Brilliance Greater China Concept!

Started by 2o6, April 30, 2012, 12:28:08 PM

2o6

Since Beijing has passed and I have been trying to refrain from posting Chinese Crap, I present to you an actually decent looking concept: The Brilliance Greater China II (Original debuted in Hong Kong, IIRC and had no interior)

Also debuted at the show, is Brilliance's H230 sedan. B-segment sedan, will likely replace older FRV and FSV models.
Small little B-segment sedan that slots under the FSV and H530.

EDIT: Found some good pictures. All in Chinese, though.

http://photo.bitauto.com/exhibit/carmore/46294/1.html

2o6

The Greater China concept is rumored to use the old 5-series as a basis for production. Who knows if that's legit or not, but it sounds really cool.

CJ

The concept doesn't look terrible, but that white thing looks like an aborted fetus.

2o6

I think it's stylistically pretty dull, honestly. It looks competent, which is the good thing.

LonghornTX

Eh, both of them look
Quote from: 2o6 on April 30, 2012, 12:29:17 PM
The Greater China concept is rumored to use the old 5-series as a basis for production. Who knows if that's legit or not, but it sounds really cool.
It certainly looks like a rip-off of the F10 styling wise. Nothing about the white one looks anything but boring, derivative or cheap
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

2o6

LonghornTX

Laconian

They even ripped off the Euro pedestrian safety grille. :facepalm:

If they're selling to a market that has zero safety standards, they might as well take advantage of that and make cars that aren't so snub-nosed. :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 01, 2012, 10:58:09 PM

Pretty clear to me

I see it in the front Fascia, but lest we forget Brilliance is BMW's partner.

I don't think its as much of a "copy" as the Fiesta and Accent?

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 01, 2012, 11:04:13 PM
They even ripped off the Euro pedestrian safety grille. :facepalm:

If they're selling to a market that has zero safety standards, they might as well take advantage of that and make cars that aren't so snub-nosed. :facepalm:

The rest of the car is so vastly different, though. Brillliance is one of Chinas better makes.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 11:10:05 PM

The rest of the car is so vastly different, though. Brillliance is one of Chinas better makes.

If that interior comes from one of China's better makes, I'll pass on Chinese cars for 20 years or so and then check back...

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on May 01, 2012, 11:11:51 PM
If that interior comes from one of China's better makes, I'll pass on Chinese cars for 20 years or so and then check back...

Looks to be on par with similar western makes.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 11:07:37 PM
I see it in the front Fascia, but lest we forget Brilliance is BMW's partner.

I don't think its as much of a "copy" as the Fiesta and Accent?
You must really have a thing for Chinese cars. It is all over the car (more F01 in the rear). And no, it is much more of a copy than the Fiesta and Accent.

BTW, as you probably know, they are a partner by Chinese govt. mandate, not because they want to be. Pretty much one of the reasons I despise the Chinese auto industry...they only progress on the backs of forced partnerships with Western and other Asian companies.

2o6

I'm just optimistic. I used to be far more optomistic; ask any of the members here.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 11:10:05 PM

Vastly different is a bit of an overstatement, no?

2o6

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 01, 2012, 11:26:58 PM
Vastly different is a bit of an overstatement, no?

I dont think so, theyre preportioned totally different.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 11:26:36 PM
I'm just optimistic. I used to be far more optomistic; ask any of the members here.
Optimistic about what? That their cars will get better? Of course they will, eventually, especially with the system they have in place. But I will argue that until they free themselves of their self imposed creative collar (their ties with other companies), they will never make anything that looks truly original, or is a truly great car.

Laconian

I think the Chinese companies ****love**** having partnerships with Western companies, regardless of sector.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

Chris brings up a good point, though. There's absolutely no way these things will match up, safety wise, with western competition. And I wouldn't trust that half the components aren't made of lead, or something.

2o6

Hmmn, so reports say that when this model reaches production, it will be based upon the old 5-series platform.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/07/17/brilliance-greater-china-will-be-based-on-platform-old-bmw-5li/

That's kinda cool.....

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 2o6 on July 19, 2012, 10:23:00 PM
Hmmn, so reports say that when this model reaches production, it will be based upon the old 5-series platform.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/07/17/brilliance-greater-china-will-be-based-on-platform-old-bmw-5li/

That's kinda cool.....

They took apart a 5 series and illegally copied every part using a laser scanner and CMM.

Sweet engineering guys.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 19, 2012, 10:26:47 PM
They took apart a 5 series and illegally copied every part using a laser scanner and CMM.

Sweet engineering guys.

BMW and Brilliance are partners.

2o6

I don't work in the industry, and I thought this was a cool tidbit, but whatever.

MrH

that came out really harsh. My bad. Post retracted. Sorry bout that. Interesting they're going to try and use an old 5 series platform,but still a shit car :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

That Greater China Concept seems to have styling cues from the Kia K9 (front), Fisker Karma (side) and melted down Audi A7 (rear).

But tell me: is it at least RWD? Can an enthusiast at least get a boner from driving this thing?  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on May 01, 2012, 11:39:29 PM
I think the Chinese companies ****love**** having partnerships government mandated transfers of intellectual property with Western companies, regardless of sector.

FTFY
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 20, 2012, 04:49:11 AM
That Greater China Concept seems to have styling cues from the Kia K9 (front), Fisker Karma (side) and melted down Audi A7 (rear).

But tell me: is it at least RWD? Can an enthusiast at least get a boner from driving this thing?  :lol:

No.  They took the previous generation 5-series platform and engineered it into a FWD car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5