Jeep Grand Cherokee fails "Moose Test," Chrysler insults testers

Started by Secret Chimp, July 12, 2012, 10:03:04 AM

Secret Chimp

Chrysler claims the vehicle's maximum weight was ignored, testers maintain the door sticker was followed. Supposedly the below near-roll started at only 39 mph! Cars are loaded down to their maximum payload weight for this test.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/chrysler-fails-moose-test-and-breaks-first-commandment/#more-452284

European automakers know that there is only one thing that is worse than Teknikens V?rld fabled moose test, and that is failing the moose test and then arguing with the Swedish magazine. Italy-owned Chrysler is getting that education.  Not enough that Teknikens V?rld  found  the Jeep Grand Cherokee ?lethal in evasive maneuver.?  

It now caught Chrysler?s propaganda arm committing a deadly sin in the hoopla business, violating the first commandment of flackery: When you stepped in the shit, don?t walk around the house.

After  ?the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD V6 tipped up on two wheels and was close to rolling over in the Teknikens V?rld moose test, despite having packed the car in accordance to Jeep?s specifications,?  Chrysler lashed out against the magazine, calling the report ?definitely ?set up,? which is nothing short of criminal.? Chrysler says the vehicle was overloaded by 110 lbs, a claim many overworked and underpaid web editor swallowed and printed.

Not true, says Teknikens V?rld. In a spirited retort that may get more traffic than the original story, and Chrysler in trouble with the authorities, Teknikens V?rld editor Mattias Rabe writes:

?Prior to the moose test we packed the car with four passengers and sandbags with a combined weight of 602 kilos (1 327 lbs) which is the maximum amount according to the cars certificate of registration that has been provided by Jeep/Chrysler to the Swedish Transport Agency, Transportstyrelsen. We proceeded to our test track to conduct the moose test. We immediately noticed that there was something strange about the car?s behavior ? it tended to tip over on two wheels even at low speeds. We accordingly unloaded 100 kilos (220 lbs) out of the car so that the total cargo weight now registered at 502 kilos (1 106 lbs), 100 kilos under Jeep/Chryslers own registered maximum cargo weight. When we hit the track once again ? now at the, for the type of vehicle, low speed of 63.5 km/h (39.5 mph) ? the car went up on to two wheels and nearly rolled over.?

How the test is conducted: Standard evasive maneuver, no moose needed
Not enough that the Grand Cherokee failed the moose test, something that can seriously impede a car?s career in Europe (ask Daimler about the A-class.) Not enough that Chrysler?s public remarks will have attracted the attention of even the laziest lawyer. Spurned  Teknikens V?rld now alleges that Chrysler supplied wrong information to the Swedish government, saying that the car weighs ?a full 158 kilos (348 lbs) more than what Jeep/Chrysler claims the car to weigh in the official documentation provided to Swedish authorities.?

Sweden is a member of the EU, the EU has Whole Vehicle Type Approval (a car legal in one EU state is legal in all,) and providing wrong information to one government quickly can turn into a pan-European mess.

Chrysler?s reaction, including the recommendation that Teknikens V?rld editors take ?phosphorous tablets, ?a well-known supplement to support brain and memory? is mean spirited , and it is guaranteed to produce lots of bad PR.

Some may notice that the tires are in a perilous state on that picture. Teknikens V?rld says the moose test was ?conducted with the correct tire pressure for maximum load according to the recommendations provided by Jeep/Chrysler via a sticker on the car?s B-pillar.?

It's pretty alarming that the thing will readily get up on two wheels at just under 40 mph with a heavy load, but regardless of the question of the stated maximum weight being followed or not, Chrysler's reaction is stupefying.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

mzziaz

Ha, ha!

Don't fuck with Teknikens V?rld. Chrysler needs to fire some PR persons - and build better cars it seems.

Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

You should tell users to take phosphorous tablets for the next help article you write. That's an awesome response. Was the Chrysler rep drunk?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I don't know guys, there's another article where Chrysler and this company was unable to replicate these results.

Galaxy

Ah yes, the famous moose test.

That event was responsible for the success of ESP. At the time only the S class had ESP. The failed moose test spurred Mercedes to add it to the A class as standard equipment. Other manufacturers then were forced to follow suit.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

In Europe 'elk' = moose. (In Swedish they're called älg if I remember right.)

They don't have the animals we call 'elk' over there.

cawimmer430

They should have tested a Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Now there's a track performance machine!  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

When you drive a 5,000+ lb SUV, you dont swerve around a moose, you drive through it ... -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2012, 10:07:42 AM
In Europe 'elk' = moose. (In Swedish they're called ?lg if I remember right.)

Yes.

