Infiniti Confirms New G37 in 2013, Likely for '14 Model Year: Countdown is on!

Started by Atomic, May 14, 2012, 05:41:02 PM

GoCougs

sportyaccordy

Its a test mule

But yea, not really news till we get details and actual pictures.

GoCougs

So what pray tell can they "test" if the "new" car is the same as the current (old) car?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 06:27:59 PM
So what pray tell can they "test" if the "new" car is the same as the current (old) car?
Who says its the same car? They're probably doing powertrain testing and want to disguise the car. Other manufacturers do the same all the time.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Judging from the rolled fenders and slightly wider stance, it may be a chassis mule with old car parts on it.

Chassis, or possibly powertrain.

Here's a mule for the new ATS.

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 14, 2012, 06:18:11 PM
Its a test mule

But yea, not really news till we get details and actual pictures.
I was disappointed when the news was released, too, as I was hoping for a great spy shot. My report was more about Infiniti committing to the new model and their alleged move from a fall 2013 release date to an earlier intro. This move was likely due to the onslaught of competition below it, above it and smack dab at it from Acura, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz... Even Cadillac and Lincoln and perhaps from Hyundai, Kia, Toyota (Avalon for '13) and Volvo. Great couple of years in this near-luxury and luxury luxury-sports sedan category.

sportyaccordy

You do realize there is more to a car than sheetmetal

They are prob running new powertrains and suspensions within the old shell :huh:

SVT666

GoCougs

The "mule" theory doesn't work for me considering the assertion/knowledge that the 3rd gen G will debut in ~6-8 months (first as the Skyline GT). This close to production the car by definition has to be essentially done. Also note that with a unit-body car sheet metal = chassis. Outside that bolting new suspension and engines into an existing chassis ain't going to tell much; certainly not the fine tuning only possible with relatively little time till debut. Sorry, I see a 2nd gen G sedan testing at most basically inconsequential fiddly bits (nav, TC, lights, etc.) which definitely doesn't qualify as a mule.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 02:40:40 PM
The "mule" theory doesn't work for me considering the assertion/knowledge that the 3rd gen G will debut in ~6-8 months (first as the Skyline GT). This close to production the car by definition has to be essentially done. Also note that with a unit-body car sheet metal = chassis. Outside that bolting new suspension and engines into an existing chassis ain't going to tell much; certainly not the fine tuning only possible with relatively little time till debut. Sorry, I see a 2nd gen G sedan testing at most basically inconsequential fiddly bits (nav, TC, lights, etc.) which definitely doesn't qualify as a mule.

Honda's mules generally tend to be more hidden, they just introduce a new car out from nowhere. Besides, the mule I just posted of the ATS on a CTS body.

Besides, it's still unclear if the Skyline and G will continue to be the same, given the fact that Infiniti wants to increase market share in Europe. Lest we never forget the fact that MB and Nissan are teaming up on upscale four-cylinders.

Here's a chassis/platform mule of the next generation Audi TT.

If you notice, the proportions are ever-so-slightly different than the current TT (which this car shares it's exterior styling with), most notably the wheelbase and front overhang relationship (wheelbase looks to be a tad bit longer, and front overhang a tad bit shorter) resulting in custom-fabricated pieces to go over the new platform base (VW MQB, believed).

SVT666

Quote from: SVT666 on May 16, 2012, 02:17:03 PM
Forget trying to get through his concrete skull guys.

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 02:40:40 PM

Told ya.

2o6

Here's a chassis mule for the BRZ

One for the (now current) 3-series

We honestly don't know what this mule is. Who knows, it could be a mule for a Ford, for all we know.

GoCougs

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 05:58:43 PM
JESUS YOU PEOPLE. THAT IS A 2ND GEN G SEDAN.

.....with no proper wheels, awkward fender extensions and in an area of the world that is notorious for cold weather testing.

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 05:58:43 PM
JESUS YOU PEOPLE. THAT IS A 2ND GEN G SEDAN.

It's a shell you dolt!  The chassis is probably a completely different car! :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 16, 2012, 06:21:07 PM
.....with no proper wheels, awkward fender extensions and in an area of the world that is notorious for cold weather testing.

