2o6 Review - Chevrolet Spark

Started by 2o6, July 30, 2012, 01:10:45 PM

2o6

As you guys know, I am a huge fan of small hatchbacks. When companies like Fiat, Toyota and Chevrolet announced they were bringing their smaall city cars to the US, I could not help but get excited. Spark looks to ace everything on paper; low price, good economy and (finally) good quality. Does it, though in the real world?

Styling - I was never a huge fan of the huge headlights, and many of you guys expressed the large disdain overall over the stylistic execution of this car in particular. Although I too never really cared for the large headlights, in this particular instance, the car looks 100% better in person than pictures. The scale of the front fascia is a bit awkward, but it actually works here. It adds a super cute factor that really adds to the look of the car. Our model has actually gotten a facelift for our market specifically (not sure if other markets will get this) and it really makes the car look more upscale, compared to the Spark/Beat/Matiz Creative that other markets get. Instead of it looking like a budget model meant to undercut more established rivals, it now looks like something that someone would like to own. It looks like the 'smallest Chevy' instead of the 'cheapest chevy'

Inside, the materials are cheaper than Sonic and Cruze, but it still manages to look pretty acceptable. I think a darker grey would make it look a bit more expensive. Everything is pretty well laid out and easy to reach, and the body-colored interior accents add a nice splash of color to the interior.

I don't like the digital gauge cluster, though. Hard to read, and it's annoying. The one in the Sonic is better executed; the revs should be analog and the speedo should be digital. With the setup the gauges have now, it's hard to tell how fast you're going and how fast the engine is spinning.

Interior room is simply superb. The Spark is a narrower car than Cruze and Aveo, but legroom honestly gives both cars a run for their money. Front legroom is very, very, very capacious. Footwells are actually very deep, and the car can accommodate numerous taller drivers. The rear seat is better than some cars in the slightly larger subcompact class (Fiesta). The rear seat is very nice; especially considering the spark is only 143" long; around 10" shorter than a Yaris 3-door. The car is narrower, though so the bench (although in some markets it fits three) is really only fit for two. Then again, I think they could have squeezed a 3rd seatbelt in the middle without too much protest. The rear floor is flat, and I think three people may fit back there with little protest.

Trunk is small, though.

-------------

On the road, the car is actually quite refined, for the most part. The 1.2L when mated to the 4AT is naturally fairly sluggish, but it has really good in town pickup. The motor itself isn't very good, though. It's noisy, rough and lazy. The 1.4L in the Fiat 500 is really lively; it's eager to rev and pull. The 1.5L in the Mazda2 is similar. The 1.2L in the Spark isn't all that great. I think the 1.4L from the Cruze/Sonic (minus the turbo) would be a better fit for this car, because it's actually really fun to drive. I will have to drive a standard shift model to see how it does.

The steering is a little too light for my tastes, but it's easy to point and manouver. It's responsive and easy to use, but it doesn't have that much feel. In the city, this car is going to be really easy to manouver; the turning circle is extremely tiny, it's fairly decent to see out of.

The suspension is really, really, really nice. Out of the Cruze and Sonic, I really prefer the Spark. It isolates bumps really well, but it actually goes around corners without feeling like an old Buick. It's actually very fun to drive. Reminds me of the Fiat 500, but more practical.

All in all, it's a pretty nice vehicle. I think it's actually a bit better executed than the Sonic, and with the amount of space and equipment the Spark offers, I think the Sonic will be a bit in trouble. Granted, the Sonic is "more car" and has bigger car manners on road, the Spark hits hard upon the value front. I liked it. I could see myself driving one after I finish off Yaris.

EDITED FOR AMOUNT OF THE WORD "REALLY"

giant_mtb

Raza

That is a seriously hideous car.  You'd have to pay me to be seen in one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27830.msg1756323#msg1756323 date=1343676110
That is a seriously hideous car.  You'd have to pay me to be seen in one.

It's really cute in person.

Colin

I'll be fascinated to see how well the Spark does in the US.

It has not been a success in Europe. 

2o6

Quote from: Colin on July 30, 2012, 01:23:41 PM
I'll be fascinated to see how well the Spark does in the US.

It has not been a success in Europe. 

At 12,995, this car hits very hard on the value front.