Impressive!
Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on July 14, 2012, 08:26:29 AM
When you drive a 5,000+ lb SUV, you dont swerve around a moose, you drive through it ... -shrug-

I don't know.  Moose are a lot bigger than deer.  And they're tall enough that even in an SUV, their body is likely high enough up to go over the hood and through the windshield (which is pretty much instant death for the driver and front passenger).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2012, 10:07:42 AM
In Europe 'elk' = moose. (In Swedish they're called ?lg if I remember right.)

We don't have your Elk over here. But your elk is refereed to as Wapiti here. Ironically the world wapiti comes from N. America. Some Indian tribe language.

r0tor

Oops this is a diesel plus 1,300 pounds... thats more like close to 7000 lbs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Still. I would swerve for a moose in 4x4 1 ton mega cab pickup with a grill guard, full load and an 8000 lb trailer. Moose are fucking huge. Without a really sturdy grill guard, I would probably swerve for a deer in the same truck (does depend some on the road). Deer also do serious damage, though they aren't likely to go through the windshield of a huge truck.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Quote from: Galaxy on July 14, 2012, 10:24:39 AM
We don't have your Elk over here. But your elk is refereed to as Wapiti here. Ironically the world wapiti comes from N. America. Some Indian tribe language.

So is the word moose. They're both from Cree, if I remember right.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on July 15, 2012, 12:37:35 AM
So is the word moose. They're both from Cree, if I remember right.

The origin of the word moose is debated somewhat. soem say its from a shortened Cree phrase for "he strips" (referring to bark, and probably the result of some miscommunication), and some say its shortened from the latin word "animus" meaning the strong one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

No, you most certainly do not. Owing to the moose's leg height, you clear out the legs and ~1,200 lb+ slams into your windshield at the indicated velocity and you die if not get seriously/critically injured if you're doing any sort of meaningful velocity. The windshield and A-pillars aren't designed for that sort of impact.

SVT_Power

Sure if you have a death wish

From a paper from the SWEDISH NATIONAL ROAD AND TRANSPORT RESEARCH INSTITUTE

"Four out of five who die after colliding with game in Sweden have hit a moose. The moose appears suddenly and unexpectedly, the driver has little chance to swerve or even break. The long legs of the moose catch the bumper and knock the heavy animal over the bonnet and into the windscreen. What happens next depends mainly on the make of the car and the impact speed.

The typical moose accident where someone dies or is seriously injured occurs at a public road with the speed limit 90 km/h. The driver is more often than in other accidents sober but has little or no time to react. Primarily the head, neck, chest and arms get injured, both by the moose and intruding parts from the roof and windscreen. A cloud of shattered glass both from the windscreen and side-windows hits the car occupants. Since the moose often penetrates well into the coupe and in addition crushes the roof and windshield towards the occupants, seat belt and airbag make only a marginal improvement, if any. The important factors for the outcome of the accident are the strength and design of the front of the vehicle above the bonnet."
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

Some of the vehicles I'd feel comfortable hitting a moose with:

Otherwise, I'm swerving.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hotrodalex

r0tor

Nothing weighing 7000lbs is going to be able to swerve or stop all that well...

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2012, 05:29:59 AM
Nothing weighing 7000lbs is going to be able to swerve or stop all that well...

Honestly if I had to choose, I'd swerve and roll rather than hit a moose at speed. I don't have numbers, but I'm pretty sure your chances of survival are higher with a rollover.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Lebowski

:nutty:

Do you not know what a moose is?

r0tor

Secret Chimp

Video:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/

When the JGC is loaded to Chrysler's specs, it keeps blowing its front left tire.

To spec or not, its suspension behavior is pretty strange compared to the VW and Volvo they show running the same test. You can see how the chassis loads up in the initial turn, then the whole thing practically rebounds itself onto two wheels. Why is it so bouncy? It looks like something my old Dodge would do if I threw on giant torsion bars without changing the shocks.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

CJ

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2012, 10:01:46 AM
Yea I do... I've seen them... And eaten them...

You must not have eaten the bones, though. Those are the parts you don't want to hit.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 16, 2012, 11:05:15 AM
Video:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/

When the JGC is loaded to Chrysler's specs, it keeps blowing its front left tire.

To spec or not, its suspension behavior is pretty strange compared to the VW and Volvo they show running the same test. You can see how the chassis loads up in the initial turn, then the whole thing practically rebounds itself onto two wheels. Why is it so bouncy? It looks like something my old Dodge would do if I threw on giant torsion bars without changing the shocks.

Bouncy as fuck.  The other cars are planted and look relatively un-stressed.  The "yeep" is just out of control.

mzziaz

Damn, the Swedes are fucking Chrysler over pretty good.

Payback for that press release, methinks :lol:

This will hurt sales significantly, at least in Scandinavia.
Cuore Sportivo