New model Mazda 6

Started by nickdrinkwater, July 26, 2012, 05:31:02 AM

nickdrinkwater

Just seen these pictures on autocar.co.uk:

Looks better than the outgoing model. 

QuoteThe new 6 follows the CX-5 crossover in ushering in Mazda?s new SkyActiv technology. It is based on a lightweight new modular chassis that can underpin anything from a Mazda 3 family hatchback to a Mazda CX-9 full-size SUV in size.

Two new SkyActiv engines introduced on the CX-5 will be offered with the 6. The Moscow show car will be fitted with the firm?s 162bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine, mated to a new six-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed manual will also be offered for production.

Of most interest to UK buyers will be the 148bhp and 173bhp versions of the latest 2.2-litre turbodiesel, which will be offered with both automatic and manual transmissions.

FoMoJo

Very nice.  Subtle changes make the back end look better.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Atomic

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 26, 2012, 07:21:08 AM
Very nice.  Subtle changes make the back end look better.

Yes. I agree. This is something hard to achieve, IMO, but Mazda pulled it off. Honda has a bigger gamble with the Accord... Well, maybe not. Mazda needed to take a risk and they did. Overdone? No. They found the perfect balance. I brought up the Accord because Honda will sell them in droves regardless, I think. The Mazda6 needed to grab some much needed attention without looking hideous. Put this on the shopping list  :praise:

hotrodalex

Best looking mid-size sedan, for sure.

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 26, 2012, 08:54:30 AM
Best looking mid-size sedan, for sure.

A few years ago, I would have disagreed, but considering how bad the new Passat looks and how good this looks, I'll agree. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Best looking mainstream sedans (in no particular order):  Fusion, Mazda6, and Optima

Speed_Racer

Lovin' their new design language. Good riddance goofy-faced Mazdas.

280Z Turbo

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on July 26, 2012, 01:42:59 PM
Best looking mainstream sedans (in no particular order):  Fusion, Mazda6, and Optima
I agree with this. I think the Fusion and Mazda look the best overall but would need to see them next to one another to pick.

SVT_Power

You guys actually like this thing?  :confused:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

r0tor

This design language would have transferred over to a new rx8 generation so nicely.... Makes me cry on the inside its not happening
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 26, 2012, 02:52:37 PM
I have no need for it. But it looks darn good for what it is.

Quote from: r0tor on July 26, 2012, 02:53:10 PM
This design language would have transferred over to a new rx8 generation so nicely.... Makes me cry on the inside its not happening
Never give up hope.

TurboDan

What about it do you dislike? I think it's a very pleasing design.

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on July 26, 2012, 02:53:10 PM

If the facelifted MX-5 looks like this... :wub:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

From the pictures, it's almost a perfectly clean and simple design. Everything flows nicely and is pleasing to the eye. What's not to like about it?

SVT666

Not crazy about the smoked taillights, but I don't hate it.  The clear things on Nissans are much worse.

BENZ BOY15

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on July 26, 2012, 11:08:31 PM
Not crazy about the smoked taillights, but I don't hate it.  The clear things on Nissans are much worse.

I wonder if they are on all trim levels or like some Dodge cars standard only on special versions (i.e., R/T series, SRT models). Also, cars typically look far better in person and in certain colors.

Yawn

Now hows the interior.....

MX793

Looks great.  I hope they apply similar design language to the 3 (and do so quickly).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: Yawn on July 27, 2012, 08:17:03 PM
Now hows the interior.....

Hopefully, as nice... And sportier than that of the more "grown up" 2013 Nissan Altima... I do not dislike the 13MY Altima, it's just less of what I prefer in a sedan of its size.

Char

Mazda and Toyota are easily becoming my favorite Japanese automakers. Now if we could figure out a way for Honda and Nissan to donate some powertrains, we'd be in business.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Payman

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 02:45:41 PM
Mazda and Toyota are easily becoming my favorite Japanese automakers. Now if we could figure out a way for Honda and Nissan to donate some powertrains, we'd be in business.

What's wrong with Mazda and Toyota powertrains?

Atomic

Quote from: Char on August 13, 2012, 02:45:41 PM

The 2013 model year will offer one of the best lineups of mid-size and intermediate cars in ages, IMO. Shortly thereafter, larger cars (full size sedans) will be added to the mix. All expected to demonstrate increased gas mileage. Not all cars I would consider for wanting something more upscale (just preference) but there promises to be a great selection for most tastes, I would think.

I do not know what to expect of the new more family oriented Nissan Altima for MY13. I think it will meet the company's lofty sales goals, but many are scued in light of large fleet deliveries anticipated by Nissan -- admittingly so to boost volume and market share and aiming at Toyota and bragging rights against the new Honda Accord and Toyota. All this competition should keep things in check and deals coming from all directions.

The 2013 Ford Fusion should be even more popular than the outgoing one, especially with its more upscale appearance. I am liking the new Chevrolet Malibu far more seeing them on the roads after not caring for it quite as much seeing it on display when it first debuted in NYC in 2011, along with the revised '13 Taurus at the FMC display. This past show in New York, we saw the all new for MY14 Chevy Impala, looking like a cross between a new Malibu and the 2013 Cadillac XTS.

With two really good cars anticipated to survive the test of time (as in quality, reliability and resale value), the new Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Maibu, I think there will be more cross shopping between the new Malibu and '14 Impala and the new 2013 Fusion and Turaus despite the size difference. Price will obviously be a factor, thinking there may not be an enormous difference -- but no telling this early on without final figures released on each of the models, I doubt. We shall see.

The Mazda6 for 2014: Stunning! I always so the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima as being pretty similar as far as offering a lot of sports appeal. Now, it appears as the Mazda being sportier. Yes. It should be a great year or so in these categories.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on August 13, 2012, 03:49:28 PM
What's wrong with Mazda and Toyota powertrains?

Mazda's lagging in V6 and larger engines (they had been relying on Ford for those).  Toyota's 4 cylinders are weak, but their V6s and 8s are very good.  Honestly, I think Honda's powertrains have stagnated horribly.  Outside of the S2000's F20 and F22 motors, they really haven't done much that's noteworthy since the turn of the century.  Good engines, but nothing standout.  And Nissan's almost a 1-trick pony when it comes to engines.  The latest VK V8 is good, but otherwise they're all about the long-in-the-tooth VQ V6 (and its offshoots like the VR in the GT-R).  Their current 4 cylinders, at least what they offer in North America, are thoroughly mediocre.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Is there anyone really making "thrilling" mainstream 4 bangers anymore?

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on August 14, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
Mazda's lagging in V6 and larger engines (they had been relying on Ford for those).  Toyota's 4 cylinders are weak, but their V6s and 8s are very good.  Honestly, I think Honda's powertrains have stagnated horribly.  Outside of the S2000's K20 and K22 motors, they really haven't done much that's noteworthy since the turn of the century.  Good engines, but nothing standout.  And Nissan's almost a 1-trick pony when it comes to engines.  The latest VK V8 is good, but otherwise they're all about the long-in-the-tooth VQ V6 (and its offshoots like the VR in the GT-R).  They're current 4 cylinders, at least what they offer in North America, are thoroughly mediocre.

Honda's new engines are being introduced with the MY13 Accord. With so much news coming out all at once with the intro's from nearly every manufacturer, I cannot recall all of the upgrades, aside from Honda's promise of more power and improved MPG's. There will be new fours, a new V6 and at least one Hybrid, plus CVT's, 6 speed manual and automatic transmission appearing on various models of the Accord.