A/C issue

Started by nickdrinkwater, June 19, 2012, 09:12:36 AM

nickdrinkwater

Hi guys

The a/c/climate control on my car stopped working the other day.  Took it to the garage today and been told it's a leaking pipe that needs replacing.  I'm sure the diagnosis is right as when I bought the car last year I had the seller regas it and it has gone flat again since then.

Anyway, question is do you think ?360 is a fair price to get this fixed?  This includes the part (260-something) and labour presumably which is 2 hours

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nick

TurboDan

The labor sounds about right, but ?260 for the pipe sounds pretty steep. Would it be possible for you to get the part number (or perhaps the exact name of the part) and look it up online to compare?

S204STi

shp4man

Need the car's year, model, engine size and the part name of the hose- Suction? Discharge? Liquid line? Manifold assembly?

nickdrinkwater

Thanks guys

2007 Passat 1.9 TDI

Not sure on the part no/name just yet but I understand it is a pipe somewhere that has broken which means the refridgerant has escaped from the system.   You can tell I'm no HVAC expert  :lol:

shp4man

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 20, 2012, 01:26:22 PM
Thanks guys

2007 Passat 1.9 TDI

Not sure on the part no/name just yet but I understand it is a pipe somewhere that has broken which means the refridgerant has escaped from the system.   You can tell I'm no HVAC expert  :lol:

Well, since that powertrain apparenty wasn't available here, I can only estimate, but at a shop rate of $100 an hour, the average parts/labor for an average hose replacement, leak test, evacuate, recover and recharge would be about $630 American dollars.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: shp4man on June 20, 2012, 05:10:04 PM
Well, since that powertrain apparenty wasn't available here, I can only estimate, but at a shop rate of $100 an hour, the average parts/labor for an average hose replacement, leak test, evacuate, recover and recharge would be about $630 American dollars.

Thanks buddy  :cheers:.  That matches up with what I have here then, and is probably accurate since the whole system will be common across different powertrains.

Morris Minor

Does the 1.9 diesel drive OK with the a/c running? I know they suck a few horsepower, which can be a issue with on lower output engines.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CJ

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 23, 2012, 04:25:54 PM
Does the 1.9 diesel drive OK with the a/c running? I know they suck a few horsepower, which can be a issue with on lower output engines.

My driver's ed car was a 2001 Jetta TDI and I remember it being just fine.  I drove the balls off of it every time I detailed it. 

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 23, 2012, 04:25:54 PM

Absolutely fine.  Until it stopped working, I had the A/C on permanently since that's how climate control systems are meant to work in order to maintain a temperature (or so i heard)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 26, 2012, 10:23:13 AM
Absolutely fine.  Until it stopped working, I had the A/C on permanently since that's how climate control systems are meant to work in order to maintain a temperature (or so i heard)

The A/C cools, you don't need it unless you need to cool or de-humidify. Because running the A/C and heater will produce air that isn't as hot as just heater but will take moisture out of the air.
Will

nickdrinkwater

Ok thanks

So I've got it fixed

How often should A/C be used in order to keep it working correctly?  Every week?  Or is this a myth?

Rupert

I'd say that's a myth. Use it when you need it, and not when you don't.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

shp4man

The compressor's shaft seal uses lubricating oil mixed with the cold juice (refrigerant R-134A) to complete the seal. If it dries out from long time non-operation, some or all the R-134A can leak out the compressor shaft.

AutobahnSHO

a/c will cause a drop in mpg about 1-3?

Running it every week or two should be fine, what maybe 10-15min?
Will

280Z Turbo

The A/C on my Z worked fine until I removed it for intercooler/terbow power. Every other seal was dried out, but the A/C worked fine.

I'd file this under shade tree mechanic's tall tales along with the "250 mpg carbuerator" and "leaky muffler cracks valves".

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2012, 07:22:19 PM
a/c will cause a drop in mpg about 1-3?

Running it every week or two should be fine, what maybe 10-15min?

Yes.

And once every 2 months is OK.

shp4man

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 11, 2012, 07:44:58 PM
The A/C on my Z worked fine until I removed it for intercooler/terbow power. Every other seal was dried out, but the A/C worked fine.

I'd file this under shade tree mechanic's tall tales along with the "250 mpg carbuerator" and "leaky muffler cracks valves".

Compressor runs in the defrost position- even in the winter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 11, 2012, 07:44:58 PM

Its one of those things that may or may not be true; but I'll run the AC on the Caddy every couple of months anyways, because it just might be true.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2012, 10:12:48 PM
Its one of those things that may or may not be true; but I'll run the AC on the Caddy every couple of months anyways, because it just might be true.

Your Cadillac runs?!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 13, 2012, 12:36:07 AM
Your Cadillac runs?!

Yes, but it doesn't drive at the moment.

The original 425 is in it and complete, and that runs. The new motor is still incomplete. Most of the accessories on the old motor will go on the new one, including the AC compressor.

To be brutally honest, I start it mostly just because that's about the only time I get to play with it at all.

Life lesson #32567: If you want to restore a car, don't have twins.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Twins aren't all that bad
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 14, 2012, 01:26:40 AM

Twins aren't all that bad

My twins are a boy and a girl, and they just turned one.

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 14, 2012, 01:32:45 AM
My twins are a boy and a girl, and they just turned one.

Oh, you meant the other way of "having" twins :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 14, 2012, 01:35:17 AM
Oh, you meant the other way of "having" twins :lol:

yes, yes I did.

perv.