Your "fighting words"

Started by hounddog, April 29, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

SVT666

"Camaro is better than Mustang"

"THROW DOWN MOTHERFUCKER!!!!"

Lebowski

Quote from: Rockraven on April 30, 2012, 10:01:50 AM

Too old for that shit, and so are you, Tony.

And as former LE you'd think he'd know better.

rohan

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 11:10:53 AM
And as former LE you'd think he'd know better.
That's just stupid.  You could also say that as a former Marine he's more likely to fight.  I'm not a big fighter but I'd defend my wife's honor if someone called her a cunt when I was standing there and the same if someone touched one of them- probably more if someone touched one of them.  But that kind of name women consider like their version of "nigger"- I don't know if you've ever been around when some dude calls a woman a cunt but it's usually on right then right there.  Don't stand up for your woman or daughter when someone uses that word and you fall a couple notches big time in their minds.  You got a mom right?  You're seriously going to tell me you wouldn't step up if you were at a restraunt and someone slammed that name down on her right in front of you?  
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:23:16 AM
That's just stupid.  You could also say that as a former Marine he's more likely to fight.  I'm not a big fighter but I'd defend my wife's honor if someone called her a cunt when I was standing there and the same if someone touched one of them- probably more if someone touched one of them.  But that kind of name women consider like their version of "nigger"- I don't know if you've ever been around when some dude calls a woman a cunt but it's usually on right then right there.  Don't stand up for your woman or daughter when someone uses that word and you fall a couple notches big time in their minds.  You got a mom right?  You're seriously going to tell me you wouldn't step up if you were at a restraunt and someone slammed that name down on her right in front of you?  

1) Why is my cunt of a wife picking fights with strangers at restaurants?

2) I imagine it would go something like, "Hey asshole, that's my wife, take it easy. Honey, this place sucks, let's get out of here."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Byteme

Nope, someone willing to throw out an insult like that in public is someone just looking for an excuse to start something physical.  Why give him the satisfaction of dragging you down to his level?  Ignore him and walk away.  

If that situation were to come about I just can't picture the woman falling back with breathless admiration ("ah, my hero")  while her man engaged in a fight over a word from what is obviously a socially challenged individual.  I'd drop a couple of notches if I did get in a meaningless fight like that.  

Raza

Standing up and breaking a bottle are two different things.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

That's just stupid.  

No, it's dead on accurate.

Tony is known around here as a hothead and a bit of a bully, and this thread just confirms that.

Dude is too old for this infantile shit and should know better.  So should you for that matter.

SVT666

The biggest reason I would never start a fight is because I don't want to go to jail.  The second biggest reason is that I'm a big dude and I know myself.  In high school I got in two fights.  I threw one guy over a 4 foot pony wall and down a flight of stairs, and the other guy was left unconscious on the floor.  Both were in retaliation to bullying, so I know that if I got to the point of fighting, I can't control myself and I would likely kill him.

rohan

Quote from: Raza  on April 30, 2012, 11:43:38 AM
Standing up and breaking a bottle are two different things.
You're grandstanding.  Where did HD or anyone else talk about breaking bottles?  You're not only reading way too much into it your putting words in his mouth- so to speak.  He's said "fight" not all out John Wayne style bar brawl. 

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 11:45:39 AM
No, it's dead on accurate.

Tony is known around here as a hothead and a bit of a bully, and this thread just confirms that.

Dude is too old for this infantile shit and should know better.  So should you for that matter.
No- it's stupid and so is your assertion that a thread about defending his wife and daughter honor or from being touched inappropriately as being a bully and hothead.  I know you don't have either so you can't understand- but it's about standing up like a man not a neutered metro.  Sometimes men have to fight that's just the nature of life.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 11:40:40 AM
1) Why is my cunt of a wife mom picking fights with strangers at restaurants?

2) I imagine it would go something like, "Hey asshole, that's my wife, take it easy and learn some respect. Honey, this place sucks, let's get out of here."
Yea- because that's what happens when someone starts with verbally abusive behavior in public  :rolleyes: - most of the time it happens it's because they're drunk or high and it doesn't stop with a clever and witty retort.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: MiataJohn on April 30, 2012, 11:41:07 AM
  I'd drop a couple of notches if I did get in a meaningless fight like that. 
And you'ld be a hero to her if you didn't stand up for her.  ;)

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:50:56 AM
No- it's stupid and so is your assertion that a thread about defending his wife and daughter honor or from being touched inappropriately as being a bully and hothead.  I know you don't have either so you can't understand- but it's about standing up like a man not a neutered metro.  Sometimes men have to fight that's just the nature of life.

