Many of us seem to be getting new cars this year. What are your plans?

Started by Atomic, June 03, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

When will you purchase, lease, acquire your next vehicle?

This summer
Within the next few months
Next year
Already did or about to within days or weeks
Hanging on to what I currently drive for a long while
Not sure
Never
Through an estate, time unknown
When gifted
There is nothing out there that I like so wanting for the right vehicle
Other (Specify)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: Northlands on June 04, 2012, 11:24:49 AM

Possibly one of these in the next few months. New. We're in the process of replacing two 11 year old cars. The first being the Accent.

So far the Elantra Touring fits the bill for looking for a bit more room, have four doors and some storage space in the trunk area, and still have relatively decent fuel consumption.

In a year or so we'll be replacing the Civic. I have no idea with what. Another four door ...er..something.

My father just traded his '06 Civic on an Elantra Touring last week, on my recommendation. Great car.

Payman

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Atomic on June 03, 2012, 08:22:02 PM
Thanks, buddy. I appreciate that. My dad, just prior to death had money transferred in an account reserved for the safest Volvo/other car of my choosing. Not a spoiled son, as I worked hard and earned what I am paying for the XC60 T6 but as he would do if still with us, I am helping my sweet niece and awesome nephew (incredible grandkids) get through college by paying part of their tuition.

I am gifting my dad's Accord EX to my niece when I take delivery of my new wheels. In time, my nephew (younger) will get the Civic EX I bought my mom post-MVA. I took over the Accord when my dad died in October 2011. With my mother's newfound dementia, we see to it that anyone but her does the driving.

My substantial injuries made his last year with us signicantly more stressful and painful as any great father would.

Your thinking makes excellent sense by not having high car payment or any in favor of doing some very exciting things. I, too, love to travel and hope to do more when things settle a bit here. I will definitely post car pics, as inexperienced as I am. I will review clear directions Greg (Catman) kindly laid out for me. With the head injury, I must relearn many things. So frustrating, but feel blessed doing better each day.

Tom, from what it sounds like you have planned this out pretty well, more so considering your injury.  Sounds like your dad would be proud.  When do you get the Volvo?

As for me, you guys have seen my other thread.  Considering trading for something newer, due to boredom and possibly looming bills, but we'll see.  If I do change I am now window-shopping the Seat Leons:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201207450547047/
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211457259063/

We'll see

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: SVT666 on June 03, 2012, 08:30:46 PM
We will be buying in the next few months.  As early as 2 weeks from now or as late as October.  We have driven a 2008 BMW 328i, 2012 Kia Optima, 2012 Nissan Altima, 2008 Cadillac CTS, and a 2011 Mustang GT convertible.  I have driven a 2009 Infiniti G37x , but my wife still needs to.  I am fairly certain that she won't even want to wait to see the 2013 Ford Fusion after she drives the Infiniti.  It's most likely what we will be getting. 

Had a trip in a 3-Series M Sport the other day.  I was expecting a nicer interior given how much they go for.  Didn't feel any better than a "lower" brand.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on June 05, 2012, 08:16:55 PM
Oh, we're talking a 5-10+ year old S60 or a 2004-2006 XC90 2.5T.  Nothing new.  I can't afford a new car any time soon.

Vintage Volvo's are awesome. Proven, durable... Hope my new one is as good  :lol:

CJ

Quote from: Atomic on June 06, 2012, 06:27:00 AM
Vintage Volvo's are awesome. Proven, durable... Hope my new one is as good  :lol:

Not quite sure I'd call those vintage just yet. :lol: My 940 is getting there, as the odometer creeps closer to 200,000 every day.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 06, 2012, 04:22:30 AM
Had a trip in a 3-Series M Sport the other day.  I was expecting a nicer interior given how much they go for.  Didn't feel any better than a "lower" brand.
I have now driven three different 3 series in the last 6 weeks.  All three were 2008s.  They are amazing drives.  I loved driving them and I totally understand why they win all the comparisons due to driving dynamics alone.  I was even more amazed at how tight and how "brand new" the cars still felt.  They are rock solid and feel like they were milled out of a solid block of steel.  I am very impressed with how well they hold up over time.  What I'm not impressed with, is that for the same money, I can get a bigger G37 with 130 more horsepower, NAV, heated leather seats, and every other option you can think of.  The 328i comes with leatherette, a basic stereo, no NAV, and what is basically a pretty spartan interior.  The one thing that really bothered me was the throttle tip-in on the BMW.  You have to press the gas pedal in quite far before there is any power whatsoever.  The G37 handles just as well, almost feels as solid, uses nicer materials, more options, bigger trunk and back seat, and has better programming in the automatic transmission.  The BMW tranny has amazing response times to manual input whereas the G37 takes forever to respond, but it doesn't hold gears when driving aggressively like the G37 does.

The BMW gets the nod for driving dynamics, refinement, and that solid feel.  But the G37 nearly matches it in two categories (misses the mark in refinement) and then trumps it in content and space.

Northlands

Quote from: Rockraven on June 05, 2012, 09:53:49 PM
My father just traded his '06 Civic on an Elantra Touring last week, on my recommendation. Great car.

I was surprised how well this thing handled itself in some turns. I just need something to haul the baby and her stroller + junk around in, and I enjoyed driving it much more than my other cars. Ain't bad for a spacious commuter-mobile. If I didn't have so many miles to cover, I'd just get this for my wife to drive around in and find a used Dodge Magnum for myself ( partly for work ), but I don't want to be filling up every 4 days.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

r0tor

I wouldn't mind upgrading from the RX8 as its getting old... But nobody makes a decent 4 real seat sports coupe that's affordable.

Probably will keep the Jeep until the wheels fall off.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on June 06, 2012, 08:16:16 PM
I wouldn't mind upgrading from the RX8 as its getting old... But nobody makes a decent 4 real seat sports coupe that's affordable.

