FWD BMW 1 Series expected at Paris Motor Show

Started by cawimmer430, June 10, 2012, 03:40:33 AM

cawimmer430

FWD BMW 1 Series expected at Paris Motor Show

So here it is: Autocar reports that we'll see the first front-drive BMW at the Paris Motor Show this September, in concept form. It will likely be called the 1 Series GT, and the report says it will debut in late 2014. The car will share a platform with the forthcoming Mini redesign, as well as the turbo 1.5-liter three-cylinder Mini engine that's basically half of a BMW 3.0-liter inline six.

Boo. Wasn't there something in the 1990 German Reunification treaty about BMW never making front-drive cars? Well there should have been.

Of course, we've known that BMW has planned to throw away what last bit of brand purity it still retains since early 2010, when its chairman announced as much. And we know the reasoning: The front-drive, entry-level Bimmers are for the customers too dumb to know any better. But that doesn't mean we have to like it, even if BMW says it will still build the larger, rear-wheel-drive cars that have made the brand so special for decades.

We will thus cling to the hope that this concept is just an elaborate marketing trick to drive sales of the current 1 Series.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/09/fwd-bmw-1-series-expected-at-paris-motor-show/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

I know that FWD is frowned upon by BMW loyalists, but these models will sell and likely be conquest sales at that. They would never do this to the 3 series and up. Great new grill but no mistaking it for anything other than a Bimmer.

Nice links, BTW, Wimmer!

MX793

Purely from a packaging standpoint, FWD makes sense in a car the size of a 1 series, particularly if you intend it to have a usable rear seat.  The current 1er's rear seat is a joke compared to other, similarly sized C-segment cars.  A small back seat is forgivable in a coupe/2+2, but if your car has rear doors, the rear seat space should be large enough to actually seat adults.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on June 10, 2012, 04:46:53 AM
Purely from a packaging standpoint, FWD makes sense in a car the size of a 1 series, particularly if you intend it to have a usable rear seat.  The current 1er's rear seat is a joke compared to other, similarly sized C-segment cars.  A small back seat is forgivable in a coupe/2+2, but if your car has rear doors, the rear seat space should be large enough to actually seat adults.

Exactly what I was thinking. There is a market for such a car.

Galaxy

Quote from: Atomic on June 10, 2012, 06:54:17 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. There is a market for such a car.

Well yes, the question is if BMW should enter it? Should Ferrari?

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on June 10, 2012, 07:16:10 AM
Well yes, the question is if BMW should enter it? Should Ferrari?

Comparing BMW to Ferrari in this context doesn't make sense.  It's not like BMW builds only exotic RWD supercars.

S204STi

I'm really interested in this new I3 turbo.  I'd hit a MINI if it were powered by one (and assuming it works well).  Put a sports exhaust on that and it might even sound like a four-wheeled Triumph.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: S204STi on June 10, 2012, 08:21:28 AM
I'm really interested in this new I3 turbo.  I'd hit a MINI if it were powered by one (and assuming it works well).  Put a sports exhaust on that and it might even sound like a four-wheeled Triumph.
High hopes friend. Two big elements of the Triumph sound are revs and unblocked exhausts- two things a turbo BMW motor won't have. Maybe they will include an engine note sound generator

Will prob be incredibly economic + low end torquey though, which will be a big plus for an econo car. But I bet it wont rev much higher than 6-7 and will sound like a washing machine

S204STi

Yeah, prob. One can only hope... BMW, after all, started out as an engine builder.  And some of their current offerings are splendidly designed.

Galaxy

Quote from: S204STi on June 10, 2012, 08:20:18 AM
Comparing BMW to Ferrari in this context doesn't make sense.  It's not like BMW builds only exotic RWD supercars.

But so far every BMW had RWD as standard, with AWD being an option sometimes. The 1er will break with this. No matter how you you put that is a significant break.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on June 10, 2012, 09:45:53 AM
But so far every BMW had RWD as standard, with AWD being an option sometimes. The 1er will break with this. No matter how you you put that is a significant break.

