Infiniti Confirms New G37 in 2013, Likely for '14 Model Year: Countdown is on!

Started by Atomic, May 14, 2012, 05:41:02 PM

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2012, 02:58:03 PM
Guys, THINK first. This a second gen G sedan with second gen G sedan stuff. Don't get suckered by gossip and hype.

Why couldn't it possibly be testing a mercedes diesel or small 4cyl engine for future use in the next gen G for use in Europe?  As has been specified in an agreement between the two, already.

alctantara wheel could be so the hands stay warmer vs leather when engineers are working with laptops and without their gloves on
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2012, 02:58:03 PM
Guys, THINK first. This a second gen G sedan with second gen G sedan stuff. Don't get suckered by gossip and hype.

He's just doing it to fuck with you guys. I have to believe that. Nobody could be this stupid.

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 17, 2012, 03:31:42 PM
Why couldn't it possibly be testing a mercedes diesel or small 4cyl engine for future use in the next gen G for use in Europe?  As has been specified in an agreement between the two, already.

alctantara wheel could be so the hands stay warmer vs leather when engineers are working with laptops and without their gloves on

There is always the "possible" in the infinite.

With ZERO proof other than some pictures of both the inside and outside of a 2nd gen G sedan we have calls of it being a test mule for the new G for anything from suspension, to engine, to chassis (lol on that last one).

It fits under the classic "if you can't prove it, it doesn't exist" category. One thing for sure, there are is no new G suspension or chassis testing happening, and owing to the pristine cleanliness of the exhaust tips, this ain't looking like no diesel either.

SVT666

Now I'm not sure if Cougs is serious or if he's just being a dickhead.

GoCougs

How about you turkeys, rather than trolling and name calling, PROVE to me this is a 3rd gen G mule, esp. for the often-mention attributes suspension, diesel engine or chassis? We ALL plainly see a second-gen G sedan inside and out with some goofy mods (debadged, Borla-esque exhaust, custom steering wheel and shifter, and what looks like some ricer-esque mods - ECU port hookup).

Like I've said numerous times, if this is some sort of mule it must boe for NON-MATERIAL things - nav, TC, HVAC, etc.

SVT666

There are so many things that give it away as a test mule it's not even funny.  The fact that you are arguing so vehemently against such a thing makes you look really fucking stupid Cougs.

Catman

Someone probably already posted this

QuoteSpring is in the air, but in Northern Sweden, where these latest spy photos come from, winter testing is ongoing. Shown here are test mules for the next generation Infiniti G sedan and this rare glimpse of a Japanese car where the German automakers normally do their testing is no coincidence.

Spotted leaving a Mercedes-Benz test facility the cars also sounded distinctly like diesels. Infiniti and Mercedes have previously announced they will share engine technology and that Infiniti will get Mercedes diesel engines. More recently Infiniti filed for a trademark on the G22d name ? in addition to the G35h and G30t signifying the model line will add both a hybrid and a turbocharged 3.0-liter.

The test mules seen here, while closely resembling the current G models, do feature a slightly wider track, as well as added air intakes on the front bumper ? to help feed air to the intercoolers for both the diesel and turbo gasoline engines.

2o6

Quote from: Catman on May 17, 2012, 07:23:54 PM
Someone probably already posted this

I said that in every single one of my posts.

This thread has gone from entertaining to flat out dumb.

Quote from: Xer0 on May 17, 2012, 02:23:59 PM
You guys are getting trolled pretty badly.

Now the 'trolling' of his has just gotten trite.

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 17, 2012, 03:31:42 PM
Why couldn't it possibly be testing a mercedes diesel or small 4cyl engine for future use in the next gen G for use in Europe?  As has been specified in an agreement between the two, already.

The car is hacked together from G37 pieces. They just picked up a steering wheel and put it in there. It likely doesn't even have an airbag.
As

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2012, 04:36:46 PM

With ZERO proof other than some pictures of both the inside and outside of a 2nd gen G sedan we have calls of it being a test mule for the new G for anything from suspension, to engine, to chassis (lol on that last one).

You're cleverly ignoring the slightly different proportions, namely the widened track. Wheelbase and other aspects of the chassis would likely remain unchanged; new M rides on the Nissan FM platform; same thing as last year (albeit revised). The new G is likely going to use the same platform. There has been nothing to suggest that Nissan is into revising or creating a new RWD platform for only a few RWD cars.

You're ignoring the emergency stop button which is for testing of the new engine.

The car is outside an MB facility, surrounded by M45's.

It's likely just an engine mule, since nissan doesn't seem to have any inkling of working on a new RWD platform (at least, nothing we can visually see)

The steering column is taken apart for reasons we don't know.

The wheel itself is more basic than anything we've ever seen from Infinti.

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2012, 04:54:36 PM
How about you turkeys, rather than trolling and name calling, PROVE to me this is a 3rd gen G mule, esp. for the often-mention attributes suspension, diesel engine or chassis? We ALL plainly see a second-gen G sedan inside and out with some goofy mods (debadged, Borla-esque exhaust, custom steering wheel and shifter, and what looks like some ricer-esque mods - ECU port hookup).

