Volkswagen EcoRacer Concept

Started by GMPenguin, October 19, 2005, 04:47:08 PM

GMPenguin

At the Tokyo Motor Show (October 22nd ? November 6th 2005), Volkswagen presents an incredibly economic sports car. The EcoRacer?s average fuel consumption is as low as 3.4 liters and it reaches a maximum speed of 142 mph.

Thanks to its carbon fiber body, the middle engine sports car weighs a mere 1873 lbs and needs only 6.3 seconds to achieve 60 mph. This sports car is powered by a 134-horsepower turbo diesel of the next generation and stands for a trend setting synthesis of rock-solid economy and an abundance of sportiness.

The body design with its new sports car front configuration, LED head and rear lights-system, solid proportions and strong lines, demonstrates that even very economical cars can be a fascinating drive.

The rest of the crap: http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/volkswagen_ecoracer.asp

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

Raza

I'd buy it.  It has room for some more raw speed, but getting that in diesel is a huge turn on!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

This car is on C&D's home page...

Eco-friendly and sports car are terms that make unlikely allies, but VW?s nifty little two-seater concept suggests a thriftier fuel future doesn?t necessarily mean the end of fun-to-drive. A roadster with a removable hardtop, the Eco Racer?s carbon fiber body helps keep weight low ? under 1900 pounds, enhancing the 136-horsepower punch of its 1.5-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel engine. It adds up to 0-62 mph times of just 6.2 seconds, a top speed of over 142 mph, and fuel economy potential of almost 70 mph, according to VW.

*They probably mean MPG.  Bad editors!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

I'd take one!  Tune it up a bit...and you can make people double take (or triple) when you start revving your DIESEL engine at a stop light and peel out and rocket forward.  :D  

SaltyDog

I'd love to see this.  I might even buy one if the price is right.  Under 20k would be good.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Run Away

Raghavan

The side profile is perfect, but the front is bleh. And WTF is up with those hinged roof things?

Secret Chimp

I don't like how it looks at all, but if it drives good, so what.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SaltyDog

QuoteI don't like how it looks at all, but if it drives good, so what.
Oh man, I really took that the wrong way when I first read it :lol:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Raza

QuoteThe side profile is perfect, but the front is bleh. And WTF is up with those hinged roof things?
It's like a T top roof with a removable center pillar, so you can have it as a coupe, a targa, or a T top, depending on how the mood suits you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

It looks more like an Opel than a Volkswagen, but in any case, I think it's beautiful.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

That's cool, but a bit redundant.
T-tops AND targa? There's barely a difference.

Raghavan

QuoteThe side profile is perfect, but the front is bleh. And WTF is up with those hinged roof things?
It's like a T top roof with a removable center pillar, so you can have it as a coupe, a targa, or a T top, depending on how the mood suits you.
But why's it hinged?

Raza

But why's it hinged?
Probably to make it easier to remove.  Hinges might be easier to manage than the latch system like a Corvette.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteThat's cool, but a bit redundant.
Maybe redundant, but it might give it a broader appeal.  Plus, with a multipiece roof, they can be lighter pieces that are easier to remove than a single, large pane.  T tops never really interested me that much, but I know people who love them, and I absolutely adore targas.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Maybe redundant, but it might give it a broader appeal.  Plus, with a multipiece roof, they can be lighter pieces that are easier to remove than a single, large pane.  T tops never really interested me that much, but I know people who love them, and I absolutely adore targas.
They're pretty much the same.

Raza

They do look different, and change the cabin airflow.  So they're similar, not the same.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

They do look different, and change the cabin airflow.  So they're similar, not the same.
eh, what ever.

Raza

You keep missing the details.  It's like saying that a sunroof is the same as a convertible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteYou keep missing the details.  It's like saying that a sunroof is the same as a convertible.
No, there's a little bar on t tops that the targa doesn't have. big deal.

Raza

I can't stress how much that changes the character of airflow in a car when you're driving at speeds.  I'd imagine it also increases wind buffeting.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteI can't stress how much that changes the character of airflow in a car when you're driving at speeds.  I'd imagine it also increases wind buffeting.
Oh noes!!11!!!!1! :rolleyes:  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote:rolleyes:
You're getting all worked up over a small metal bar.

JYODER240

I bet you could extact an extreme amount of power from that diesel engine, I know that the deisels the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks use, you can get  another 100-200 hp and 100-200 lb-ft of torque just by reprogramming the computer and adding a new intake and exhaust.  My dads friend has a chevy 2500 HD and he did that to it, he gained  like 120hp and 190lb-ft of torque, kills his gas-mileafge though.  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SaltyDog

I bet you could extact an extreme amount of power from that diesel engine, I know that the deisels the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks use, you can get  another 100-200 hp and 100-200 lb-ft of torque just by reprogramming the computer and adding a new intake and exhaust.  My dads friend has a chevy 2500 HD and he did that to it, he gained  like 120hp and 190lb-ft of torque, kills his gas-mileafge though.
I sure hope he's not running gas in his diesel engine.  That would kill more than mileage ;)  :D  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

JYODER240

I sure hope he's not running gas in his diesel engine.  That would kill more than mileage ;)  :D
I meant MPG   :rolleyes:  :lol:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*