Don't be so dramatic. Nearly everyone here seems to agree that you should protect yourself if threatened. Obviously we don't expect you to stand by and watch as your daughter is molested. Most of us are talking about words alone, as that's the main topic of the thread.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Byteme

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:55:12 AM
And you'ld be a hero to her if you didn't stand up for her.  ;)

Is that a statement or question?

She'd think more of me if I took the high road and walked away from such a senseless confrontation.

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 11:57:24 AM
Don't be so dramatic. Nearly everyone here seems to agree that you should protect yourself if threatened. Obviously we don't expect you to stand by and watch as your daughter is molested. Most of us are talking about words alone, as that's the main topic of the thread.

:rolleyes:  Who's being dramatic?  Molested?  :facepalm:  Words alone can be enough to front someone off- they're enough to land you in jail in some cases. 

~Chief Seattle

Lebowski

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:50:56 AM

I find it extremely disturbing that you are an LEO.

rohan

Quote from: MiataJohn on April 30, 2012, 11:58:57 AM
Is that a statement or question?

She'd think more of me if I took the high road and walked away from such a senseless confrontation.
Statement.
Yeah right- after someone called her the female equivalent of "n."  you know because women are so understanding about that.   :ohyeah: 

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 12:00:45 PM
I find it extremely disturbing that you are an LEO.
I find it disturbing you are a male.

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:53:51 AM
Yea- because that's what happens when someone starts with verbally abusive behavior in public  :rolleyes: - most of the time it happens it's because they're drunk or high and it doesn't stop with a clever and witty retort.

If some deranged lunatic is verbally harrassing my 60-year old sweatheart of a mother at a restaurant, I'm going to attempt to extricate my mother from the situation, ask the proprietor to call the police if it escalates, and defend ourselves should he try to attack us. I don't see how that isn't the best course of action.

Lebowski

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:02:48 PM
I find it disturbing you are a male.

Part of being a man includes remaining cool and having some control over your actions, not whirring up into an emotion-driven maelstrom of stupidity every time your perceived "honor" is violated as you and HD evidently do.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:03:18 PM
If some deranged lunatic is verbally harrassing my 60-year old sweatheart of a mother at a restaurant, I'm going to attempt to extricate my mother from the situation, ask the proprietor to call the police if it escalates, and defend ourselves should he try to attack us. I don't see how that isn't the best course of action.
I guess you'll do it with a kind word to the guy- a hearty handshake and a tip of your hat on your way out as well?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 12:06:50 PM
Part of being a man includes remaining cool and having some control over your actions, not whirring up into an emotion-driven maelstrom of stupidity every time your perceived "honor" is violated as you and HD evidently do.
And your reading comprehension is as bad as it always is.  You should try "reading" the thread sometime.  :ohyeah:

~Chief Seattle

rohan

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:10:15 PM
Coming from you that means..............

nothing. 

That's because you have the intellect of a child.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:02:24 PM
Statement.
Yeah right- after someone called her the female equivalent of "n."  you know because women are so understanding about that.   :ohyeah:  

No disrespect intended, but I think you are looking at this through "cop's eyes" and the cop mindset that you need to always "take charge of the situation".

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
:rolleyes:  Who's being dramatic?

You are, Sigourney Weaver.

QuoteMolested?  :facepalm:

Whatever you want to call it, you have the right to protect your family from being "touched inappropriately" by strangers. That's obviously not what most of us are talking about.

QuoteWords alone can be enough to front someone off- they're enough to land you in jail in some cases. 

Getting in fist fights is a lot easier way to go to jail. Or be sued, for that matter.

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:08:20 PM
I guess you'll do it with a kind word to the guy- a hearty handshake and a tip of your hat on your way out as well?

Do what, leave? Why do I need to do anything to him to leave, or talk with the people at the restaurant?

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:13:45 PM
You are, Sigourney Weaver.

Whatever you want to call it, you have the right to protect your family from being "touched inappropriately" by strangers. That's obviously not what most of us are talking about.

Getting in fist fights is a lot easier way to go to jail. Or be sued, for that matter.

Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:15:30 PM
Do what, leave? Why do I need to do anything to him to leave?
You're telling me you wouldn't utter a word- throw a look- nothing.  Anything you do in response is your drawing the line on fighting words.  :huh:  May not be the physical altercation HD was talking about but it's a response to fighting words not just simply walking away peacefully either.

~Chief Seattle