FWD BMW 1 Series expected at Paris Motor Show

Started by cawimmer430, June 10, 2012, 03:40:33 AM

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 18, 2012, 12:27:39 PM
Who buys something like a 128i coupe because it's practical?

What's so impractical about it? As a single guy, a nice small car like a 1er that can zip in and out of traffic and easily make it into tight parking spaces sounds perfect for me.

Some people just don't like large cars. I'm one of them. When I drove a Charger for a week as a rental, I thought it was a very cool car, but knew I could never drive one as a DD in a million years because it was just too damn big. The size of muscle cars has been the reason why I've avoided them over the years as well. Again, cool cars, but it'd be annoying to me to drive one every day. I drive the SUV really because I'm a boat owner and need something to be able to haul it in an emergency. Truthfully I'd rather have a small car.

sportyaccordy

Right but for the $$$ there are way more practical choices. Hell there are more practical coupes.

128i gets unremarkable gas mileage, has damn near no back seat, tiny trunk, big expensive tires etc. Its def no S2000 but its hardly an Accord Coupe either.

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2012, 11:12:39 AM
Right but for the $$$ there are way more practical choices. Hell there are more practical coupes.

I agree that it's overpriced, especially for the demographics most likely to buy a car like this. I'd take one over an A3. Besides that, what does it really compete with?

What do you mean by practical? Do you mean the practicality of the car itself or being practical in a monetary sense if brand/luxury isn't an issue? If you don't care about badge, H&H or luxury, you wouldn't be looking at this car to begin with.

2o6

Colonel Cadillac

2o6

Listen to what I'm saying. Take away the sporting character, you have a seriously compromised hatchback that would be better off being FWD (if it would end up with a more usable interior; FWD models should do this, but it's not an end-all). What's the purpose of a 1-series versus a Lexus CT? The Lexus has more room, and far better fuel economy.

I may sound like I'm being cynical, but oh well.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2012, 09:52:38 PM
Listen to what I'm saying. Take away the sporting character, you have a seriously compromised hatchback that would be better off being FWD (if it would end up with a more usable interior; FWD models should do this, but it's not an end-all). What's the purpose of a 1-series versus a Lexus CT? The Lexus has more room, and far better fuel economy.

From my experiences with the 1-Series, it's generally a spacious car for what it is. I can haul around a lot of stuff because the trunk is big for what it is and because I can fold down the rear seats and create more space. As someone who generally drives by himself and rarely transports more than two people, this is a "practical car" overall. It's also practical because it's relatively compact and that means an easier time finding rare parking spaces in crowded European cities.

Where the 1-Series becomes impractical is when you have tall drivers upfront like me who need to slide the seat all the way back. When that's the case there is zero leg space in the rear. So when I am driving with friends, this is a problem. Someone with small and thin legs can sit behind me but I'll need to slide the seat forward a bit which in turn means an uncomfortable driving position for me. It's endurable for short distance driving but on long-distance journeys it's a pain.

In terms of rear leg space, I think the CT200h has clearly got the 1-Series beat. But I don't think the Lexus CT200h is comparable to the BMW 1-Series in the US since the 5-Door Hatchback isn't on sale there. The comparison is much more valid in Europe.

The Lexus badge doesn't mean much here so you won't have many people walking into a Lexus dealership showing interest in a CT200h to begin with. And another major drawback for the Lexus CT200h is that it comes in only one boring flavor: a gasoline-hybrid.

There are tons of efficient BMW 1-Series models to choose from, namely the diesels, which are just as if not more efficient than the CT200h and also faster and in a subjective way, more fun to drive.

The E87 BMW 1-Series was available as:

116i / 115-hp (N45B16)
116i / 122-hp (N43B20)
118i / 129-hp (N46B20)
118i / 143-hp (N43B20)
120i / 150-hp (N46B20)
120i / 170-hp (N43B20)
125i / 218-hp (N52B30)
130i / 258-hp (N52B30)
130i / 265-hp (N52B30)
135i / 306-hp (N54B30)
135i / 306-hp (N55B30)
1M / 340-hp (N54B30)

116d / 116-hp (N47D20)
118d / 122-hp (M47TU2 D20)
118d / 143-hp (N47D20)
120d / 163-hp (M47TU2 D20)
120d / 177-hp (N47D20)
123d / 204-hp (N47D20)

The F20 BMW 1-Series comes with these flavors:

114i / 102-hp (N13B16)
116i / 136-hp (N13B16)
118i / 170-hp (N13B16)
125i / 218-hp (N20B20)
M125i / 320-hp (N55B30)

116d / 116-hp (N47D20)
116d Efficient Dynamics / 116-hp (N47D20)
118d / 143-hp (N47D20)
120d / 184-hp (N47D20)
125d / 218-hp (N47D20)

The CT200h has gotten lukewarm reviews here. It's not a particularly sporty drive (didn't Lexus claim this thing would murder a 1-Series in driving dynamics?), doesn't handle particularly well and its gasoline engine is noisy. And even though the vast majority of 1-Series customers could care less about RWD, there are a few thousand buyers that got a 1-Series because it is RWD and can promise some dynamic fun.

So in short. The 1-Series is overall a practical car - provided you don't have to transport rear passengers!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on June 19, 2012, 09:14:02 AM
What's so impractical about it? As a single guy, a nice small car like a 1er that can zip in and out of traffic and easily make it into tight parking spaces sounds perfect for me.

