A Win for Free Speech!

Started by J86, May 24, 2012, 09:32:15 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Ha! About 20 yrs ago brother and I were flying along in his Corvette, when we saw a cop parked on the side of the road ahead of us. We slowed down in time, and after we passed him brother started flashing his lights at oncoming cars to warn them. One of the cars was a ghost car, and it did a 180 behind us and pulled us over. He asked bro why he was flashing his lights. Bro calmly said we saw a moose by the side of the road, and thought it prudent to warn other drivers. Cop paused for a moment and told us to drive carefully, then he left. We carried on for about a mile up the road, where we almost hit a fucking moose.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on May 24, 2012, 09:53:53 PM
Ha! About 20 yrs ago brother and I were flying along in his Corvette, when we saw a cop parked on the side of the road ahead of us. We slowed down in time, and after we passed him brother started flashing his lights at oncoming cars to warn them. One of the cars was a ghost car, and it did a 180 behind us and pulled us over. He asked bro why he was flashing his lights. Bro calmly said we saw a moose by the side of the road, and thought it prudent to warn other drivers. Cop paused for a moment and told us to drive carefully, then he left. We carried on for about a mile up the road, where we almost hit a fucking moose.

nice :wtf:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Doesn't every drive in Newfoundland involve almost hitting a moose?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: Rockraven on May 24, 2012, 09:53:53 PMHa! About 20 yrs ago brother and I were flying along in his Corvette, when we saw a cop parked on the side of the road ahead of us. We slowed down in time, and after we passed him brother started flashing his lights at oncoming cars to warn them. One of the cars was a ghost car, and it did a 180 behind us and pulled us over. He asked bro why he was flashing his lights. Bro calmly said we saw a moose by the side of the road, and thought it prudent to warn other drivers. Cop paused for a moment and told us to drive carefully, then he left. We carried on for about a mile up the road, where we almost hit a fucking moose.

Now THAT woulda been karma! :lol:

bing_oh

Quote from: J86 on May 24, 2012, 09:32:15 PMhttp://jalopnik.com/5912839/a-florida-judge-ruled-that-flashing-your-headlights-is-free-speech

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-22/news/os-flashing-headlights-ruling-20120522_1_ryan-kintner-free-speech-headlights

:rolleyes: Good luck with this on appeal. Claiming that flashing your headlights to warn of speed enforcement is Constitutionally protected free speech is a huge stretch. More like a local judge making an oddball ruling.

SVT666

:lol:

SVT666

I like the ruling.  If speed traps are really about slowing cars down for safety reasons, then me flashing my lights at people for the next couple miles achieves that goal.  I flash my lights all the time when there is a speed trap.

AutobahnSHO

I personally don't see why they have to tell you that speed is enforced by radar, then have the car clearly visible.  If you're speeding, you're speeding.

Let the friggin cops hide and sneak. If they bust you, you lost. Too bad.
Will

giant_mtb

I feel like half (well more than half) of the people on the roads don't know what someone flashing their lights means.  For god's sake, I can't remember how many times I've flashed my lights at someone near dark to signal that they should probably turn on their fucking headlights and they don't even notice/respond/turn them on.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 25, 2012, 02:21:07 PM
I feel like half (well more than half) of the people on the roads don't know what someone flashing their lights means.  For god's sake, I can't remember how many times I've flashed my lights at someone near dark to signal that they should probably turn on their fucking headlights and they don't even notice/respond/turn them on.

I do the same thing and get the same results.

Rupert

Yeah, I think of a whole host of other things before I think there's a speed trap ahead if someone flashes their lights at me.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on May 25, 2012, 06:33:36 AM
Now THAT woulda been karma! :lol:

One time I got pulled over for ~90 in a 55, got let off with a verbal warning and a "have fun," and then, driving the limit, put the car in a ditch five miles later.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

I've found completely turning my lights on and off is more effective for that.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on May 25, 2012, 04:43:42 PM
One time I got pulled over for ~90 in a 55, got let off with a verbal warning and a "have fun," and then, driving the limit, put the car in a ditch five miles later.

Karma, man.  That's worse than a ticket.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

I was taught about the flashing lights rule in Drivers Ed, believe it or not.  I do think a lot of people today don't know it, or they're driving with their heads so far up their asses (or in their smartphones) that they don't pay any attention to what's going on around them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on May 25, 2012, 06:36:59 AM
:rolleyes: Good luck with this on appeal. Claiming that flashing your headlights to warn of speed enforcement is Constitutionally protected free speech is a huge stretch. More like a local judge making an oddball ruling.

New Jersey Supreme Court ruled flashing of lights to warn of a radar trap was legal years ago. But don't know if it was on the basis of free speech.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on May 25, 2012, 07:58:46 PM
New Jersey Supreme Court ruled flashing of lights to warn of a radar trap was legal years ago. But don't know if it was on the basis of free speech.

I used to flash my lights when I saw a speed trap, but I usually don't bother anymore.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 25, 2012, 02:46:51 PM
I do the same thing and get the same results.

Yep, same here.  If someone flashes their lights at me, I immediately make sure mine are on, that my brights and fogs aren't on, then I try and be extra vigilant for the next mile or two.  I usually flash if there's a cop ahead, an accident, deers, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

L. ed foote

Quote from: dazzleman on May 25, 2012, 07:59:54 PM
I used to flash my lights when I saw a speed trap, but I usually don't bother anymore.

Same here. Troopers tend to hide in areas with giant medians, or post up in areas where traffic flows in one direction, so flashing high beams to warn of pending speed traps is often ineffective.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Rupert

Hahaha, some lady was flashing her lights at everyone she passed the other day. She was right behind the cop.

J86

Quote from: Rupert on June 02, 2012, 06:48:57 PM
Hahaha, some lady was flashing her lights at everyone she passed the other day. She was right behind the cop.

Hope to cop had an auto-dimming rearview mirror or that would get SERIOUSLY annoying :lol:

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 25, 2012, 09:32:37 AM
I like the ruling.  If speed traps are really about slowing cars down for safety reasons, then me flashing my lights at people for the next couple miles achieves that goal.  I flash my lights all the time when there is a speed trap.

It's not YOUR job to SLOW down MOTORISTS.  Leave it to the PROFESSIONAL law enforcement OFFICERS who are TRAINED in using ADVANCED EQUIPMENT to MONETARILY ADMONISH people for CRIMINAL driving behavior.  SPEED LIMITS are set arbitrarily and are THE LAW, even if they don't make sense and have little bearing on REALITY. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 29, 2012, 10:53:25 AM
Yep, same here.  If someone flashes their lights at me, I immediately make sure mine are on, that my brights and fogs aren't on, then I try and be extra vigilant for the next mile or two.  I usually flash if there's a cop ahead, an accident, deers, etc.

You wrote "deers".   :lol:

Flashing lights, I hit the brakes.  I check my high beams afterwards. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: bing_oh on May 25, 2012, 06:36:59 AM

Big Brother in the room :mask:

Rich

Quote from: MrH on May 29, 2012, 10:53:25 AM
Yep, same here.  If someone flashes their lights at me, I immediately make sure mine are on, that my brights and fogs aren't on, then I try and be extra vigilant for the next mile or two.  I usually flash if there's a cop ahead, an accident, deers, etc.

+1

And turn the radio off to try and hear if I'm dragging something under the car.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT