MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CJ

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Do you know who makes your lamps? Koito, Stanley or Ichikoh?

J86

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 30, 2012, 02:10:47 PM
Do you know who makes your lamps? Koito, Stanley or Ichikoh?

No idea.
Quote from: Raza  on August 30, 2012, 01:03:36 PM
And then paint over your reverse lights.

Lol!

I'll be going with option one. Spent a lot last month on my car (tint, oil change, homelink mirror, detailing supplies,extra $800 towards the principle, etc). I'll wait until my mint.com account recovers a bit, then I'll order the LEDs, overlays, relays for the LEDs, etc. I think it'll look much better once it's all said and done.

Then I'll be done for the exterior for now. Moving onto wrapping some parts inside for extra cash, saving for summer wheels and tires, maybe an exhaust.

Still loving the shit out of this car. It's perfect for me. Right size, averaged right at 30 mpg (which is great given how I drive), great to drive. I will say, if an STI version comes out with sticky wide tires and 300+ Hp... :mask: pretty much guaranteed I would sell a limb tlif I have to to get it. Nothing will come close to touching it.

There are turbo kits now coming out at over 350 whp. Id much prefer it all from the factory though.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on September 01, 2012, 09:00:03 AM
...I will say, if an STI version comes out with sticky wide tires and 300+ Hp... :mask: pretty much guaranteed I would sell a limb tlif I have to to get it. Nothing will come close to touching it.

There are turbo kits now coming out at over 350 whp. Id much prefer it all from the factory though.

I'll take the hand-me-downs...   :lol:   

take your time with the ricez. There will be better stuff out as they keep working on it.
Will

MrH

Also, I'm going to be taking off the subaru badge tomorrow. Looks way too cluttered, the difference in the font and size compared to the BRZ logo bothers me too. It's also really loose already. Keeping the BRZ and of course the subaru stars :praise:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT_Power

Test drove a FRS a couple of days ago. Probably the best "connected" car I've ever driven. Not much body roll, no slack in the steering, just turns when you turn the wheel. Wonderful to drive. Visibility out of the thing is great. The suspension system is tight, but it's not harsh - a real rarity in cars these days, so koodos to you Subaru.

With that said, I don't think I could ever own one. The road noise is ridiculous. I mean the exhaust noise is loud (and it's not a good sound) when you get above ~3k RPM, but the road/tire noise is just unacceptable. The interior was never anything to write home about, so I won't bother going there.

I think at the end of the day, yes it is by far the best affordable driver's car. But I'm not sure the tradeoff between fun and civility is an acceptable amount here.

Your thoughts on my take Mike?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

Hmm.  Still no Accessport from COBB for the BRZzzzz.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 01, 2012, 10:47:21 AM
Test drove a FRS a couple of days ago. Probably the best "connected" car I've ever driven. Not much body roll, no slack in the steering, just turns when you turn the wheel. Wonderful to drive. Visibility out of the thing is great. The suspension system is tight, but it's not harsh - a real rarity in cars these days, so koodos to you Subaru.

With that said, I don't think I could ever own one. The road noise is ridiculous. I mean the exhaust noise is loud (and it's not a good sound) when you get above ~3k RPM, but the road/tire noise is just unacceptable. The interior was never anything to write home about, so I won't bother going there.

I think at the end of the day, yes it is by far the best affordable driver's car. But I'm not sure the tradeoff between fun and civility is an acceptable amount here.

Is it louder than Countour with straight pipes?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

I'm used to road noise, wouldn't bother me much.  And I like to hear the exhaust somewhat.  Wish mine were just a hair louder.  I have the STI muffler which is louder than the WRX, but not quite to where I'd like it.

The problem with aftermarket  is they go from Not Quite to Way Too Much.

MX793

I likewise was not impressed at all by the FR-S interior.  However, the BRZ gets a nicer interior (with a radio that doesn't look like a slap-dash Pep Boys special, which makes a huge difference on the impression one gets of the inside of the car).  Didn't get a chance to drive one, unfortunately.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

It's all about what you're coming from I guess.  I agree on all counts as to being the best driver's car that's remotely affordable for me (a used Cayman is probably better, but I don't consider that obtainable right now).

As to the harshness of it, I disagree.  I came from a Miata.  This thing feels like a luxury cruise liner in comparison.  I thought it was really quiet :lol:.  The interior is ok.  Pretty awful in the FRS, loads better in the BRZ.  There are some minor things that make it look a lot better.  The navigation head unit in my car is loads better, and the manual climate control in the FRS is just parts bin junk.  One of the reasons I got the Limited was because the auto climate control area and push to start make the interior sooo much nicer. 

I thought you drove a lowered, SVT contour with exhaust?  To me, this car is the perfect daily driver for me.  I had zero issues driving 4+ hours straight in this.  Every comfort item is there (comfy, hugging seats, nav, auto climate, push to start, HIDs, heated seats, SiriusXM, bluetooth, etc), but still offers the best driving experience, all while giving me 30 mpg.  I guess if you're coming from cushy Hyundai CUVs, this car will be a bit much for you :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: S204STi on September 01, 2012, 11:31:21 AM
I'm used to road noise, wouldn't bother me much.  And I like to hear the exhaust somewhat.  Wish mine were just a hair louder.  I have the STI muffler which is louder than the WRX, but not quite to where I'd like it.

