Turn Lane Merging

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 23, 2012, 08:57:24 PM

AutobahnSHO

So the 4-lane road with turnlane in the middle becomes very congested in mornings/evenings. A lot of people turning left from sidestreets dart over into the turn lane then sit there until they can merge into traffic. (their right.)

What about the people using the turnlane to actually turn left??? Now the tard trying to merge in is right in front of me, and will be going right through my intended travel.
-who has the right of way?
-who would be at fault in an accident?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

People do that all the time (especially with center turn lanes), but it is totally illegal, and they have no right of way.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

I thought it was legal if you scooted out and sat still, i.e. didn't use it as a lane to run up and roll along in.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TurboDan

Pretty sure it's illegal, although in some locations it's not enforced because drivers are practically forced to do it. My girlfriend's street ends at a road just like the one described (two lanes each direction with turning lane in the middle) and it's pretty much the only way to get out of her street.

I go the opposite way and avoid it at all costs. She doesn't seem to mind risking her life on a daily basis, I guess.  :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 23, 2012, 10:56:01 PM
I thought it was legal if you scooted out and sat still, i.e. didn't use it as a lane to run up and roll along in.

Pretty sure that is mostly illegal, though it may vary by state. If it's a left turn lane, it's for left turns. Perhaps you can legallt pull out into it, sit there, and then turn back to where you just were.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

I seriously hate that shit.  Wait until you can make the turn. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 23, 2012, 10:56:01 PM

It's a turn lane, not a merge lane.  When you see the signs advising of the use of the lane what do you see.  Arrows indicating you can make turns from the lane.  Never an arrow showing how you can use it to merge with the traffic flow.  

Secret Chimp

Eh well, I only ever do that like once or twice every month on big 6 lanes where the traffic flow makes it impossible for me to get all the way over in one go.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

bing_oh

It would probably fall under Improper Lane Usage or Failure to Comply with a Traffic Control Device (lane markings/signs being the traffic control device) in Ohio. It's definitely illegal, but happens frequently on busy roadways...especially roads with alot of in-and-out business traffic like fast food joints. Obviously, who would be at fault in a crash would depend of the circumstances of that particular crash. While the person merging from a turn only lane might be in violation and get a ticket, that doesn't mean he's necessarily at fault.

ifcar

Interesting, I had no idea that it was illegal to pull into the center turn lane, just that you can't use it as an acceleration lane.

280Z Turbo

So, if there's no break in the traffic, you need to turn right, turn left into a parking lot, and then turn right again? I've done that more than once.

AutobahnSHO

Some people are retarded. I'd rather go 3 blocks out of my way to turn around, or wait the extra minute or so to be legal and safe.. 
Will

280Z Turbo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 24, 2012, 06:45:17 PM
Some people are retarded. I'd rather go 3 blocks out of my way to turn around, or wait the extra minute or so to be legal and safe.. 

I'm retarded because I've done it.

Rich

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 24, 2012, 06:45:17 PM

if you didn't pull out to the center turn lane on Michigan Ave or Woodward Ave in Detroit, you could be waiting for a good 15 -30 minutes.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT