I feel like Wimmer reading people's comments on the BRFS

Started by sportyaccordy, June 26, 2012, 09:34:13 PM

Northlands

Quote from: Onslaught on June 27, 2012, 09:10:13 PM
Why are people fighting about this? Why are we mad that a light weight sports car is out that any of us can afford? If you ask me it's a great thing.

Beats me. Many enthusiasts were clamoring for more RWD cars to be made available and here they are.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 28, 2012, 05:28:24 PM
Pro tip of the day" "Purists" are generally assholes.

Yep, it's like the music guys who sit around and act like they're better then everyone and only like bands that people have never heard of before.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

I do not go into heart palpatations when one refers to an Exige as a sports car, or an S2000 as a roadster. (and on the firearms front, I don't go apeshit over people calling it a clip or a mag either)

What about calling a suppressor a silencer?

TurboDan

Indeed. I don't put stock into any of these self-appointed "governing bodies" of anything.

We had a guy locally who caught a world record size fish, but the international governing body of fishing won't recognize it because he used a type of fishing line they don't like. WTF? He caught the fucking fish!?!?

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 28, 2012, 04:18:26 PM
If a sports car has to have an open roof, what is an Exige?

A sports car.  The roof is removable. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on June 28, 2012, 04:40:58 PM
I gather you must speak a lot of Old English?

Hw?t! W? G?rdena in g?ardagum   
??odcyninga ?rym gefr?non?   
h? ?? ??elingas ellen fremedon.

Almost always.  But I spell it Olde.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I do not go into heart palpatations when one refers to an Exige as a sports car, or an S2000 as a roadster. (and on the firearms front, I don't go apeshit over people calling it a clip or a mag either)

That's why I changed my custom title.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on June 28, 2012, 05:48:16 PM
Yep, it's like the music guys who sit around and act like they're better then everyone and only like bands that people have never heard of before.

I do that too. 

Do you want me to email you a copy of Strawberry Alarm Clock?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 28, 2012, 06:46:54 PM
What about calling a suppressor a silencer?

Ehh, as long as I know what they're talking about, I don't really care.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 28, 2012, 08:40:59 PM
A sports car.  The roof is removable. 
OK, what do you call these?

And what exactly is the value of the distinction?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 28, 2012, 09:12:22 PM
OK, what do you call these?

And what exactly is the value of the distinction?

A shooting brake, a GT, and two cars, one a GT, one a sports car.

The value of these ditstinctions is that you get to roll your eyes and act like a douche whenever somebody gets them wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

That targa top NSX is not a sports car. It has to have a snap-on cloth top that includes the rear window, and zip-up plastic side windows to be considered a sports car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 28, 2012, 09:17:50 PM
That targa top NSX is not a sports car. It has to have a snap-on cloth top that includes the rear window, and zip-up plastic side windows to be considered a sports car.

No, that'll make it a roadster. It's called a targa top because its a special type of top that became popular after the Targa Florio, an italian open road race that was open to sports cars and sports cars only, even long after most high performance cars became closed roof cars.

Thus, by definition, targa topped cars are sports cars

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 28, 2012, 09:23:21 PM
No, that'll make it a roadster. It's called a targa top because its a special type of top that became popular after the Targa Florio, an italian open road race that was open to sports cars and sports cars only, even long after most high performance cars became closed roof cars.

Thus, by definition, targa topped cars are sports cars

Except that a roadster is a horse with a little cart behind it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 28, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
Except that a roadster is a horse with a little cart behind it.

Unless it has isinglass windows. Then its a surrey.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27661.msg1741347#msg1741347 date=1340937757
That's why I changed my custom title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MDsfdgprRo

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 28, 2012, 09:14:47 PM
A shooting brake, a GT, and two cars, one a GT, one a sports car.

The value of these ditstinctions is that you get to roll your eyes and act like a douche whenever somebody gets them wrong.

Yes, on all accounts.

But you might as well ask what's the point of the distinction between an SUV and crossover, sedan and coupe, or a snake and a rabbit.  We're human beings, we're hard coded to differentiate, archetype, and categorize. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 28, 2012, 09:19:42 PM
So, Raza what is this?

Or this?

GTs. 