The problem with aftermarket  is they go from Not Quite to Way Too Much.

Agreed.  There's one exhaust right now that's supposed to be really tame.  Hard to tell from YouTube videos, but that seems to be the case :rockon:.  I'm sort of considering, but it'll be a bit before I dump money into an exhaust.  I've got more important things to pay for first (namely snow tires and summer wheels and tires).
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Mustangfan2003

The local Toyota dealer has the Scion twin of this car, it's a red/orange color.  Been meaning to stop and look at it. 

sportyaccordy

The only way to check for exhausts is in person. On YT there is no difference in sound between the baffle and no baffle on my exhaust. IRL it is the difference between a lawnmower and a helicopter. And its that boomy low frequency range that becomes drone on the highway.

I have done a few exhausts. I think w/more cylinders the sound gets smoother so you can get away w/more. Also makes a HUGE difference if you have a cat. I had 3 cats (two at the header and one after the y pipe) on my Maima and then a straight pipe to a straight through 2.5" exhaust. Sounded glorious. Had pretty much the same setup on my 1st Accord, but w/no cats, and a weak resonator... ungodly loud. If you want more power, I would say go w/some headers that have a 3" outlet, and then get a 3" cat, 3" crush bent piping and a 3" in-out baffled muffler. You will get a little more sound, but pretty much all the performance of a straight through exhaust w/none of the drone. I don't think it will cost too much $$$ either, and you can paint the can black + get a chrome tip to make it look fancy.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2012, 11:58:01 AM
The only way to check for exhausts is in person. On YT there is no difference in sound between the baffle and no baffle on my exhaust. IRL it is the difference between a lawnmower and a helicopter. And its that boomy low frequency range that becomes drone on the highway.

I have done a few exhausts. I think w/more cylinders the sound gets smoother so you can get away w/more. Also makes a HUGE difference if you have a cat. I had 3 cats (two at the header and one after the y pipe) on my Maima and then a straight pipe to a straight through 2.5" exhaust. Sounded glorious. Had pretty much the same setup on my 1st Accord, but w/no cats, and a weak resonator... ungodly loud. If you want more power, I would say go w/some headers that have a 3" outlet, and then get a 3" cat, 3" crush bent piping and a 3" in-out baffled muffler. You will get a little more sound, but pretty much all the performance of a straight through exhaust w/none of the drone. I don't think it will cost too much $$$ either, and you can paint the can black + get a chrome tip to make it look fancy.
I've been watching exhaust videos for Mustang and Charger on YouTube and the Corsa videos are all done in HD so the sound is actually pretty accurate.  The other manufacturers' videos suck.

MrH

:wub:

Notice anything different?

Overlays are being purchased this week.  I'm getting a new camera too, so I'll do a nice photoshoot before heading to Germany for 3 weeks :praise:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Will

Onslaught

It's funny, young guys buy cars and start changing things right off the bat. And guy my age buy them and think "thank God I've not got to do anything to this thing." Only thing I've changed on my main car is the oil.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on September 03, 2012, 11:45:27 AM
It's funny, young guys buy cars and start changing things right off the bat. And guy my age buy them and think "thank God I've not got to do anything to this thing." Only thing I've changed on my main car is the oil.

I would definitely do tint on a car, otherwise I've had the Miata for a couple months and pulled the center console up to run a phone charger and have a junkyard spare driver's seat I need to swap the speakers and install.  Subie has been around since 2008- tinted, put my woofer in the back. Sienna we bought in summer 2009, put a hitch on, is otherwise untouched.

Don't get me wrong, if I had money I'd repaint the Miata (red with white racing stripes and powdercoat the wheels white), do foglights, and some kind of DRLs up front (I'm thinking bright white LEDs in the corners of the turn signals). Oh and hitch receiver for a bike rack. On the Subie I'd maybe go Outback suspension/wheels/foglights on it. Now that it's not my only workcar, I could maybe go a little more "outdoorsey" on it.
Will

MrH

Craig posted a thread about it.  Didn't want to high jack it.

Black roof actually looks really good on this.  I'm not going to both though for awhile.  Just thought it was interesting.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on September 03, 2012, 11:45:27 AM

People are always telling me "you should do this" and "you should do that" to my car, but I think I'm much older in that regard.  I don't want to change much besides add some tint.  Maybe wheels at some point, but that's about it.  Why ruin a good thing?

280Z Turbo

I don't even like tint, actually. Makes the car look ghetto.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 09, 2012, 11:13:56 AM
I don't even like tint, actually. Makes the car look ghetto.

Tint is lame, stupid, and should be illegal, with the possible exception for in really, really, really hot states where they have some sort of somewhat legit excuse for tinting their windows.  Personally, I say move to somewhere cooler if it's too fucking hot for you.  I mean, no one is keeping you in Texas at gunpoint...right?  Yet, I digress.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Some people need it for sensitive eyes, too.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 09, 2012, 11:49:20 AM

Dr. Dre will write you a prescription for 35% tint and chrome dubs.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 09, 2012, 11:49:20 AM

Sensitive eyes?  What, sunglasses don't exist for those people?  I have sensitive eyes, I wear sunglasses.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i