Toyota Corolla Axio....

Started by 2o6, May 10, 2012, 09:27:43 PM

2o6

Please god, don't let this be a precursor to our Corolla in any way.

As you guys know, Toyota Corolla is almost it's separate make, with most cars using the "Toyota Corolla" badging generally riding on the Corolla platform. The Corolla Altis is our current Corolla. The now previous gen Axio is also very similar, with some measurements slightly cut down.

And here's the now old Corolla Fielder; just a Corolla wagon.

Here's the new one....

http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120511_531755.html

It's only a hair longer than the current Toyota Belta (my Yaris sedan). I wonder if this is a replacement.

2o6

Looking at it again, it's not as bad as when I first laid eyes on it. It's still no beauty queen, though. The old models looked wayyyy better.

Payman

The side profile reminds me of...

Vinsanity

Yikes. Looks like a Chinese knockoff of a VW Jetta, with a rear window wiper tacked on.

ifcar

Quote from: Rockraven on May 10, 2012, 10:21:46 PM
The side profile reminds me of...

My first thought as well.

Still, it could be worse. It's unapologetically cheap-looking and basic, but it's cleanly designed.

sportyaccordy

Looks roomier, but also looks significantly cheaper and 3rd world

This is probably going to be strictly for "developing markets"

Raza

It looks like an old Sentra had sex with an old Suzuki Aerio sedan.  

I mean, whatever.  It's not like the current model looks good, or any Toyota needs to look good to sell well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

True, but this doesn't even look like a Toyota, which is saying a lot

2o6

It sort of reminds me of the current Subaru Legacy. You could scrape off the Toyota badges and slap on the "Justy" moniker, and it'll look right at home.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 11, 2012, 06:56:21 AM
Looks roomier, but also looks significantly cheaper and 3rd world

This is probably going to be strictly for "developing markets"

It's being sold in Japan. Besides, the 3rd world developing market car of this size is the Etios.

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 10, 2012, 10:30:35 PM
Yikes. Looks like a Chinese knockoff of a VW Jetta, with a rear window wiper tacked on.

My thoughts exactly.  Looks like Toyota has abandoned aping the styling of mid-2000s Mazdas and set their sights on VW this time around.  With a bit of Subaru in the grille design.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

I wonder if this will be the new Yaris Sedan for the US.

2o6

The Modellista kid ALMOST helps. ALMOST.

The more I look at it, the less I am repulsed by it. I SORT OF like the station wagon. Looks a lot more cohesive than the Fit Shuttle....

CALL_911

The sedan's nasty, but I rather like the wagon.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

This car seriously looks like a knockoff Suzuki Verona

So cheap in appearance

Payman

I actually like that silver Shuttle.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on May 13, 2012, 09:55:14 AM

I actually like that silver Shuttle.

I take it back, I sort of like the Shuttle.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2012, 09:50:09 AM
This car seriously looks like a knockoff Suzuki Verona

So cheap in appearance

My car looks so much better.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2012, 12:19:46 PM
I take it back, I sort of like the Shuttle.

I don't mind the Shuttle, but then again, I quite like the Fit.

My car looks so much better.

Nah

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 13, 2012, 06:11:03 PM
I don't mind the Shuttle, but then again, I quite like the Fit.

Nah

Holy crap, yes.

The Belta at least has a sort of style going for it, with it's faster lines, shapely surfacing, and good proportions (for a B-segment sedan).

The car rides well on it's wheels. Even with balloon tires, it still manages to look OK.

The Corolla Axio looks cheaper, far less elegant, and has atrocious proportions.

omicron

It looks ten years old already.

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2012, 06:15:40 PM
The Belta at least has a sort of style going for it, with it's faster lines, shapely surfacing, and good proportions (for a B-segment sedan).

I........couldn't disagree more. But then, we've been over this previously.

hotrodalex

The wagon is better than the sedan.

2o6

I'm wondering how close this Axio and the Impreza are. I know Toyota owns a nice chunk of Subaru now, and they're partnering up a lot on designs, BRZ being one of them.

I'm wondering if our Corolla will be very similar to the Impreza (and this Axio)

The Impreza actually shares a little bit proportionally with the Corolla Axio. Same long overhangs, same absurdly tiny wheels, same lack of tumblehome in the top of the design. The Impreza just looks wider.