Your "fighting words"

Started by hounddog, April 29, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

hounddog

this topic is on another forum I visit and got me to thinking.  Then it got me thinking it might be interesting here.
So in real life what would you consider fighting words worth getting into a physical altercation over?

For me it would be anyone calling my wife or daughter "cunt", hell even calling my passed away mother would start me up.

Also, touching wife or daughter inappropriately would probably get you face time with me.  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

2o6

Calling me a Nigger. Not in jest, not in fun, but out of anger.

280Z Turbo

None. I don't want to fight.

CJ

2o6

I could see HD writing all these down and then requesting to meet us in person.

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on April 29, 2012, 05:06:50 PM
I could see HD writing all these down and then requesting to meet us in person.
It would be like shooting fish in a barrel:  not very sportsmanlike.  :huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

J86

If ANYTHING some random geek off the street is enough to make one fly into physical rage, I think that person ought consider seeking some help.  Sticks and stones and all that...

hounddog

Who said anything about "flying" into a physical rage?  Angry, yes.  But being in a rage is almost always going to cause you to lose a fight. 

I am talking about theoretically where people draw the line and feel they must stand up for principle/what is right, etc. 

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hotrodalex

Only time I've gotten in a fight is when someone hit me first.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 29, 2012, 07:36:20 PM
Only time I've gotten in a fight is when someone hit me first.

You're too pretty to fight..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Personally, I'd like to see the return of the gentleman's duel.

A lot of people would suddenly start remembering their manners.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

I probably wouldn't fight over just words throw at me. Unless I was already really pissed off. I really don't give a fuck what people say about me.

Saying something about a good friend or family member on the other hand would bring out the rage in me.

Eye of the Tiger

Guns speak louder than words.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2012, 09:17:56 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the return of the gentleman's duel.

A lot of people would suddenly start remembering their manners.

Glove slap, baby.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

There was a time in my life when rage and anger played a powerful part.  I nearly came to blows with people a number of times, usually over perceived offenses to my ex-wife.  When I began to understand that such a thing was neither healthy, nor normal, nor right, I determined that nothing would cause me to fly into a rage ever again.  Anger is to me what alcohol is to an alcoholic.  I choose to deal constructively with the emotion, not suppressing it, but actively choosing a different response.

GoCougs

Sometimes I go on 100% autopilot when someone says something stupid, and I return the favor - that has almost resulted in them coming after me a couple of times. But yeah, it'd have to be pretty drastic, such as an assault (i.e., direct threat or imminent indication of violence) for words to bring me first to blows. FWIW, I've never been in a fight.

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on April 29, 2012, 05:14:39 PM
It would be like shooting fish in a barrel:  not very sportsmanlike.  :huh:

Very dangerous thinking.

Northlands

I can handle a lot of taunts. I tend to only be drawn in by actions. 99% of the time people talk shit, that's basically all they're prepared to do.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

I think I would only respond with violence if there was *no other way* out.

It's much too easy to get sued.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Yeah, I don't need to punch someone to prove my worth or manliness or whatever. I guess "give me your wallet and get in the van" might provoke violence, depending. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Wouldn't bother me. My wallet is usually empty, and I am a van enthusiast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2012, 11:38:17 PM
I think I would only respond with violence if there was *no other way* out.

It's much too easy to get sued.

This.  A bar fight can end up costing you a lot, for example.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I'm almost 30, well past the age of picking fights with random assholes. Unless me or someone I know is threatened by actual violence, I'm probably going to let it slide.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

There are no words worth getting into a physical altercation over.

Byteme

Quote from: hounddog on April 29, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

So in real life what would you consider fighting words worth getting into a physical altercation over?

Words?  Just words?  :rolleyes:

None.  

Lay a hand on my wife or son though and we are talking about a different ball game.  

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 08:38:41 AM
I'm almost 30, well past the age of picking fights with random assholes. Unless me or someone I know is threatened by actual violence, I'm probably going to let it slide.

I let it slide, I let it slip on by
Giving you one last try to kill it with the eye

I agree.  I figure if there's going to be enough of an issue to cause a physical altercation, it's basically down to someone getting killed.  That's where the seriousness level has to be for me to get into it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 08:45:31 AM
There are no words worth getting into a physical altercation over.

What if someone called you a nigger?  Would you throw down or just be really confused?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27321.msg1711721#msg1711721 date=1335797316
I let it slide, I let it slip on by
Giving you one last try to kill it with the eye

I agree.  I figure if there's going to be enough of an issue to cause a physical altercation, it's basically down to someone getting killed.  That's where the seriousness level has to be for me to get into it. 

Sometimes it can't be helped. For example, the other day my friend and his buddy were riding the light rail in Denver and some yahoo came along and started hitting one of them in the face for no reason, so they had to beat the guy's ass.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Too old for that shit, and so are you, Tony. I did give my asshole neighbour a shove for calling my daughter a liar, but it wasn't the right course of action. There are other ways to handle conflict.

280Z Turbo

Picking a fight over petty shit is why Trayvon Martin is dead and George Zimmerman is in jail. Not a good idea. These things can escalate quickly, especially if someone is packing heat.