Just how fast is a Skyline?

Started by giant_mtb, May 15, 2005, 03:56:39 PM

giant_mtb

As the title says... What's the HP ratings? 0-60? 1/4 mile? 0-100? lateral g's?  I want to know anything and everything about the Skyline...lol  Please.  If you know of any videos that'd be sweet too...just put up a linky.  :D  ^_^

Why?

Motorex's Homepage

Here is a good place to start. They import Skyline GTR's to the US.

giant_mtb

Thanks for the site...here's a general idea of the cars. (the older ones)

R33 Specs (as tested by C/D in 1995)

Horsepower 276 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque 271 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Acceleration

0-40 mph                 2.7
0-60 mph                 5.3
0-80 mph                 9.1
0-100 mph                 12.9

0-1320 ft (1/4 mile)     14.0 @ 104 mph

Braking

From 70 mph 159 ft

Handling

300 ft skidpad 0.94 g

Interior Noise

Idle in neutral 47 dBA
Full throttle acceleration 81 dBA
70 mph cruising    72 dBA
70 mph coasting 71 dBA

R34 Specs (as tested by C/D in 1999)

Horsepower 277 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque 293 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Acceleration

0-40 mph                 2.7
0-60 mph                 5.2
0-80 mph                 8.7
0-100 mph                 13.0

0-1320 ft (1/4 mile)     13.7 @ 103.5 mph

Braking

From 60 mph 120 ft
From 80 mph 204 ft

Handling

200 ft skidpad 0.89 g
700 ft slalom 60.8 mph

Fuel Economy

Normal Driving 22.8 mpg

Interior Noise

Idle in neutral 52 dBA
Maximum 1st gear 78 dBA
70 mph    76 dBA

A lot of this information surprised me.  For a period of at least 4 years the engine was left with the same horsepower.  Also the 0-60 times are 1/10th of a second within each other, which also surprised me because there's 4 years in between the two cars.  The R34 was slower to 100 than the R33, but reached 80 .3 seconds quicker.  The R34 was also .3 faster in the 1/4 mile too.  So basically the 0-60 times stayed the same, but the R34 was a better performer once it got up to speed.  The braking was a lot better obviously.  The R34 got a worse rating in the skidpad than the R33... .94 compared to .89 g's.  The R34 was also a lot louder, too.
:P
Those numbers look pretty good for 1995 (especially!) and 1999.  What are the newer Skylines like in these respects?  Are they really all that fast?  What exactly makes a Skyline a Skyline?  Is it the handling?

Run Away

The "276hp" agreement limited it to "276hp"...most actually had closer to 300hp. The thing about skylines is that their engines are pretty much bulletproof, and can be tuned to huge amounts of power.

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Fire It Up

What makes a Skyline a Skyline? Uhhh....I dont even know what you're asking....

giant_mtb

QuoteWhat makes a Skyline a Skyline? Uhhh....I dont even know what you're asking....
Well I mean what makes it worth 90-some thousand dollars?  

Fire It Up

QuoteWhat makes a Skyline a Skyline? Uhhh....I dont even know what you're asking....
Oh, it wasnt work 90K in Japan, more like 50K. The reason for it being sold arounf 90K is that MotoRex is 1 out of 2 companies that imports Skylines and the ONLY company that legalizes them for the US. Therefore, you could call them a monopoly, and they can charge people much more for a Skyline then what it would cost back in Japan. Yes, it sucks.  

giant_mtb

Oh, it wasnt work 90K in Japan, more like 50K. The reason for it being sold arounf 90K is that MotoRex is 1 out of 2 companies that imports Skylines and the ONLY company that legalizes them for the US. Therefore, you could call them a monopoly, and they can charge people much more for a Skyline then what it would cost back in Japan. Yes, it sucks.
Oh I see...that's kinda what I figured, but I wasn't sure.  Is it worth 50K even? lol

