So I am driving an Audi Q7 for a week

Started by SJ_GTI, May 07, 2012, 01:58:15 PM

68_427

The Borla tips are pretty decent looking, and IIRC they make some pretty mild exhausts.  What about an intake just to get some more intake noise in the cabin?

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Those tips actually look quite good. The other thing I don't like is that many systems are chromed/polished SS masterpieces of $1,000 or more. Yikes! To do it I'd need to spend time with a car with. I just checked - they only offer exhaust for the G37 coupe.

I would never trust a custom intake (i.e., custom filter). Plus, to rout the airbox intakes to the factory location the whole front of the car has to come off. I'm also not a big fan of intake roar really.

SVT666

The reason the G37 sedan sounds better than the coupe is because the intake is different.  I wouldn't want to mess with that anyway.  You can get a little more noise from your exhaust by going to a high flow catalytic converter.

68_427

Ah.  No wonder I didn't see any sedan pictures on google.  :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

Quote from: GoCougs on May 11, 2012, 11:22:41 AM
I too have been thinking of an exhaust upgrade but based on pretty much every YouTube video most any aftermarket system is simply way too loud or drones - I want maybe at best 5-10% more sound, and no droning. I also want to retain the stock exhaust tips - the big chromed fart can tips ain't for me either.

Your engine really likes to go "moo" with any kind of exhaust on it. Anyone with an ear for them can hear the VQ Moo a block away even with stock exhausts, I'd leave it as-is.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 11, 2012, 01:11:22 PM
The reason the G37 sedan sounds better than the coupe is because the intake is different.  I wouldn't want to mess with that anyway.  You can get a little more noise from your exhaust by going to a high flow catalytic converter.

The intake is identical between sedan and coupe; the sound difference is the exhaust. The sedan uses an two independent inline mufflers and the coupe uses a single two-into-one transverse muffler.

GoCougs

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 11, 2012, 04:54:32 PM
Your engine really likes to go "moo" with any kind of exhaust on it. Anyone with an ear for them can hear the VQ Moo a block away even with stock exhausts, I'd leave it as-is.

She definitely has a unique drone. Typically the stock coupe is much louder/more pronounced than the sedan.

Tanabe axle back (just mufflers, leaves stock resonators in tact) seems to be the quietest, but holy hell $800 for basically two mufflers and some piping!

Laconian

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 11, 2012, 04:54:32 PM
Heheh, I think of the VQ exhaust as sounding like "whore". Whooooooorrrreeee (shift) whorrrrrrrrreeee (shift) whorrrrreeee...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

How do I do launch control in a 2012 S4?

Friends dad has another one.
'racecar is die'
no

AltinD

Is the function activated? Just press the brake and the gas pedal. If the RPM do not go higher then a certain number (con't remember 2500 or 3200) then the function isn't activated and it needs to (on the car computer via VAG COM or whatever Audi calls it)

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Probably some silly combination of holding sport buttons and tap dancing on the brake and gas.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Turn the key to ignition after it's already started. Stomp on the gas pedal while you hear a grinding sound.

do not do this
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT