When will the Saturn Aura hit the dealers?

Started by autom?vel, October 18, 2005, 09:09:16 PM

autom?vel

Fairly simple post for ya.  I just wanted to know around when we could expect more information on the Saturn Aura (first drives and stuff), and when it will start hitting the dealers' lots.  Kind of interested in how it turns out.  Thanks guys.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

ifcar

It's supposed to be an 07 model, so I'd expect to see it in production form at NAIAS in January, previews/reviews starting next spring, and production by next summer.

autom?vel

Alright, figured it was something like that.  Thanks ifcar.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

giant_mtb

Sweet looking car, though the badge on the grille ruins it.  :(  :ph34r:  

Raghavan

Sweet looking car, though the badge on the grille ruins it.  :(  :ph34r:
HOw?

SJ_GTI

I am already dissappointed in this car since finding out its standard V6 will be the 3.5L pushrod from the Chevy Malibu paired with the same 4-speed automatic.

:(  

ifcar

What difference does it make what the standard engine is as long as you can upgrade from it? Especially considering that most competitors' standard engines have less horsepower and fewer cylinders?

SJ_GTI

QuoteWhat difference does it make what the standard engine is as long as you can upgrade from it? Especially considering that most competitors' standard engines have less horsepower and fewer cylinders?
Because now it doesn't have any advantage over a Pontiac G6. Its purely redundant.

It had a chance to differentiate itself  by using 2 DOHC V6's and instead its getting typical GM engine/transmission.

Heck I think pairing the G6 2.4L I4 as the standard engin with a 6-speed auto and the 3.6L DOHC V6 as an option above that would have been smarter.

giant_mtb

Sweet looking car, though the badge on the grille ruins it.  :(  :ph34r:
HOw?
I've never seen a Saturn badge out on the road and said "whoah that car looks cool...I bet it's real nice!"...

ifcar

QuoteWhat difference does it make what the standard engine is as long as you can upgrade from it? Especially considering that most competitors' standard engines have less horsepower and fewer cylinders?
Because now it doesn't have any advantage over a Pontiac G6. Its purely redundant.

It had a chance to differentiate itself  by using 2 DOHC V6's and instead its getting typical GM engine/transmission.

Heck I think pairing the G6 2.4L I4 as the standard engin with a 6-speed auto and the 3.6L DOHC V6 as an option above that would have been smarter.
Since when was GM concerned about making one of its platform sharers discernably better than another in all forms? Redundancy wasn't a problem as long as the cars look different, and they do.

I'd expect the 3.5-liter Aura to sell very well to family-car buyers who like the look and/or don't want to haggle, those differences are sufficient to separate it from the G6. And those who want more can choose to go for the sportier G6 GTP 3.9 or the more refined Aura 3.6.

Seems fine to me.  

SaltyDog

Are they serious about those wheels?  They look straight off an Esclade.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

That's the concept version that they say is all but production.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteSince when was GM concerned about making one of its platform sharers discernably better than another in all forms? Redundancy wasn't a problem as long as the cars look different, and they do.

I'd expect the 3.5-liter Aura to sell very well to family-car buyers who like the look and/or don't want to haggle, those differences are sufficient to separate it from the G6. And those who want more can choose to go for the sportier G6 GTP 3.9 or the more refined Aura 3.6.

Seems fine to me.
Of course GM hasn't been interested in differentiating its products in the past...that is one of its biggest problems.

Choosing the 3.5l/4AT instead of giving it a 2.8L/5AT was a purely beancounter decision that brings no extra value to customers. There is no real difference between it and the G6, and if anything the G6 is better looking.

Apart from that there is a stigma associated with iron-block pushrod engines whether its deserved or not. Putting that engine in the Saturn is an insult to Saturn buyers who up to now were offerred the 3.0L DOHC V6 in the L300. Heck even that ancient engine would have been better than the 3.5L engine!

If they weren't going to make the 2.8L V6 standard they should have stuck with just the 2,4L ecotec and the 3.6L V6 as an option, but both cars should have gotten a least 5-speed transmission (which the 9-3 and Vectra have had for a while now). Giving it the 3.5L and 4AT just makes its link to Chevy too obvious.

SJ_GTI

QuoteThat's the concept version that they say is all but production.
Well, they say 90% production or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 18 inch wheels available, but its standard wheels will be 16 inches no doubt.

I hope the fender flares make it to production. Its one styling element that really makes it look sportier than most of the competition. Its risky but considering there participation in this segment has been ancilliary at best this is a good brand to take chances with.

dave998

QuoteIt's supposed to be an 07 model, so I'd expect to see it in production form at NAIAS in January, previews/reviews starting next spring, and production by next summer.
IFCAR i'd think now is best as any time, I feel that you're one of the most respectable people on the forums currently. Often its hard to find knowledgale people on the automotive industry and the dynamics of what it is. It's great to see someone such as yourself among a few select others who actually know what theyre talking about. Even though we disagree(if you can recall some of our past experiences) we still manage to agree on some things.  

MX793

QuoteSince when was GM concerned about making one of its platform sharers discernably better than another in all forms? Redundancy wasn't a problem as long as the cars look different, and they do.

Seems fine to me.
Of course GM hasn't been interested in differentiating its products in the past...that is one of its biggest problems.

Choosing the 3.5l/4AT instead of giving it a 2.8L/5AT was a purely beancounter decision that brings no extra value to customers. There is no real difference between it and the G6, and if anything the G6 is better looking.

Apart from that there is a stigma associated with iron-block pushrod engines whether its deserved or not. Putting that engine in the Saturn is an insult to Saturn buyers who up to now were offerred the 3.0L DOHC V6 in the L300. Heck even that ancient engine would have been better than the 3.5L engine!

If they weren't going to make the 2.8L V6 standard they should have stuck with just the 2,4L ecotec and the 3.6L V6 as an option, but both cars should have gotten a least 5-speed transmission (which the 9-3 and Vectra have had for a while now). Giving it the 3.5L and 4AT just makes its link to Chevy too obvious.
That's pretty much my thinking as well.  Saturn is GM's import fighting brand.  Their cars usually were further from your "typical" GM than other GM brands not just in styling but in mechanicals as well.  Putting the 3.5L pushrod and 4AT in the car is, IMO, a big mistake.  The press has consistantly (and IMO a bit unfairly) bashed every new GM vehicle to come out with this drivetrain because it just looks very "old tech" on paper.  Things will go no differently for this Saturn.  If you want to fight the import competition, you need to bring what they bring to the table.  In this case, that means a tranny with at least 5 forward ratios and an OHC motor.  While the pushrod/4AT combo actually works well for daily drivers, the stigma associated with that drivetrain will kill the appeal.  GM needs to realize the importance of image and public perception.  To be successful, you need to give the public what they want whether what they want is actually better than what you're selling or not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Seems fine to me.

They've done all right there in many circumstances. Look at the W-Bodies, all different exteriors and interiors. Look at the Malibu/G6. Look at the Cobalt/Ion.

I don't think they ought to be overly concerned about "links to Chevy". Buyers of the base model will probably be those looking for a stylish and/or no-haggle family sedan, and won't know or care that it's a Chevrolet engine instead of a base Cadillac engine. The 2.8-liter just isn't great, it has little if any power or refinement advantage over the 3.5-liter, and wouldn't get the same excellent gas mileage.

I still see the base Aura as a Camry/Accord/Sonata competitor, where it will have arguably more style, a lower price than the first two, and no-haggle pricing with friendly dealers. The 3.6-liter will go after the Passat and V6 Accord, maybe the Altima and Mazda6 as well to a lesser extent.