Fleet Sales as a Percentage of Total Sales: 2012 ( 4 Months) vs. 2011 (Full yr.)

Started by Atomic, May 31, 2012, 02:57:05 PM

Atomic

Fleet Sales as a Percentage of Total Sales: 2012 ( 4 Months) vs. 2011 (full year)

Chevrolet: 30% 2011/31% 2012
Dodge: 35%/26%
Ford: 30%/29%
Hyundai: 11%/9%
Kia: 11%/8%
Mazda: 19%/31%
Nissan 18%/23%
Toyota: 10%/15%
Volkswagen: 9%/17%

Source: TrueCar.com

Note (1): Additional research, Honda = <2% 2011 (full year) and <1.5% 2012 (4 months)

Source: Wards

Note (2): Direct quote...

"Most years it's a fifth of U.S. light vehicles sales, according to Edmunds.com, TrueCar.com and the Automotive News Data Center. Edmunds.com put 2011 fleet sales at 2.5 million units." Jesse Snyder, Automotive News, May 28, 2012

Atomic

Not too surprised. I think Ford's fleet sales will continue to go down as the Ford Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car fleet sales reserves shrink further. When Police Interceptor (2013 Taurus and Explorer-based)vehicle production begins to crank up, I bet the numbers will jump, but the absence of the TC for the black car and limosine market could show lower year-wide decreases as other brands begin to take over. I cannot see the Lincoln MKT reaching the same levels as the less-costly-to-built Town Car sedans. We shall see...

Atomic

An article I read today mentions Nissan's quest to overtake the Toyota Camry as best selling car sold in the United States and that it intends on doing so by drastically increasing fleet sales of its new 2013 sedan. Not so certain it is worth the crown, but making money is the bottom line.

Residual value is always on my mind as an informed consumer but not so certain it is an issue for the largely retail sales focus of the Camry. Ford on the other hand is #1 overall with its reliance on large fleet numbers in the highly competitive pickup truck market.