large suv longevity

Started by veeman, May 18, 2012, 03:03:43 AM

veeman

I've noticed (at least in the northeast US where I live) that I hardly ever see any older ( > 10 years old) large SUVs on the road.  Except for land cruisers and land rovers.

I see tons of older sedans of all makes and models.  But when was the last time you saw an older early model lincoln navigator on the road?  Maybe in the south or california where it doesn't snow.  I don't know?

I have a feeling that some of it may have to do with using parts which are not really meant for dealing with the heavy weight of a large SUV.  Consequently they probably wear out a lot faster.  Things like shocks, brakes, etc.

What do you guys think?

mzziaz

Dunno.

Around here, such vehicles are mostly bought by entrepreneur type persons, who uses them pretty hard.
Cuore Sportivo

nickdrinkwater

Here (England) there are some older 4X4s around.  Tends to be Range Rovers, Jeeps, Toyotas and Mitsubishis that stand the test of time, and I think it's people moving into more fuel efficient cars that makes them disappear.  I don't think it's a mechanical thing, moreover that because of the price bracket that these things have fallen in to yet the higher running costs compared to cars of that age means that no-one wants them.  Meanwhile those who want the "status" are happy with higher fuel consumption and maintenance costs probably buy something newer and more fashionable.

AutobahnSHO

SUV buyers are the type who trade it in because they have to have something "current/cool". Many rarely use them for the S part.

So they are also the type who wouldn't buy one used. People who buy used are looking for economy, not a gas guzzler...
Will

veeman

Good points.  So what happens to them?  Where does a 5 year old navigator with 60,000 miles on the odometer go that no one wants.  Stripped down for parts and then into a landfill?  I guess so.

Submariner

Quote from: veeman on May 18, 2012, 07:28:26 AM
Good points.  So what happens to them?  Where does a 5 year old navigator with 60,000 miles on the odometer go that no one wants.  Stripped down for parts and then into a landfill?  I guess so.

Navigators are shitboxes, so yeah, right to the landfill they go, I'd imagine. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I think they're like large dogs.  Shorter life expectancy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

I'd bet the gas guzzler trade in program of a couple of yers ago took a lot of them off the road.  I'd also guess many of the older ones wind up heading south of the Rio Grande,

2o6

They go to poor people, especially in the Midwest. Check te prices on these things; really cheap for such a big car.

Those cars are fairly hardy; they tend to stay together.

Vinsanity

Actually, I've noticed the opposite. Most of the more vehicles still around from the 1990's are either Camcords, or 4Runners and Expeditions. My guess is that the old SUV's still around are being used as second vehicles, so they get used less often.

ifcar

I still see lots of Tahoe/Suburbans from the 2000-2006 generation, many of which I'm sure are 10 years old. I still see a few old Navigators, but they weren't huge volume sellers to begin with.

68_427

I see lots of them a well
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

I think the ones built in the '90s were poorly made and rattled apart before the cars did. It's so apparent when you ride in 12 year old Pathfinders and Explorers vs. 12 year old Accords and Camries.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colonel Cadillac

There are tons of old Suburbans down here in the South. I was in a Suburban taxi with 305,000 miles on it the other day.

Catman

I heard the NY State Police get 2-300,000 miles out of their Tahoes.

Secret Chimp

They use truck frames (albeit with different suspensions) and truck drivetrains. Save for extra electronics they should last as long as their pickup counterparts do.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Yep, and they do. My 13 year old SUV is still going strong.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

I'd agree with the OP.

Most of the old SUVs I see around here are old Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. But I'd add Jeep Cherokees and Jeep Wranglers to the bunch, honorable mention to the old 4Runners.

I honestly believe that true off-road folks maintain their vehicles better than everyone else, leading to better longevity. I know some people in the local Jeep and Land Rover clubs and they all LOVE their vehicles to the point of obsession. They baby them, even though they beat the shit out of them in the woods, on the beach and in salt water marshes!