Probably will keep the Jeep until the wheels fall off.

BRIZ, FRIS?

SVT666

TurboDan

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 03, 2012, 07:28:59 PM
I'd like to avoid a car payment for as long as possible. I'd rather spend $300+ a month something other than a payment for the time being. Maybe travel, or other memory-making experiences.

I'm a masochist. As soon as the LR2 is paid off, I'm going for a two seater. Will then have an SUV to beat up on the beach and in the woods, and a roadster for fun! ETA = 2 years from now, summer of '14.  :lol:

Can't wait to see pics of your Volvo though, tom!

Same here!!!  :ohyeah:

Atomic

Quote from: TurboDan on June 07, 2012, 12:37:09 AM
I'm a masochist. As soon as the LR2 is paid off, I'm going for a two seater. Will then have an SUV to beat up on the beach and in the woods, and a roadster for fun! ETA = 2 years from now, summer of '14.  :lol:

Same here!!!  :ohyeah:

That would be fun!

I wish I could join the club and have two vehicles, but unless I take over my mother's 2010 Civic EX sedan (dementia prevents her from driving) it will be the XC60 for life... Figuratively and maybe literally* :huh: ! Having the Civic in her garage gives her great comfort and a feeling of security with no temptation to drive. Thankfully! We chauffeur her around in her car... Works out great...

*Volvo's tag line: "Volvo for Life"

Morris Minor

I want to replace my 10-year-old Pilot. I like the carrying capacity, an essential-if-rarely-used trait, but I don't like the bulk.  I want something smaller and more fun to drive, but it must be able to handle bags of mulch and golf clubs when needed.

So I'm wondering if I should be looking at a station wagon, rare as hens teeth in the USA, but something like an Audi A4 Avant might do the trick.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SVT666

Very pricey.  We are going to drive a pair of G37 sedans tomorrow.  Different colours, years, mileage, etc.

GoCougs

Well, less than three month's of ownership for the G37 and I'm finding myself perusing Autotrader.com. The car's fine, but meh, I got bored quick. Performance is good but more is better. Thing is there's nothing I would/could replace it with and I'm not into having more than one car...

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2012, 12:42:48 PM
Well, less than three month's of ownership for the G37 and I'm finding myself perusing Autotrader.com. The car's fine, but meh, I got bored quick. Performance is good but more is better. Thing is there's nothing I would/could replace it with and I'm not into having more than one car...

What would you even consider purchasing?  An A4? 

SVT666

Wow, that was quick.  Why the change of heart?  It's got way more performance than the Accord, so why are you so bored with it already?

Rich

and I'm not into having more than one car...

Why not?  IMO it's the way to roll.  Loved it.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on June 08, 2012, 12:47:14 PM
Wow, that was quick.  Why the change of heart?  It's got way more performance than the Accord, so why are you so bored with it already?

Actually, Camcords are some of the best performing cars on the planet. The G37 simply cannot fill such large shoes.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Get one of these. They are quite superb.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Atomic

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 08, 2012, 07:35:04 AM
I want to replace my 10-year-old Pilot. I like the carrying capacity, an essential-if-rarely-used trait, but I don't like the bulk.  I want something smaller and more fun to drive, but it must be able to handle bags of mulch and golf clubs when needed.

So I'm wondering if I should be looking at a station wagon, rare as hens teeth in the USA, but something like an Audi A4 Avant might do the trick.

The 2013 Audi Allroad is out and very handsome. Did not price on yet. Even though I already a new vehicle, it's cool building them to your specifications on each company's website. Will see if Audi's site has been updated. Both Audi and Volvo have slow in doing so, as 2013 are being produced... Or will be shortly.

GoCougs

The car's fine, just bored. There's really no replacement I can think of save for the non-existent G37x w/MT and ~50 more hp.

MrH

Just sell it and get an S4 that you've always wanted. I know you got the cash.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CJ

Quote from: MrH on June 08, 2012, 04:04:21 PM

That. Do it. They have a warranty for a reason, and I think you'd have a enjoy it considerably more than an Infiniti.

shp4man

I plan on keeping the Dodge pickup for a while as it's only got 65,000 miles on it. I'm kind of missing having a vintage car around, though. If I could find a less popular model for cheaper that would be great. You know, like a '56 Crown Victoria would be upwards of 20,000 bucks. But as an example, a really clean '56 ford two door or four door sedan with a six and a three speed would be just as nice- to me.

'56 Vic:

'56 Ford Tudor:

The green car could be had for under $5000 on a good day.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 08, 2012, 04:04:21 PM

Quote from: CJ on June 08, 2012, 04:12:02 PM
That. Do it. They have a warranty for a reason, and I think you'd have a enjoy it considerably more than an Infiniti.

If the S4 were Japanese it'd probably be sitting in my driveway. I wanted to trust it but ultimately couldn't. The S4 warranty is only 48 mos./50k - how I'd drive that'd be up in less than 3 years, and if I bought it slightly used (which I'd probably do) it'd be less than 2 years. I plan on cycling through cars faster from here on out but not every ~2 years though...

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on June 08, 2012, 09:27:03 PM
If the S4 were Japanese it'd probably be sitting in my driveway. I wanted to trust it but ultimately couldn't. The S4 warranty is only 48 mos./50k - how I'd drive that'd be up in less than 3 years, and if I bought it slightly used (which I'd probably do) it'd be less than 2 years. I plan on cycling through cars faster from here on out but not every ~2 years though...

If you really want it that badly, what's the big deal if some part breaks at some point? So you spend a few hundred on a repair every so often - is it not worth it for years of driving a car you really want to drive? The S4 is not a particularly unreliable car anyway, I don't think.