Some people just don't like large cars. I'm one of them. When I drove a Charger for a week as a rental, I thought it was a very cool car, but knew I could never drive one as a DD in a million years because it was just too damn big. The size of muscle cars has been the reason why I've avoided them over the years as well. Again, cool cars, but it'd be annoying to me to drive one every day. I drive the SUV really because I'm a boat owner and need something to be able to haul it in an emergency. Truthfully I'd rather have a small car.
Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2012, 11:12:39 AM

128i gets unremarkable gas mileage, has damn near no back seat, tiny trunk, big expensive tires etc. Its def no S2000 but its hardly an Accord Coupe either.

Bear in mind that the 1-series is sold in more than a coupe bodystyle.  Globally, the 5-door hatch is the more common variant and even that isn't particularly roomy compared to others in that size class.

As I've said any number of times, a small back seat is acceptable on a coupe.  If you've got rear doors, the car should be able to accommodate adults in the back in reasonable comfort without requiring an average height driver to shove the seat all the way forward.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM
Why buy one over a Lexus CT?

The Lexus CT200 H is a lovely car but it's a lot more expensive than the 1 Series.

cawimmer430

BMW is apparently planning more FWD cars. Possibly the 2015 X1 will dump the standard RWD layout and go with FWD instead.

Also, it seems that BMW is planning a 1-Series sedan to counter the Mercedes CLA and Audi A3 Sedan.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TurboDan on June 19, 2012, 09:14:02 AM

I was thinking about this. If you want something cheap, fast, and RWD, you can get the Z, Camaro, Rustang. Something small + RWD? Miata + BRFS are cheaper (though admittedly slower). Something zippy in the city? BMW's own MINI Cooper S or an Abarfh. I personally like the 1er, but its about $5-10K too expensive new. Even used, its up against some tough competition.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 21, 2012, 05:39:43 AM
I was thinking about this. If you want something cheap, fast, and RWD, you can get the Z, Camaro, Rustang. Something small + RWD? Miata + BRFS are cheaper (though admittedly slower). Something zippy in the city? BMW's own MINI Cooper S or an Abarfh. I personally like the 1er, but its about $5-10K too expensive new. Even used, its up against some tough competition.

Used BMW 1-Series can be had for little money here. In fact there's a booming youth market for them as enthusiastic teenagers who want a RWD car are literally gobbing them up like crazy.

And they're more practical and spacious than a Miata, which is a sardine can in comparison.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 21, 2012, 05:39:43 AM

You literally mentioned every scenario in a way that excludes the 1 series.  What if you want small, zippy, RWD, quick, and upscale?  Sure, the 1 series is overpriced, but people seem to be buying them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

The only 1 series that anyone should buy is the 1M  :wub:

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on June 21, 2012, 09:41:18 AM
The only 1 series that anyone should buy is the 1M  :wub:

I'd prefer a 128i.  Or maybe a 135i convertible.  I prefer power I can use.  A 128i is the modern day E36 M3.  And you know how I feel about those. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

LOL at the "so remove why people buy or like the 1-series, why would someone buy it?" scenarios.

Seriously :wtf:

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27585.msg1737193#msg1737193 date=1340293744
I'd prefer a 128i.  Or maybe a 135i convertible.  I prefer power I can use.  A 128i is the modern day E36 M3.  And you know how I feel about those. 

I'm not a fan of the lesser 1's, I just feel like they don't make a compelling enough reason to get them instead of an equivalent 3.

To me, the 1M is about the only one that really justifies itself.

MexicoCityM3

A 128i with manual is a very good drive indeed.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2012, 09:38:47 AM
You literally mentioned every scenario in a way that excludes the 1 series.  What if you want small, zippy, RWD, quick, and upscale?  Sure, the 1 series is overpriced, but people seem to be buying them.
Never said it was a bad car. Just too expensive. $25K 128i would be a fucking smash.

2o6

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 21, 2012, 09:57:34 AM
LOL at the "so remove why people buy or like the 1-series, why would someone buy it?" scenarios.

Seriously :wtf:

I don't really think that's why anyone buys the 1-series.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on June 21, 2012, 09:41:18 AM
The only 1 series that anyone should buy is the 1M  :wub:

That's the "least practical" 1-Series. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

I do think they're outrageously overpriced in the U.S. market. Don't know how they MSRP globally.

sportyaccordy

I think they're priced about right. Limited edition, cheaper than the M3. I think the bottom of the 1 series range is where they're overpriced.

cawimmer430

A new 1-Series isn't that expensive. Buyers choose the features they want and that keeps the price in check.

Used 1-Series can be had pretty cheap. I searched for used 118i's on www.autoscout24.de.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

Wow.  That really is inexpensive.  A 1-Series here is really 3-Series money. 

TurboDan

Quote from: CJ on June 23, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Yeah. The prices are messed up on this side of the pond. There is no reason a 1er should cost as much as it does, and the sales reflect that. A lot of people see the price and shy away from even considering the vehicle.

MX793

Quote from: CJ on June 23, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Our 1-series also comes with far more equipment as standard than the basic 1-series in Europe.  Starting with the 6-cylinder engine instead of the smaller 4-banger.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 23, 2012, 03:29:16 PM
A new 1-Series isn't that expensive. Buyers choose the features they want and that keeps the price in check.

Used 1-Series can be had pretty cheap. I searched for used 118i's on www.autoscout24.de.

Wimmer, you do realize the 1 series is priced/equipped differently in the US than Germany?

You do realize we don't get the little hatches or 4 banger engines, right?

r0tor

In 5 years from now, BMW will be todays Honda - a brand that mainstreamed itself into a hole nobody cares to look at.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed