Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

Lebowski

328i over a mustang is a no brainer.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 03, 2012, 12:20:17 PM
We can only get the AWD up here, so if I do get it, I will definitely buy it in the US so I can get RWD.

As to the want for a rear driver, the G37x is the better handler and performer vs. the G37, and otherwise the AWD system is incredible; better than most. There is zero AWD-typical plow or understeer and otherwise the system is designed to imbue a bit of oversteer when things get sporty.

I haven't driven the previous-gen 3er anywhere near its limits but what I did drive didn't have any material advantage over the G, and in most comparisons (esp. research TTAC and their comparisons) the 3er's advantage isn't felt until until 9/10ths and above, and then it's quite small.

I think the (used) 328i would be a mistake. Not only is it tight for family the ownership costs will likely be immense vs. the G. The G will also be a significantly faster car, and with the AWD will be much better in the wet (why I opted for it) and the snow.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on May 04, 2012, 01:18:09 PM
STS-V would be badass actually.
Not really.  It looks like an old man's car.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2012, 12:37:01 PM
As to the want for a rear driver, the G37x is the better handler and performer vs. the G37, and otherwise the AWD system is incredible; better than most. There is zero AWD-typical plow or understeer and otherwise the system is designed to imbue a bit of oversteer when things get sporty.
I've driven an AWD Sedan and the RWD coupe, and the RWD just has better steering feel, not to mention the car being lighter.  I agree that the AWD in the Infiniti is nice and doesn't intrude too much, but I just like RWD driving dynamics better.

QuoteI haven't driven the previous-gen 3er anywhere near its limits but what I did drive didn't have any material advantage over the G, and in most comparisons (esp. research TTAC and their comparisons) the 3er's advantage isn't felt until until 9/10ths and above, and then it's quite small.
I've driven both and the BMW feels like it was milled out of a solid block of steel.  The Infiniti is nice and I really like it, but it doesn't have the quality and solidity found in the BMW.

QuoteI think the (used) 328i would be a mistake. Not only is it tight for family the ownership costs will likely be immense vs. the G. The G will also be a significantly faster car, and with the AWD will be much better in the wet (why I opted for it) and the snow.
We still have the Explorer for winter jaunts through the mountains and to the ski hills, and for those times we need to take more than just the 4 of us, and for those times when we have so much luggage that it won't fit in the trunk.  We're even looking at convertibles so we're not overly concerned about those things.

SVT666

What is everyone's opinion on BMW's leatherette?  I find it feels very much like their leather.

SVT666

Mustang vert is out.  Just as I thought there is nowhere near enough room in the back seat.

SVT666

We're going to go drive the Infiniti G37 and BMW 328i tomorrow.  Maybe even the Cadillac CTS.  The nice thing about Infiniti and BMW is that they offer 0.9% on their CPO cars.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2012, 03:47:39 PM
Mustang vert is out.  Just as I thought there is nowhere near enough room in the back seat.

Really? I can fit back there for at least an hour or two.

Or do you have car seats still?

CJ

I don't like BMW seats too much. The leatherette is quite good, but the leather isn't as good as Mercedes.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 04, 2012, 03:57:11 PM
Really? I can fit back there for at least an hour or two.

Or do you have car seats still?
How short were the people sitting in the front seats?  I set the seats where it's comfortable for me and there was no more than 2" or 3" behind the seat.

SVT666

Comparable C-classes are about $5000 more.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2012, 05:14:33 PM
How short were the people sitting in the front seats?  I set the seats where it's comfortable for me and there was no more than 2" or 3" behind the seat.

Around 6'. There wasn't much space between the seats, but the cushion is long enough to fit my upper legs so I just needed a few inches for my lower legs to fit between.

Of course, I can also fit into the backseat of our Camaro, which is even smaller. Maybe I'm just a contortionist.  :lol:

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2012, 03:32:32 PM
What is everyone's opinion on BMW's leatherette?  I find it feels very much like their leather.

My last experience with it was in a Z4 about two years ago. I thought it was junk. I thought the whole interior of that car was 'meh'.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2012, 03:23:18 PM
Not really.  It looks like an old man's car.

No more than any other car on your list.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2012, 11:07:01 AM
You will regret this. So much.

Keep the Focus. Get your wife whatever she wants, but less whatever you would make from selling the Focus. This is a bad idea.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 05, 2012, 01:46:31 PM
Keep the Focus. Get your wife whatever she wants, but less whatever you would make from selling the Focus. This is a bad idea.
We need the Explorer and she can't drive the Focus.  We already tried selling the Explorer so we could buy a sedan and a beater truck for boat and camping duties, but we didn't get a single call and we were priced at the bottom end of the market.  Nobody wants gas guzzlers with gas prices jumping every few weeks.  The only alternative is to sell my car and buy a sedan and share the two vehicles.  Makes a lot more sense for us.  