Why am I seeing mules for the Ford Ecosport despite it being about to go on sale within weeks?

The new G might not have a diesel engine upon entry, or this mule could be for another model entirely.

Rupert

Again, guys, Cougs can claim victory because you are responding to his posts and otherwise feeding him troll food. If you do not feed the troll, the troll will move on to better forage, or die of starvation. Who cares what he really thinks of this car?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

nickdrinkwater

Cougs is right that the body for the new car will be finished by now and that this will be under test somewhere, under cover, however it is also possible that they are testing some of the components for the new car under disguise of the old one, especially if many of the other components are "carry-over" from the old car.  This is definitely manufacturer testing of some sort, I think that's obvious from the pix so I don't need to explain how it works.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rupert on May 17, 2012, 09:39:45 PM
Again, guys, Cougs can claim victory because you are responding to his posts and otherwise feeding him troll food. If you do not feed the troll, the troll will move on to better forage, or die of starvation. Who cares what he really thinks of this car?
Yea lets stop feeding this idiot and actually talk about the car

What do people think of Mercedes and Nissan sharing engines on competing models? Both are pretty much equally good at making engines (though the VQ37 is prob at the end of its rope NVH wise, which is bizarre given its overbore geometry). I am honestly shocked Nissan isn't developing a new engine platform on its own. The VQ will be 20 in 2 years. I also wonder if that G30t will be a V6 or a small 4 banger. I always thought Nissan should do a G30 and G40, but a base high tech 3.0 V6 and a turbo 3.0 as the upgrade makes a lot of sense. It will def be interesting to see what they decide to do and how this collaboration pans out.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 18, 2012, 04:50:10 AM

What do people think of Mercedes and Nissan sharing engines on competing models? Both are pretty much equally good at making engines (though the VQ37 is prob at the end of its rope NVH wise, which is bizarre given its overbore geometry). I am honestly shocked Nissan isn't developing a new engine platform on its own. The VQ will be 20 in 2 years. I also wonder if that G30t will be a V6 or a small 4 banger. I always thought Nissan should do a G30 and G40, but a base high tech 3.0 V6 and a turbo 3.0 as the upgrade makes a lot of sense. It will def be interesting to see what they decide to do and how this collaboration pans out.

Nissan's engine development since the VQ has been pretty weak.  Outside of the VQ family (and I include the VQ derived VR engine from the GT-R as part of the VQ family), there isn't a single motor offered in a Nissan/Infiniti product, in North America at least, that I would consider anything more than mediocre.  Particularly their 4-cylinders.

The QR family of 4 cylinders that replaced the coarse, workhorse KAs aren't much of an improvement beyond power output.  Still thirsy, still coarse, and unlike the KA they aren't bulletproof (oil consumption issues).

The MR motor that ultimately replaced the SR is a bit more fuel efficient (and I'm sure emissions have improved), but makes no more power than the SR made 20 years ago.  In a time when most manufacturers are offering 150+ hp naturally aspirated 2.0L motors in cars getting 35+ mpg, a 140 hp motor that only gets 31 mpg just doesn't cut it.  And their 122 hp 1.8L version is again, down on power compared to pretty much all competitors.  There's a more potent, 130 hp version of the 1.8, but even that is off the mark (albeit by a much smaller margin).

Their VK V8s are OK, but unremarkable.  In the case of the Titan, Armada and Pathfinder, not really competitive anymore.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

You're right, and I'm surprised, as in the 90s Nissan was cutting edge. Ghosn's cost cutting measures saved the company, but now it's time to spend again. I don't think any of Nissan's engines have DI, for example. Again though, def not sure piggybacking onto a competitor is a good idea.

Really it could be argued that the VQ saved Nissan in spite of Ghosn's wild cost cutting. W/competition mounting it might be time for Nissan to have a 4 cylinder VQ moment, just in time for the VQ's 20th anniversary. As is, you're right, they've really got nothing too special going on in their volume models.

GoCougs

GoCougs

Nissan's VK is a great motor - 420 N/A hp and class average MPG whereas ze Germans had to revert to turbo V8s to do the same (albeit ze Germans also have displacement haterism to deal with in Europe).

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2012, 07:34:34 AM
Nissan's VK is a great motor - 420 N/A hp and class average MPG whereas ze Germans had to revert to turbo V8s to do the same (albeit ze Germans also have displacement haterism to deal with in Europe).

The VK50 is class competitive.  The VK56, particularly the variant used in the Titan/Armada/Pathfinder, is outclassed by practically everything else in that class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2012, 07:34:34 AM

Wrong on all counts. For fucks sake the E63 gets the same gas mileage out of the same displacement with two turbos, 120 more HP and a good 200 + more lb ft torque. E500 4matic has the same displacement, AWD, more HP + torque, and gets better gas mileage. I hate turbos like anyone else but if anything the M56 shows why they are a good idea in this segment. Space age valvetrain to have average gas mileage and below average performance... hardly seems like a win

I had a lot of hope for continuously variable valve lift, and maybe someone else will make it worthwhile. But it def disappointed me in the VQ & VK

GoCougs

E550 4Matic:  16/26
550i XDrive:  15/20
M56x:  16/23

And some relative comparisons (size/weight, HP) not in the class:
300C AWD:  15/23
LS460 AWD:  16/23
CLS550 4Matic:  16/25

Also note the Infiniti V8 is a bit old school without DI and for all intents an purposes, being 10+ years old and has class average EPA MPG. Sorry, overall IMO the Japanese are building better motors (V6 and V8)  than the Germans at present.  :huh:

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2012, 11:57:41 AM

Also note the Infiniti V8 is a bit old school without DI and for all intents an purposes, being 10+ years old and has class average EPA MPG. Sorry, overall IMO the Japanese are building better motors (V6 and V8)  than the Germans at present.  :huh:
More reliable maybe, but not better. 

TurboDan

And really, can't we drop the reliability bit already? When stupid Americans treat their Beamer like their F-150 Redneckmobile, bad things happen. Are we surprised at this? If American owners kept up with proper maintenance there would be FAR less problems.  :devil:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2012, 11:57:41 AM

How is the VK56VD 10 years old... the first car it was used in was the 2010 Nissan Patrol

And better by what metrics? In the V6 realm the Japanese are either on par or worse (in the case of the VQ with its NVH and oil consumption). Bimmer's turbo engines, at least by metrics, are handily leading the pack (BMW is a Germanc company). In the V8 realm, they either don't exist or are down either on economy or power. And aside from BMW's HPFP problems, what reliability issues have the newest crop of German engines had? Hell Nissan itself is crying "onkel" by giving up on its engines and sourcing its next ones from MB. If you need any proof that is probably it.

Even through their history, on the upper end, Germans dominate. Where are the Japanese S54s and M156s?

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 19, 2012, 06:31:32 AM
How is the VK56VD 10 years old... the first car it was used in was the 2010 Nissan Patrol

And better by what metrics? In the V6 realm the Japanese are either on par or worse (in the case of the VQ with its NVH and oil consumption). Bimmer's turbo engines, at least by metrics, are handily leading the pack (BMW is a Germanc company). In the V8 realm, they either don't exist or are down either on economy or power. And aside from BMW's HPFP problems, what reliability issues have the newest crop of German engines had? Hell Nissan itself is crying "onkel" by giving up on its engines and sourcing its next ones from MB. If you need any proof that is probably it.

Even through their history, on the upper end, Germans dominate. Where are the Japanese S54s and M156s?

Easy there - didn't say "VK56D" is 10 years old - said the Infiniti V8 is - the VK debuted in 2002.

IMO, which you're not going to change, is that overall the Japanese are building better motors than the Germans.

LonghornTX

Thank you for this, there gets to be a point where every thread gets ruined by troll fodder.

I thought it particularly interesting, when discussing Nissan (and by proxy Infiniti) and MB's collaberation, Ghosn mentioned this:

"People buying Infiniti or Daimler, they don't cross-shop between the two brands.... We came to the conclusion that Mercedes collaborating with Infiniti will not be hurting each other."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/11/next-infiniti-g-to-use-mercedes-sourced-engines/

I definitely think people cross shop these two brands in the US...
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

GoCougs

You actually have to know what you're talking about to talk about these cars - "overbore" has nothing to do with NVH.

M-B's V6s and I4s are mediocre; is that all of sudden going to change due to a collaboration? Maybe, but not holding out a lot of hope.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 19, 2012, 12:12:06 PM
Thank you for this, there gets to be a point where every thread gets ruined by troll fodder.

I thought it particularly interesting, when discussing Nissan (and by proxy Infiniti) and MB's collaberation, Ghosn mentioned this:

"People buying Infiniti or Daimler, they don't cross-shop between the two brands.... We came to the conclusion that Mercedes collaborating with Infiniti will not be hurting each other."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/11/next-infiniti-g-to-use-mercedes-sourced-engines/

I definitely think people cross shop these two brands in the US...
People def do cross shop... but I am not so sure the sharing of engines will matter, when I think about it. People who buy Benzes don't care than Infinitis offer much of the same experience at a discount, and people who buy Infinitis won't pony up for Benzes, especially if the motors are the same.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on May 19, 2012, 09:18:31 AM
Easy there - didn't say "VK56D" is 10 years old - said the Infiniti V8 is - the VK debuted in 2002.

IMO, which you're not going to change, is that overall the Japanese are building better motors than the Germans.
Would you agree there are some pretty big differences between the VK45DE and the VK56VD

Which would make the VK's time in existence irrelevant?
Quote from: GoCougs on May 19, 2012, 03:17:10 PM

You actually have to know what you're talking about to talk about these cars - "overbore" has nothing to do with NVH.

M-B's V6s and I4s are mediocre; is that all of sudden going to change due to a collaboration? Maybe, but not holding out a lot of hope.
Longer strokes = higher piston speeds = more vibration = more NVH :huh:

Mercedes V6s are class leading. At the minimum, better than the comparably coarse VQs, w/no penalties in output or efficiency

But hey what do I know