MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

Raza

Yeah.  It depends on whether you want people thinking that you're gay or thinking that you're a lesbian.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on July 25, 2012, 08:57:19 PM

:wub:

You should start using tire shine, too.  It would put in a whole new world of sick-looking.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2012, 07:51:47 AM
Yeah.  It depends on whether you want people thinking that you're gay or thinking that you're a lesbian.

:lol:

Not sure if the lesbian thing applies to Scion... maybe just ghey
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2012, 09:31:41 AM
You should start using tire shine, too.  It would put in a whole new world of sick-looking.

Tire shine?  That shit is lame.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2012, 09:46:05 AM
Tire shine?  That shit is lame.

I suppose that's why every new car has it and every detailer uses it.  On a some cars, using just a little bit of tire shine to bring back the "brand new tire" look is all it needs...the BRZ is one of those cars, I suspect.  Not high gloss, but just a deep black tire.

Eye of the Tiger

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2012, 10:39:12 AM
I suppose that's why every new car has it and every detailer uses it.  On a some cars, using just a little bit of tire shine to bring back the "brand new tire" look is all it needs...the BRZ is one of those cars, I suspect.  Not high gloss, but just a deep black tire.

Maybe I've avoided it because the sidewall rollover issue on taller tires.  I don't particularly love the look, either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan of tire shine.  Rubber is not a naturally reflective material.  It just looks like someone smeared snot all over it.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 26, 2012, 11:09:09 AM
Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan of tire shine.  Rubber is not a naturally reflective material.  It just looks like someone smeared snot all over it.

That's the original formula.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

You can shine tires to just look blacker, instead of all shiny and crap. That's what I do on my car.

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

I hate Armor-All. My Focus was "detailed" from the dealer with that shit everywhere. It's like the Armor-All monster jacked off on everything.

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 26, 2012, 02:29:25 PM
I hate Armor-All. My Focus was "detailed" from the dealer with that shit everywhere. It's like the Armor-All monster jacked off on everything.
I hate it too. I'll only use it or something like it if I've got no choice at all. And even then just a little and I'll try to get as much off after that as I can.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 26, 2012, 02:29:25 PM

They soak a rag in a bucket full of Armor All and rub it all over.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Onslaught on July 26, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
I hate it too. I'll only use it or something like it if I've got no choice at all. And even then just a little and I'll try to get as much off after that as I can.

If you've got pee in your bladder, there's always a choice.

Eye of the Tiger

I like the Meguiars low-gloss interior whatever stuff.

Lebowski

TurboDan

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 26, 2012, 03:03:49 PM
I like the Meguiars low-gloss interior whatever stuff.

That's what I use. It's far superior to Armorall. Gives the interior a clean look without appearing like you spilled a bottle of hair gel and rubbed it all over everything in your car.

MrH

This car is the best.  Ordered a homelink mirror today.  Debating whether I want to hardwire a Valentine 1 radar detector next to it.  I've seen people do really slick concealed displays within the mirror too.

I need to get started on some of these things.  Going to try and order vinyl sheets to wrap the taillights tonight.  Tint got delayed all the way until next week now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2012, 12:31:04 PM
This car is the best.  Ordered a homelink mirror today.  Debating whether I want to hardwire a Valentine 1 radar detector next to it.  I've seen people do really slick concealed displays within the mirror too.

I need to get started on some of these things.  Going to try and order vinyl sheets to wrap the taillights tonight.  Tint got delayed all the way until next week now.
Do this mang:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/37014-el-cheapo-rearview-mirror-mount-passport-9500ix.html
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on July 26, 2012, 11:09:09 AM

Yea, but it looks like shit if you don't use something. I put the tire shine stuff on and then wipe as much off as I can so it's not all bling bling. But you can't have dull looking tires or a clean car looks like ass.

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on August 01, 2012, 12:51:24 PM
Do this mang:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/37014-el-cheapo-rearview-mirror-mount-passport-9500ix.html

Meh, too low.  If I did it, it'd be mounted above and to the right of the mirror.  Maybe a remote display the lights up in the mirror when an alert goes off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2012, 12:31:04 PM

My Valentine One Is hardwired just to the left of my mirror.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2012, 10:51:46 AM
Maybe I've avoided it because the sidewall rollover issue on taller tires.  I don't particularly love the look, either.

Sidewall rollover is not an issue unless you're running at 7/10ths or more.  Plus, if rollover does occur, the road very quickly will strip the tire shine right off, reducing slickness.  New-looking tires look great, especially on taller tires on trucks/SUVs/etc.  It really just depends on the vehicle.  However, it is my firm belief that NO car looks good with dirty tires.  When I see a relatively clean car with mildly clean wheels, dirt all over the side skirts, and not-clean tires, I know that person is lazy and went through some shitty touchless automatic wash.  Those things do NOT clean wheels or tough low-body grime well, and the tires certainly don't get much attention. 

[/rant]

Secret Chimp

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2012, 11:49:27 PM
Sidewall rollover is not an issue unless you're running at 7/10ths or more.  Plus, if rollover does occur, the road very quickly will strip the tire shine right off, reducing slickness.
[/rant]

Fuck a fucking live I have never heard a more unthusiast concern.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 01, 2012, 11:52:07 PM
Fuck a fucking live I have never heard a more unthusiast concern.

Wait, my concern or his?  I'm not concerned at all. 

giant_mtb

And, Mike, if you really want to do a good job of protecting your interior with a low-gloss protectant, please do buy a gallon of this... http://www.autogeek.net/128oz.html  Yes, it's $60/gallon, but you can dilute it (I do about 2:1) in a spray bottle.  Apply it, wait a few seconds, and wipe it dry.  It leaves a low-gloss finish, protects the surface, and is super easy to use.  I'm amazed with it and glad I got it.  A gallon will last you a few years, guaranteed.  I use the stuff nearly every day and I'm only 1/4 through my gallon...it doesn't take much!  It's also a great low-gloss tire dressing.  A bit expensive, but well worth it. :ohyeah:

hotrodalex

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2012, 11:49:27 PM
Sidewall rollover is not an issue unless you're running at 7/10ths or more.  Plus, if rollover does occur, the road very quickly will strip the tire shine right off, reducing slickness.  New-looking tires look great, especially on taller tires on trucks/SUVs/etc.  It really just depends on the vehicle.  However, it is my firm belief that NO car looks good with dirty tires.  When I see a relatively clean car with mildly clean wheels, dirt all over the side skirts, and not-clean tires, I know that person is lazy and went through some shitty touchless automatic wash.  Those things do NOT clean wheels or tough low-body grime well, and the tires certainly don't get much attention. 

[/rant]

My dad used tire shine to keep track of the tire contact patch when he was running the autocross course. If the tire shine was still there, he could continue to deflate the tires a bit and get more traction. To help ease Raza's concern, he had the tires down to 30 psi and was running at like 9/10s, yet the sidewalls were fine. If Radial T/As don't roll over on an autocross course, I think any modern tire will be okay.