EDIT:  I needed to get the boat into the boat shop to get ready for the season and it took me nearly two weeks to get it there because she was driving all over the place for work.

2o6

What's wrong with having three vehicles?

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on May 03, 2012, 03:53:31 PM
It was effectively discontinued by that point. The earlier ones should be easy enough to find.

ell-oh-ell

His criteria is 5≥ years old, right?

Since 2007 Acura has sold... wait for it... 534 RLs. Total.

They're not worth seeking out.

EDIT: I looked up sales figures for the Saab 9-5, a car that wasn't even on sale in Canada in 2010. Since 2007 Saab has sold 671 of them.

YTD Saab dealers, peddling a now defunct brand, have sold 3 9-5s. Acura dealers, nation-wide, have sold 5 RLs. :lol:

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on May 05, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
What's wrong with having three vehicles?

Insurance + maintenance + fuel on another vehicle can be expensive.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on May 05, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
ell-oh-ell

His criteria is 5≥ years old, right?

Since 2007 Acura has sold... wait for it... 534 RLs. Total.

They're not worth seeking out.

EDIT: I looked up sales figures for the Saab 9-5, a car that wasn't even on sale in Canada in 2010. Since 2007 Saab has sold 671 of them.

YTD Saab dealers, peddling a now defunct brand, have sold 3 9-5s. Acura dealers, nation-wide, have sold 5 RLs. :lol:

Maybe you folks have better taste than you're given credit for.

MexicoCityM3

so how did your test drives go?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on May 05, 2012, 02:34:54 PM
We need the Explorer and she can't drive the Focus.  We already tried selling the Explorer so we could buy a sedan and a beater truck for boat and camping duties, but we didn't get a single call and we were priced at the bottom end of the market.  Nobody wants gas guzzlers with gas prices jumping every few weeks.  The only alternative is to sell my car and buy a sedan and share the two vehicles.  Makes a lot more sense for us. 

EDIT:  I needed to get the boat into the boat shop to get ready for the season and it took me nearly two weeks to get it there because she was driving all over the place for work.
Like I said, keep the Focus, get her a used car. How much is insurance on the Focus & Exploder?

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2012, 08:11:10 AM
Like I said, keep the Focus, get her a used car. How much is insurance on the Focus & Exploder?
We don't have room for 3 cars, a boat, a tent trailer, and a utility trailer.  The tent trailer is already being stored at my parents' place, but the boat and utility trailer have to stay at the house since I use the boat starting next weekend for the next 4-5 months, and the utility trailer gets used all the time.

Insurance on the Explorer is $1300 and the Focus is $1100.

Lebowski

Sell the exploder and the boat, get her something practical.

SVT666

Now you're just talking stupid.  The boat is going nowhere and we already tried to sell the Explorer.

Lebowski

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on May 07, 2012, 10:01:37 AM
Sell the exploder and the boat, get her something practical.

+1
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

On Saturday we drove a 2008 BMW 328i, a 2008 Infiniti G35x, and a 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI.  Both BMW and Infiniti offer 0.9% over 48 months on their CPO cars.  BMW provides a 6 year protection plan as well.

2008 Infiniti G35x
Pros:
- Looks great
- Drives well
- very good handling
- lots of power
- big trunk
- nice seats
- better leather than the BMW
- Great interior styling
- 0.9% Financing

Cons:
- Cheapness found in some interior trim pieces
- engine is coarse at higher rpms
- auto transmission is very slow to react to manual inputs
- doesn't feel as solid as the BMW and kind of feels like a really nice Nissan
- Steering feel is muted compared to the BMW

2008 BMW 328i[/i]
Pros:
- Classic BMW styling that will age more gracefully than the other two cars
- Solid feel like it was milled out of a solid piece of steel
- it feels more "special" than the other two cars
- The handling is a step above the Infiniti and 3 steps above the Cadillac
- Comfortable seats
- Interior feels and looks high quality
- Back seat feels as roomy as the Infiniti and Cadillac despite being smaller
- Great steering feel
- Auto transmission reacts instantaneously to manual inputs
- I6 smoothness
- Non traditional cup holders are actually more useful
- 0.9% Financing

Cons:
- Small trunk
- Leather feels hard
- Slowest of the group

2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI
- Exterior looks great
- Interior looks great
- Quiet.  Super quiet.
- Very good power
- Once into the corners, it handles very well
- Big trunk
- Nice engine growl at WOT
- Buttery smooth, yet taut ride
- Cool pop up GPS

Cons:
- Center console makes noise during cornering
- General cheapness in the interior despite the great styling
- Tranny is quicker to react to manual inputs than the Infiniti, but not as fast as the BMW
- Seats have zero lateral support
- The car almost resists spirited driving
- Possibly too quiet
- Cool pop-up GPS is ugly when up
- Bank rates for the Financing (~6.5%)

SVT666