FWD BMW 1 Series expected at Paris Motor Show

Started by cawimmer430, June 10, 2012, 03:40:33 AM

TurboDan

Quote from: r0tor on June 24, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
In 5 years from now, BMW will be todays Honda - a brand that mainstreamed priced itself into a hole nobody cares to look at.

;)

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 24, 2012, 11:46:40 AM
Wimmer, you do realize the 1 series is priced/equipped differently in the US than Germany?

You do realize we don't get the little hatches or 4 banger engines, right?

Of course.

And here nobody buys the 1-Series with the 6-cylinder except the enthusiasts. The 130i 5-Door Hatch is RARE AS HELL and has poor resale value. Talk about impractical, to.

The 128i and 135i Coupes/Convertibles on the other hand appeal to either driving enthusiasts or badge whores who want the prestige of a 6-cylinder. But they to sell in small numbers. You can get a 118i / 118d Coupe/Convertible here which is far cheaper and has lower running costs.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 23, 2012, 03:29:16 PM
A new 1-Series isn't that expensive. Buyers choose the features they want and that keeps the price in check.

Used 1-Series can be had pretty cheap. I searched for used 118i's on www.autoscout24.de.

Those cars have high mileages though

850CSi

Drove a 120i for 6 days all over the Swiss alps last week (got the 1er largely because it was RWD). Really enjoyed it, though once I got back I immediately remembered that my car is superior in basically every way sans gas mileage. And the fact that I have leatherette instead of cloth.

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 24, 2012, 04:09:47 PM
Those cars have high mileages though

True. But even 1ers with no so high mileages can be had for little money. Most of 'em are ordered with basically few extra features and that keeps the prices down.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: 850CSi on June 24, 2012, 04:12:02 PM
Drove a 120i for 6 days all over the Swiss alps last week (got the 1er largely because it was RWD). Really enjoyed it, though once I got back I immediately remembered that my car is superior in basically every way sans gas mileage. And the fact that I have leatherette instead of cloth.

The leather is also available for the 1er though. Even the BMW Individual one.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 24, 2012, 03:33:05 PM
Of course.

And here nobody buys the 1-Series with the 6-cylinder except the enthusiasts. The 130i 5-Door Hatch is RARE AS HELL and has poor resale value. Talk about impractical, to.

The 128i and 135i Coupes/Convertibles on the other hand appeal to either driving enthusiasts or badge whores who want the prestige of a 6-cylinder. But they to sell in small numbers. You can get a 118i / 118d Coupe/Convertible here which is far cheaper and has lower running costs.
Right, I get all this. But the point is, its silly to say "A new 1-Series isn't that expensive" when you are talking to folks in the US about bodystyles, trims and engines we don't get. In the US, the 1 series is expensive.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 25, 2012, 07:56:13 AM
Right, I get all this. But the point is, its silly to say "A new 1-Series isn't that expensive" when you are talking to folks in the US about bodystyles, trims and engines we don't get. In the US, the 1 series is expensive.

How is BMW marketing the 1er in America? It should be marketed as a pure driving machine (even better than the 3er). It's a car that should appeal to the purist driver.

It's not the kind of car that should appeal to the badge whore who thinks it's overpriced or for the same money goes for a 3-Series just because he wants the BMW badge. At least here these people can go for a 118i or 118d Coupe/Convertible! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2012, 07:08:42 PM
How is BMW marketing the 1er in America? It should be marketed as a pure driving machine (even better than the 3er). It's a car that should appeal to the purist driver.

It's not the kind of car that should appeal to the badge whore who thinks it's overpriced or for the same money goes for a 3-Series just because he wants the BMW badge. At least here these people can go for a 118i or 118d Coupe/Convertible! :lol:
Theyre not marketing it much. Plus marketing can only go so far. For a little more money you can get a much better equipped 3er. Its not even that much more raw than a 3er. They need to step it up.

850CSi

Quote from: Galaxy on June 25, 2012, 07:13:22 AM
The leather is also available for the 1er though. Even the BMW Individual one.

I know. You can't get a BMW with cloth in the U.S., though. I would much rather have cloth than my leatherette. Hell, I'd probably rather have cloth than real leather.

850CSi

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2012, 07:08:42 PM

If our 1er drives anything like the European one does, the 3er (well, the E90 at least) beats the shit out of it in terms of being a purist's driving machine.

That's not to say the 1er wasn't fun to drive. I enjoyed tossing it around, but my car drives nicer in literally every way.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 850CSi on June 25, 2012, 08:35:58 PM
If our 1er drives anything like the European one does, the 3er (well, the E90 at least) beats the shit out of it in terms of being a purist's driving machine.

That's not to say the 1er wasn't fun to drive. I enjoyed tossing it around, but my car drives nicer in literally every way.

Here the 1er Coupe/Convertible is said to be a bit more nimble and better-handling than the 3er.

Maybe the new 3er handles better, but against the E90 the 1er would be deemed the winner each time.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 850CSi on June 25, 2012, 08:35:58 PM

You'd have to drive a 130i or a coupe with an engine equivalent to the one you have in the 3. I have driven both and the 1 has a slight edge in dynamics over the 3 with equivalent engines. It is a small advantage that may not justify the larger loss in practicality, but it?s there.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

850CSi

Hmm. The first thing that happened when I got back and started driving was that my car kind of hit me in the face with how much more capable it was dynamically (and how much more engaging it felt) than the 1er hatch. The coupe probably drives differently, then.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on June 26, 2012, 05:30:08 PM
Hmm. The first thing that happened when I got back and started driving was that my car kind of hit me in the face with how much more capable it was dynamically (and how much more engaging it felt) than the 1er hatch. The coupe probably drives differently, then.

The hatch probably isn't as stiff, but there are a lot of things that could make you get that impression.  Tires/wheel size (in relation to sidewalls and squishiness), familiarity, et al. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on June 27, 2012, 11:20:14 AM
The hatch probably isn't as stiff, but there are a lot of things that could make you get that impression.  Tires/wheel size (in relation to sidewalls and squishiness), familiarity, et al. 

Wagon/hatchback bodystyles tend to be very rigid.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5