Your favorite racetrack

Started by 2o6, May 17, 2012, 11:29:43 PM

2o6

Nurburgring excluded. (well, not really. I just don't want everyone to pick this track out of default)

Granted, a lot of us haven't had track time, and have only experienced these tracks in video games.

What is your favorite race track (real or otherwise) that you have either raced on in real life, or in a video game?

280Z Turbo

Grattan Raceway

Belding, Michigan

CALL_911

I always like racing on the ring when I play GT4/5, but Laguna Seca's pretty awesome too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

That forest something one in GT.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

nickdrinkwater

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on May 18, 2012, 01:14:11 AM
That forest something one in GT.

Deep Forest or Trial Mountain?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

1. Old Monza with the full Parabollica
2. SPA Francorchamps
3. Mosport
4. Watkins Glen
5. Laguna Seca

omicron

Vinsanity

My favorite memories were of barrelling down Pikes Peak in my 380-hp Subaru Forester in GT2.

Rich

That I've been on:  Carolina Motorsports Park

NASCAR: Infineon, Watkins Glen, Pocono, Darlington, Atlanta

In Gran Turismo: Infineon and Laguna Seca
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MexicoCityM3

That I?ve driven, definitely this:

Road Atlanta
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Northlands

I have no idea. I've only driven on one track. ( local Gimli Raceway )

Ones I would love to drive. Not in any order.

1. Road Atlanta
2. Monza
3. Cirque de la Sarthe
4. Virginia International Raceway
5. Dunsford Airfield Top Gear Test Track
6. Nurburgring.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27446.msg1722361#msg1722361 date=1337338062
Deep Forest or Trial Mountain?

The one with that sharp corner after a tunnel into a canyon.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 18, 2012, 08:40:35 PM
Fuck you, that's my favourite, too. :rockon:

I was really good with a Ginetta G4 at that track. I managed to keep that car on the records board with modern race cars and stuff for a while.

NomisR

Laguna's pretty awesome, but the 92 db limit sucks.

sportyaccordy

In real life: whatever is the closest

GT4: Midfield Raceway, Deep Forest Raceway, Trial Mountain Circuit

I like Midfield in reverse for time trials/drifting, and the other two for drifting. Midfield Raceway lol. If I could get sideways all the way through turns 1-2, and then all the way through that long turn 6, it was a good lap. I miss that game.

Eye of the Tiger

Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca

Raza

Autumn Ring Mini might not be my favorite, but that was my handling test course. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Nah, I always tune suspension on Trial Mountain, unless it's a slow ass Kei-car.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2012, 10:46:00 PM
Nah, I always tune suspension on Trial Mountain, unless it's a slow ass Kei-car.

Trial Mountain has more types of corners, but if you wanted to see what the car could do when pushed to the absolute sideways limit for an entire track, Autumn Ring Mini was it.  The corner transition is so fast that power doesn't buy you a lot of time.  You can have a 200bhp car beat a 400bhp car there.  

In Forza, I am currently using the Top Gear test track as a handling/setup test.  It's actually a really challenging circuit, it always looks easy on TV.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Autumn Ring is damn near a go kart track. Most of the other tracks have tight hairpins, but they also have long sweepers, medium esses, etc.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2012, 09:21:22 AM
Autumn Ring is damn near a go kart track. Most of the other tracks have tight hairpins, but they also have long sweepers, medium esses, etc.

Yup.  That's why I love it for the ultimate handling test. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

I would figure a track w/more variety would be a better indicator of overall handling. I mean Midfield is a fast track, but it def has some really tight technical stuff too. I used to do time trials on it a lot and analyze the race plots. It was cool to see how different cars were strong in some sections and weak in others. W/Autumn Ring you really only got one kind of turn. You didn't get to see how cars behaved in transition from high speed braking or how stable they were during long sweepers. Its a fun track though.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2012, 09:46:04 AM
I would figure a track w/more variety would be a better indicator of overall handling. I mean Midfield is a fast track, but it def has some really tight technical stuff too. I used to do time trials on it a lot and analyze the race plots. It was cool to see how different cars were strong in some sections and weak in others. W/Autumn Ring you really only got one kind of turn. You didn't get to see how cars behaved in transition from high speed braking or how stable they were during long sweepers. Its a fun track though.

That's true.  I used it as a "low speed" handling track.  It didn't measure stability.  I forget what my higher speed handling track was.  Maybe Trial Mountain.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

It's def a great track with the right car.