The Fuel Economy/Mileage Thread

Started by CALL_911, June 17, 2012, 08:43:44 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Generally, I almost never shift under 3K in daily driving.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

nickdrinkwater

Watch out guys Mizzazz will be here any minute

Onslaught

I shift around 4K for normal driving.

CJ

The Sonata is more than capable of doing its EPA estimated 34 MPG.  It did 33.3 MPG on the way down to Galveston last Friday, with my parents stopping 10 times for the dog and my mom.  I'm driving it back to see if I can do better.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 18, 2012, 07:09:48 PM
Generally, I almost never shift over 3K in daily driving.

I'm the same way, but 6K instead of 3K.  Shit, I cruise at like 3K in 6th. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

nickdrinkwater

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Colonel Cadillac

In New Orleans, just about the worst environment for getting good fuel mileage (just about zero highway and constant stop n go), I averaged 15-19 mpg. My engine sounds way too good and it's way too much fun to shift under 3k rpm.

I did get 35 mpg on the highway when I moved my stuff to Houston. Car had a lot of stuff in it too--but I went 50-55 the whole way cuz mom was trailing behind in the U-Haul.

Colonel Cadillac

Man, driving must be super boring if shifting below 3k rpm all the time.

I almost have trouble doing that when my engine is stil warming up. Audi just begs to be flogged.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27619.msg1736806#msg1736806 date=1340204713
I'm the same way, but 6K instead of 3K.  Shit, I cruise at like 3K in 6th. 
Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 21, 2012, 10:47:40 AM
Man, driving must be super boring if shifting below 3k rpm all the time.

I almost have trouble doing that when my engine is stil warming up. Audi just begs to be flogged.

I drive fast, but I tend not to accelerate fast.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2012, 11:37:41 AM
I drive fast, but I tend not to accelerate fast.

Accelerating hard is 50% of the fun.  The other half is hard turns.  Going fast is just a byproduct.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27619.msg1737243#msg1737243 date=1340300765
Accelerating hard is 50% of the fun.  The other half is hard turns.  Going fast is just a byproduct.

I also probably get the best fuel economy out of anyone on the forum....

Usually, I beat out everyone else, anyways.

GoCougs

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 21, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
But the oil that's being wasted!

'Tis okay - Normay's on the dole via its state-owned oil company!

mzziaz

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2012, 11:55:04 AM
'Tis okay - Normay's on the dole via its state-owned oil company!

<3% unemployment!
Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

Quote from: mzziaz on June 21, 2012, 12:45:24 PM
<3% unemployment!

So what happens when (not if) Norway runs out of oil, or should GWists be successful in doing a hit job on oil consumption?

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

That's fine.  I'll gladly give up gas mileage for driving enjoyment. 

And with your Yaris, you could cane the motherfucking ass out of it and it would still get better gas mileage than most of us.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Speed_Racer

Before it died, id get 26 mpg around town in the Mr2. Which wasn't bad because the car would barely get to operating temp before I arrived. It'd do 33mpg on freeways.

Tonight I'll be finishing up the first tank on the Trooper so we'll see just how bad it is.

nickdrinkwater

TBR

Quote from: TBR on June 17, 2012, 10:05:33 PM
Just drove to Colorado today. Pushed over 177k on the way, got 25mpg on the first tank and 23 on the second.

Somehow got 26 mpg on the last tank, which was half 75-80 freeway driving and half small mountain roads (which are hell on the Subie). Kinda strange because that's probably the best mileage I ever gotten in the Subaru.

MX793

Low to mid 20s in the Mustang, but my driving is largely suburban (fair amount of stop-and-go, speeds between 30 and 45 mph).  On a long highway slog, I've gotten north of 32.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

23.68mpg on the last tank.  I hate the summer.  High temps and lots of traffic.  My commute time nearly doubles 81 times a year, plus beach traffic.  Fucking white people.  You don't like brown people, but you sure love getting skin cancer to look kind of like them.  And sand in your vaginas. 

It doesn't help that after a jam, I drive even harder to make up time...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2012, 09:28:47 PM
23.68mpg on the last tank.  I hate the summer.  High temps and lots of traffic.  My commute time nearly doubles 81 times a year, plus beach traffic.  Fucking white people.  You don't like brown people, but you sure love getting skin cancer to look kind of like them.  And sand in your vaginas. 

Haha, in D.C. summer traffic is lighter because so many people have traveled elsewhere. And my mileage also improves because the engine warms up faster, which makes a significant difference on a short commute.

Speed_Racer

OK. Filled up the Trooper - 18.13 mpg, which is a lot better than I had hoped. Considering my short commute, stop and go traffic lights, and using the A/C all the time.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2012, 09:28:47 PM

I love the beach :praise:

Northlands

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

If I decide to granpa drive my car, I'm convinced mine could match a Yaris. I can get low 30's in town pretty easily so long as I keep the fun to a bare minimum. I couldn't do it for long, as boredom would creep in.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 21, 2012, 09:31:45 PM
Haha, in D.C. summer traffic is lighter because so many people have traveled elsewhere. And my mileage also improves because the engine warms up faster, which makes a significant difference on a short commute.

I think it's the turbo.  It doesn't like the hot weather.  But yeah, there are three other components to the traffic here.  One is Phillies home games.  If it's paired with hockey or basketball, but if it's Flyers or Sixers alone, it's not a problem.  That's 45,000+ extra people going into the city, all taking the same exit. 

The second component is beach traffic.  Everyone jumps on the bridges to go to the Jersey Shore (and to a lesser extent Delaware, but they're all going south, so that doesn't really affect me unless I have to go to work early on a weekend morning), and since it's the summer, they have construction going on.  There are three bridges that people use, two that are used more than the other two. 

And then there's a bridge to get into the city that's under construction and was closed for months.  So that's component three, construction.  They close lanes in the busiest areas at the busiest times to pave a road that didn't need to be paved in the first place. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Morris Minor

Pilot: 18.17mpg, brewed for Atlanta summer blend premium ($3.37/gal). Hot weather, commute traffic.

I'm going to do one more tank of premium then drop to regular.

One good aspect of the economy shrinking is that gas prices are down.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

Just got back from PA, round trip 255 miles. Never went under 70, and had a bit of traffic and city driving. I topped out at 85MPH almost 90.

37MPG, which is AWESOME. No matter what I do, MPG's on this car will always be good.

Raza

I got 25.55 last tank, which has been my best so far.  It's all dependent on how much I control my right foot.  Tank before that I got 21.8 and before that 24.8.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i