About as major as Subaru building a RWD coupe.  The world continues to spin on its axis.

sportyaccordy

Heritage be damned, all BMW cares about is the $$$. X5M is proof

2o6

Everytime I see the 1-series in profile, I am reminded of how useless and inefficent (packaging wise) the proportions are.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 10, 2012, 10:27:10 AM
Heritage be damned, all BMW cares about is the $$$. X5M is proof

BMW's heritage is building warplane engines for the Luftwaffe.  They've really blown it by moving into automobiles.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 11:20:38 AM
Everytime I see the 1-series in profile, I am reminded of how useless and inefficent (packaging wise) the proportions are.

I've checked out the new model in detail. Everyone always talks about how "much more space" it has gained over the predecessor, but I feel that it hasn't gained any cabin space. In fact it feels more cramped to me. The transmission tunnel upfront is wider and the cockpit design takes away precious interior space. Rear and trunk space feel the same as the E87.

Here's mine in comparison.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: S204STi on June 10, 2012, 11:26:07 AM
BMW's heritage is building warplane engines for the Luftwaffe.  They've really blown it by moving into automobiles.

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

By contrast, here's a bloopy Yaris with proportions that use it's space much better than the 1-series.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Yaris could actually be a good car if they did four things:

- Make a dedicated performance version (i.e. RS)
- tune the RS suspension more aggressively (harsher bushings + springs/shocks)
- bring back the 2ZZ!
- Make the wheel wells larger on all models (just put bigger tires on the stock wheels... better ride quality)

2o6

I don't agree with anything you said

Arguably, Yaris has the best in class ride, handling is OK.

There already is an RS model (1.5 turbo or 1.8TS)

Bigger wheels makes the car more expensive to maintain; looks fine as is

2ZZ i don't think will fit

CJ

Do we get the RS model?  No?  Irrelevant information. 

Speed_Racer

What about that study where most BMW owners which wheels were being driven in their cars? I don't think rwd vs fwd matters, a lot of people just want the status that comes with owning a Bimmer.

S204STi

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 10, 2012, 11:54:09 AM
I've checked out the new model in detail. Everyone always talks about how "much more space" it has gained over the predecessor, but I feel that it hasn't gained any cabin space. In fact it feels more cramped to me. The transmission tunnel upfront is wider and the cockpit design takes away precious interior space. Rear and trunk space feel the same as the E87.

Here's mine in comparison.

Move the engine forward to about the front edge of the wheel wells...

Cookie Monster

Quote from: S204STi on June 10, 2012, 07:17:31 PM
Move the engine forward to about the front edge of the wheel wells...
Obviously you've never been in a 1er with the engine sticking into the dashboard. :rolleyes:

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: thecarnut on June 10, 2012, 07:54:28 PM
Obviously you've never been in a 1er with the engine sticking into the dashboard. :rolleyes:

ITS LIKE A MOTORHOME!

TurboDan

I like the 1er, even though I believe it's overpriced in its current form, at least the trims we get in the U.S. market.

There's no reason why a car like this must be RWD. Being FWD will make it a more usable car, and a better small daily driver since it will handle better in the snow and such, for people who live in cold areas. BMW is making it FWD because it's more suited to FWD. I don't see this as "selling out," I see it as BMW not being locked into one type of platform and building the best car they can. And good on them for doing so.

And comparisons with Ferrari? BMW mass-produces passenger cars, 95% of which are probably used as daily drivers. They're not a niche automaker whatsoever.

Rich

It's nice to have a small RWD car.  The 3 is the size of the old 5 series.  Some people want small and RWD.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 10, 2012, 11:26:16 PM
It's nice to have a small RWD car.  The 3 is the size of the old 5 series.  Some people want small and RWD.

Like two people.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 11:28:53 PM
Like two people.

I like small and RWD.  But if I'm buying a 5-door hatch, I also want a usable back seat and cargo area, which the 1-er lacks.  If they ditched the I6 and made their longest motor the turbo I4, they could move the firewall and front seats forward and get more cabin space while retaining the RWD layout.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 04:02:46 PM

Arguably, Yaris has the best in class ride, handling is OK.

The Yaris I've rented drove like crap. The car is way too tall and felt unstable at speeds 70 MPH and above. Changing lane manouvers were scary and unprecise too.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD