.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Just dump it in a can of water and throw it in the gas tank.

68_427

Did your brother change the oil again?  :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Hondas never have problems. Never. Ever. You're on drugs again and are imagining this supposed "problem".

Time to come clean, dude.  :thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BENZ BOY15

I guess I just bring it in....but what are they going to do? No oil jokes....and that was him and his friends, not me. I've never been good with fixing cars or anything mechanical, building things from a box, woodworking...I've never been good at things like that.

So cut me a little slack. Th I know I'm not as cool as chimp and take the fucking engine out of the car....so somebody is gonna have to fix this....who isn't in the family.

:lol:

So thrust bearings.

shp4man

Listen to the car shift gears. Does the overdrive still work? Check the trans fluid level- is it red or dark with little metallic stuff in it? Sometimes a bad fuel pump or filter or clogged catalysts will fake you out with symptoms like that. I had to restrain myself from using the word "tranny". I know that term means something completely different to people not in the  car biz.  :lol:

Or it could be the thrust bearings...... ;) :lol:

BENZ BOY15

hotrodalex

Is the car warmed up when this happens, or is right after starting it? My Saturn won't lock the torque converter if it's not warmed up.

GoCougs

Not uncommon as transmissions age actuators can get weak owing to worn seals/bushings, etc., preventing them from extending/retracting fully, ultimately resulting in shifting problems. 90% chance they'll try to sell you on a $200-$300 tranny fluid change/flush under the guise of "well, it might work, and it'll save you a $3500 transmission replacement if it does." I say don't bother; that doesn't fix problems. Have them give you ROOT CAUSE (i.e., definite cause) and then hold them to fixing the issue for the stated price.

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on April 25, 2012, 04:10:14 PM
Not uncommon as transmissions age actuators can get weak owing to worn seals/bushings, etc., preventing them from extending/retracting fully, ultimately resulting in shifting problems. 90% chance they'll try to sell you on a $200-$300 tranny fluid change/flush under the guise of "well, it might work, and it'll save you a $3500 transmission replacement if it does." I say don't bother; that doesn't fix problems. Have them give you ROOT CAUSE (i.e., definite cause) and then hold them to fixing the issue for the stated price.

Ha! You said "tranny". :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 25, 2012, 03:47:35 PM
Is the car warmed up when this happens, or is right after starting it? My Saturn won't lock the torque converter if it's not warmed up.

Nah....when it's warmed up. Like on the freeway or any road when I'm driving fast, that's when I'll notice it.