If your car got totaled, right now....

Started by 2o6, April 25, 2012, 11:23:01 PM

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 26, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Too much upkeep costs.

I would totally buy a C6 if they were sold here, though.

You'd buy that old pile?

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on April 26, 2012, 10:27:03 PM
You'd buy that old pile?
Take that back! The C6 is tres magnifique, bien sur alors.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Rupert

Compared to the cost of a new BMW? $20k buys a lot of upkeep...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

You should look at that S80 anyway. That car's gorgeous.

Raza

My friend got one.  It's so boring.  But then again, so is he.  Very healthy, bikes, has kids, wears glasses, looks and acts like an accountant (he's not).  But he was a good guy. The S80?  Eh, forget it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

Depends on which car got mauled.

Likely a new Mazda 3 Skyactive or a Civic LX. One's dirt cheap with good resale, the other is ten times more fun ( er... obviously the Mazda ). Both work for me.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

ergodic

I'd probably just get the same car I have right away. Would love to have something RWD/AWD, but I also want hatch/wagon, sporty and with manual transmission. And, besides WRX, there isn't anything available in this price range...

BTW, many people mentioned sky-active Mazda3. I drove one, with an auto, and didn't like it. I mean, it's probably better than Civic, but really didn't feel like anything special. Drove CX-5 with the same drivetrain too. Same feeling - nice, but... just meh. The engine/transmission tech sounds good though, and maybe with a stick it feels different.

Northlands

The Mazda 3 with stick feels pretty decent. I never test drove the auto but it's definitely something I can live with. Power seems pretty good with the Skyactive-stick combo. The advertised mileage initially attracted me.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 26, 2012, 07:32:13 PM
Or, BMW could install a dipstick.

I checked the oil in our BMW yesterday. Took me 0 miles of driving, just a rag.

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 26, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
Honestly, it's easier to just drive around an empty parking lot like an idiot whenever I go to my parents' house every weekend so I can check my oil level. Who needs a dipstick when technology makes everything so convenient?

I miss the dipstick to but 99% of people out there are to lazy to check their oil levels the "normal way" and thus rely on sophisticated software technology to tell them their oil levels.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on April 26, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Too much upkeep costs.

I would totally buy a C6 if they were sold here, though.

Citroen C6s are quite reliable and have modest running costs according to this forum of German C6 owners.

Link: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/citroen-c6-langzeittest-t2589304.html

A 30,000 km service cost someone there 600 EUR. That's modest here for a major car service.

More positive owner experiences. Couldn't find anything negative about the car.

http://www.autoplenum.de/Auto/CITROEN/C6

http://www.focus.de/auto/fahrberichte/tid-6041/fahrbericht-citroen-c6_aid_59016.html

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 27, 2012, 09:06:58 AM

I miss the dipstick to but 99% of people out there are to lazy to check their oil levels the "normal way" and thus rely on sophisticated software technology to tell them their oil levels.  :lol:

Electronics without manual redundancies = Bad idea.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2012, 06:26:42 AM
My friend got one.  It's so boring.  But then again, so is he.  Very healthy, bikes, has kids, wears glasses, looks and acts like an accountant (he's not).  But he was a good guy. The S80?  Eh, forget it. 

That one's a V8.  The V8 sounds really good and goes fairly well.

J86

Nothing.  I'm selling my car in about two weeks anyways :lol:  No replacement.  Also selling a boat...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: J86 on April 27, 2012, 05:25:07 PM
Nothing.  I'm selling my car in about two weeks anyways :lol:  No replacement.  Also selling a boat...

:(
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Stark

Quote from: J86 on April 27, 2012, 05:25:07 PM

what kind of boat
DON'T PANIC

J86

Speed_Racer

MR2 gets pwned? I'd buy a new pair of walking shoes because that's about all I'd be able to afford with the insurance payout.

BimmerM3

Colonel Cadillac

Probably a 2006 330i with around the same mileage and a manual. If I had some money, my decision might be a little more interesting...

Or maybe a 2008 328i with a manual and the same mileage. Leaning towards the 330i; it would probably have more options.

Colonel Cadillac

2o6

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PM

I thought you were afraid of corners in an Audi?

That was in a dream. Until I hit the wall, I enjoyed the car.  :lol:

Vinsanity

You'd buy an Audi because you had a dream about it?

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

No he wouldnt buy an Audi because he had a dream about crashing one.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27301.msg1710492#msg1710492 date=1335539935
Electronics without manual redundancies = Bad idea.
Yeah, I greatly dislike the X5 having no dipstick.

It feels genuinely dangerous to trust that a notification will appear in a timely enough manner to stave off engine damage.

As to the topic of the thread:

If the X5 were totalled;   X5 diesel
If the Ram were totalled;  New Ram with leather/heated seats this time. 

I like the cloth well enough but became quite spoiled with the heated leather/suede of the Durango. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.