Fire It Up

Oh I see...that's kinda what I figured, but I wasn't sure.  Is it worth 50K even? lol
Hell yeah! For 50K you have amazing handling and grip, excellent all weathre traction, a crazy good engine, awesome looks, and a great interior. And its tuning possibilities are endles...  

giant_mtb

Hell yeah! For 50K you have amazing handling and grip, excellent all weathre traction, a crazy good engine, awesome looks, and a great interior. And its tuning possibilities are endles...
Yeah the tuning is deffinitely the benefactor with this car...what are the performance numbers for today's skyline?  They are RWD, right?  The one from 1999 only got .89 g's on the skidpad... <_<  

Fire It Up

Yeah the tuning is deffinitely the benefactor with this car...what are the performance numbers for today's skyline?  They are RWD, right?  The one from 1999 only got .89 g's on the skidpad... <_<
They have ATTESA all wheel drive, which gives it a lot of grip. G numbers can be deceiving, because a shitty cars with awesome tires can pull very high numbers.

giant_mtb

They have ATTESA all wheel drive, which gives it a lot of grip. G numbers can be deceiving, because a shitty cars with awesome tires can pull very high numbers.
Oh snap!  :P  I always thought they were RWD...yeah...I'm a Skyline newb. (the reason I started this thread)...Yeah i guess you're right about the skidpad...  In all the video games that have the Skyline in it (from ricer games to simulators) the skyline seems to excel in handling in its group or race.

Fire It Up

Non GTR Skylines are RWD. See, theres the base Skyline, then a GTS, GTS R blah blah...that's all boring. The GTR is the top of the line. Its what the M5 is to the 5 series, except there is more variations for the Skyline.

giant_mtb

QuoteNon GTR Skylines are RWD. See, theres the base Skyline, then a GTS, GTS R blah blah...that's all boring. The GTR is the top of the line. Its what the M5 is to the 5 series, except there is more variations for the Skyline.
Oh.  What are the base models like?  Do they have 4-cylinder's? lol

Fire It Up

QuoteNon GTR Skylines are RWD. See, theres the base Skyline, then a GTS, GTS R blah blah...that's all boring. The GTR is the top of the line. Its what the M5 is to the 5 series, except there is more variations for the Skyline.
Straight 6's, Single turbo straight 6's, Turbo 4's, V6's...and if you didnt know, the G35 and G35C are actually base Skylines.

Fire It Up

Oh, and some baser Skylines could be had with AWD.

giant_mtb

Straight 6's, Single turbo straight 6's, Turbo 4's, V6's...and if you didnt know, the G35 and G35C are actually base Skylines.
Ahhhh this is too much. lol  Very interesting though...and I knew the G35's were based on the Skyline but I didn't know they were the same thing as the base models...interesting tidbit...

FlatBlackCaddy

The last time i looked at the japanese home page for nissan.  I recall seeing the price for a new GT-R at 3,200,000 yen, with the exchange rate at 112-114 yen per us dollar the price worked out to be around 30K. Really a screaming performance deal.

The only reason they are so expensive now it the importation and certification the cars go through.

Also as mentioned the RB is virtually bulletproof, easily capable of 500HP with little to no loss in stock driveability.

I remember SCC did some testing on a R34(in the states, i believe a customers car from motorex). Anyway they did some stock dyno testing and then put a exhaust system on it. The car did indeed test out to about 335 crank hp. Adding a aftermarket exhaust(obviously a good one, i think it was 750 or 800$ for the catback kit) the motor made a additional 30-60HP over the middle to upper rpm range, i've never seen such a huge gain with just a bolt on cat back system.  

Raza

Skylines are one of those cars where it is hard to get reliable information on because of its cult status ("but a slightly modded one will destroy a Ferrari", etc.),  the many different models available each year, and the power ceiling mandated by Japanese government.  So, while not able to officially have over 280PS, in reality it can much, much more--just as long as it is listed as having only 280.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.