Those "no proper wheels" are steelies with dedicated snow tires (common) and those "fender extensions" are flimsy stick-on rubber strips to protect the wheel well edge from sand/rocks used for winter road maintenance (also common).

I also see it has a custom exhaust. The stock G sedan exhaust uses a muffler just upstream of each exhaust tip. This exhaust uses a transverse muffler; probably a single; which is common for aftermarket G exhausts. This looks like Borla (or at least the tips do; they're definitely not stock).

The car also does not have nav, has some sort of goofy aftermarket suede(like) shift nob, looks to have a custom steering wheel (no controls), and the interior is complete down to trim and leather seats. The Ethernet cable, missing shifter gate, disassembled steering column, and red button box are a bit puzzling but who knows?

Why would a mule for an "all new" car have this? My 80% bet these "spies" stumble upon some bloke who fancies himself a winter rally driver of some sort. At best my 25% guess is this is some sort of development vehicle but has nothing to do with (the major elements of) the new G37.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 07:41:22 PM
Those "no proper wheels" are steelies with dedicated snow tires (common) and those "fender extensions" are flimsy stick-on rubber strips to protect the wheel well edge from sand/rocks used for winter road maintenance (also common).

I also see it has a custom exhaust. The stock G sedan exhaust uses a muffler just upstream of each exhaust tip. This exhaust uses a transverse muffler; probably a single; which is common for aftermarket G exhausts. This looks like Borla (or at least the tips do; they're definitely not stock).

The car also does not have nav, has some sort of goofy aftermarket suede(like) shift nob, looks to have a custom steering wheel (no controls), and the interior is complete down to trim and leather seats. The Ethernet cable, missing shifter gate, disassembled steering column, and red button box are a bit puzzling but who knows?

Why would a mule for an "all new" car have this? My 80% bet these "spies" stumble upon some bloke who fancies himself a winter rally driver of some sort. At best my 25% guess is this is some sort of development vehicle but has nothing to do with (the major elements of) the new G37.

....so the two brand-new Infiniti M's (In Europe, of all places, where the M doesn't do very well) next to the G mean nothing? The ill-put on fender skirts (and what looks to be a slightly different front and rear track, but it could just be the images) don't mean anything? The totally mangled rear bumper means nothing? The fact that the shots were taken near a MB testing facility means nothing? (MB and Nissan are partnering on small engines, remember?)

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/08/next-gen-infiniti-g-mule-spotted-testing-in-sweden/

The red button box disables the engine. That piece of equipment is equipped on pretty much every automotive mule; just in case something happens (engine fire, uncontrollable power surge) the red button will shut the engine off.

C'mon cougs, get it together.

GoCougs

Jesus, as if the 'SPIN's technical prowess couldn't get any worse. You guys need to learn a lot more about how cars are designed. Beware the danger of automatic knowledge.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 08:33:34 PM
Jesus, as if the 'SPIN's technical prowess couldn't get any worse. You guys need to learn a lot more about how cars are designed. Beware the danger of automatic knowledge.

Cop out.

2o6

C'mon cougs, check your premise. Do you really think these professional spy photographers would be outside a MB testing facility and just take a picture of any old car? Especially a car that is obviously an engineering mule?

hotrodalex

I'm not sure what the argument here is. That's obviously not a next-gen G37. It may or may not be a test mule for something (wires in the interior make it seem like that's the case), but why does that matter? You can't tell anything from the picture other than it's a current G37 with some tacky bits. For a "spy" photograph, it's really quite pointless.

2o6

It's not pointless at all, it tells us a little about what the next G will be like, and that it's in progress.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 16, 2012, 08:35:08 PM
Cop out.

Yeah, not fair, I agree. However, if you can't tell this is a current gen G you're crazy IMO. There is no next-gen G mule testing going on here.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2012, 09:51:13 PM
Yeah, not fair, I agree. However, if you can't tell this is a current gen G you're crazy IMO. There is no next-gen G mule testing going on here.

Mhm, even with the engine stop button and the fact it's at an MB facility, OK.

Why am I seeing mules for the Ford Ecosport, despite the production model being released weeks ago, and the styling and everything being known about the car months ago?

SVT666

It looks like it is a current G, but I will almost guarantee it's a powertrain mule for the next car.