And let's not forget that I wasn't the one who brought up this argument.  I said that I was happy letting it go until Sean brought me into this.  First person who gets pissed at that this has turned into a sports car vs. GT thread, be pissed at Sean.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

It's perfect as it is, the more power you have the less you can exploit it all.  IMO

nickdrinkwater

Where does the RWD thing come from?

E.g. if the Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera is considered a sports car then what about the 4S model?

Otherwise agree that a sports car is an open roof not a targa or a fixed roof

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2012, 04:16:16 AM
Yes, on all accounts.

But you might as well ask what's the point of the distinction between an SUV and crossover, sedan and coupe, or a snake and a rabbit.  We're human beings, we're hard coded to differentiate, archetype, and categorize. 
Nobody is going to try and call a snake a rabbit. The point is "correcting" someone on what is or isn't a sports car, by what really amounts to your own definition (because there are so many), is silly. Where did you get your definition from? Here are a few I've seen:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sports+car
Quotesports car

noun
a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usually seating two persons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car
QuoteA sports car (or sportscar or sport car) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for performance driving and maneuverability.[1] Sports cars have been either spartan or luxurious, but good handling and minimum weight are requisite.[2]

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/57052/performance_cars/definition_of_a_sports_car.html
QuoteInsurance companies use their own formula in classifying automobiles and often the presence of two doors automatically makes any car a "sports car" in their eyes.

Road and Track, a leading automotive publication, summarizes the sports card definition debate with a simple observation: "Ask five people the exact definition of a sports car, and you'll likely get five different answers."

There is no clear-cut definition of what really is a sports car. The restrictive definitions of the past seem ill suited to categorize today's' diverse automotive offerings and common usage of the term runs contrary to most long-held definitions.

Etc.

A sedan is a sedan. It can have 2 or 4 doors. A coupe is generally defined in purpose but is just as ambiguous as the sports car IMO. A crossover is an SUV built from a car platform. A snake is a reptile, a rabbit is a mammal (I am pretty sure my dachshund is part rabbit). They are defined by however the biological community classifies them through genus/species. Who defines what a sports car is? What has more authority on definitions than... a dictionary lol. Its such a pointless self serving distracting exercise.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2012, 04:16:16 AM
Yes, on all accounts.

They're useful when they let other people know what you're talking about. If communication is achieved, then the word worked.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 29, 2012, 07:27:18 AM
Nobody is going to try and call a snake a rabbit. The point is "correcting" someone on what is or isn't a sports car, by what really amounts to your own definition (because there are so many), is silly. Where did you get your definition from? Here are a few I've seen:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sports+car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car
http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/57052/performance_cars/definition_of_a_sports_car.html
Etc.

A sedan is a sedan. It can have 2 or 4 doors. A coupe is generally defined in purpose but is just as ambiguous as the sports car IMO. A crossover is an SUV built from a car platform. A snake is a reptile, a rabbit is a mammal (I am pretty sure my dachshund is part rabbit). They are defined by however the biological community classifies them through genus/species. Who defines what a sports car is? What has more authority on definitions than... a dictionary lol. Its such a pointless self serving distracting exercise.

Hey, I was going to let it go because you guys all get so offended when you find out that an Accord coupe isn't a sports car or whatever.  I don't get why there's so much anger over the term.  No one gets upset over any other classification.   :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Calling your baseless, sourceless classification what it is is hardly getting offended or angry. Again, produce some kind of source stating a sports car is what you claim or stop hitting people over the head when they call something like a Viper GTS a sports car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2012, 05:48:22 PM
Hey, I was going to let it go because you guys all get so offended when you find out that an Accord coupe isn't a sports car or whatever.  I don't get why there's so much anger over the term.  No one gets upset over any other classification.   :huh:

No one's claiming to define the Accord coupe as a sports car, brah.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 29, 2012, 09:14:54 PM
Calling your baseless, sourceless classification what it is is hardly getting offended or angry. Again, produce some kind of source stating a sports car is what you claim or stop hitting people over the head when they call something like a Viper GTS a sports car.

Well, its not sourceless, but it is sort of anal retentive to keep on about it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2012, 02:24:55 PM
:facepalm:

Way to come in and miss the entire point of this thread :lol:.

There is no point to this thread. It's stupid, and so is every and any argument regarding the BRZ/FRS, because everyone has their own opinion on what they want the car to be and no one can be "right". It's just a car. It's not perfect. Some like it, some don't. Some people like it but think there could be a few improvements (which is my opinion). In the end, does it matter?