I thought the Spark was doing decently in most countries in Europe?

Colin

You rarely see them on the roads of the UK, whereas the Matiz is still quite a common sight. As the price has gone up from absolute bargain basement, so the value card is not quite so strong, and the Spark faces significant competition from the C1/107/Ayo trio, entry level Ka and 500, and especially the Picanto and i10. Against the last 2 it does not stand a chance as they are much "better" cars.

2o6

Well, we have none of those so the Spark is pretty much alone. Fiat 500 is less practical.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27830.msg1756341#msg1756341 date=1343678304
Somehow I doubt that.

I think it looks very awkward in pictures, but the styling really does look a lot better in person.

cawimmer430

Nice review.  :mrcool:

But you forgot to tell us your estimate of its N?rburgring lap time. We enthusiasts need to know these things remember?  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on July 30, 2012, 01:54:32 PM
Well, we have none of those so the Spark is pretty much alone. Fiat 500 is less practical.

I would think that the Fiat 500 is far more expensive and upscale, too. Perhaps its just Fiat's incredibly convincing marketing (whether perception or reality). Any price comparisons of similar equipped Spark's and 500's?

Yes, a great review, as Wimmer points out, 2o6!

2o6

Quote from: Atomic on July 30, 2012, 03:30:31 PM
I would think that the Fiat 500 is far more expensive and upscale, too. Perhaps its just Fiat's incredibly convincing marketing (whether perception or reality). Any price comparisons of similar equipped Spark's and 500's?

Yes, a great review, as Wimmer points out, 2o6!

The Fiat 500 is slightly nicer inside. A 1LT 5-speed Spark is equipped virtually identically to a base Fiat 500 "Pop". Although the Fiat is slightly nicer inside, and a little bit faster, it's still smaller inside and entry price is higher.

An LS spark is cheaper option; has pretty much the same stuff as the 1LT, but no cruise and it doesn't have the fancier stereo and a couple other things.

I really liked the Spark. I could see myself owning one in a few years. It does a lot of things well, and it feels a bit more "honest". I find that a lot of modern cars feel rather disconnected to the road.

------------

Also, our car has had quite a few changes from the rest of the world.

Our 1.2L has been bored a little, and now produces 85HP (compared to 81)

Our power steering is now electric.

I think our interior has had an upgrade and restyling

Our suspension is tuned differently, I think.

68_427

Kinda like how it looks.  Just wish it had a more Sonic like front end
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on July 30, 2012, 08:04:58 PM
Kinda like how it looks.  Just wish it had a more Sonic like front end

I wish it had a different engine. It's a really nice car, and shows people that cars this small needen't be a penalty box.

There was a lady ahead of me who was looking for a MT shift model. Then, a man with his elderly mother pulled up. I think he was looking at one for her.

AutobahnSHO

looks to have more crumple zone than a Smartcar I guess...   :huh:
Will

giant_mtb

I think they look pretty alright in person.

EDIT: Scratch that.  I've seen a Sonic in person, not a Spark (yet).

TurboDan

It looks kinda the same as the rest of the cars in that segment. I don't think it looks particularly better or worse than any of them.

The touch screen looks nice. Without it I think the interior would look like crap, but the screen saves it. How are the plastics?

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 30, 2012, 07:53:29 PM
Our 1.2L has been bored a little, and now produces 85HP (compared to 81)

I always wonder why car manufacturers do this. It's not like a 4-horsepower increase does anything worthwhile to the car in terms of performance and fuel economy, the former which is irrelevant in such a car and the latter which is more of a priority for the people buying these.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

It doesn't look better in person, it looks like shit

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2012, 02:14:47 AM
I always wonder why car manufacturers do this. It's not like a 4-horsepower increase does anything worthwhile to the car in terms of performance and fuel economy, the former which is irrelevant in such a car and the latter which is more of a priority for the people buying these.

It's nearly a 5 percent improvement, or the equivalent of changing from 300 to 315 horsepower. And this car probably needs every extra horsie it can get.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

One must remember what this car is and how it is being marketed by Chevy. I would imagine the bulk of customers it is likely to attract will use this car for purely city driving and not highway cruising. Sounds like you get a pretty decent high mileage car with excellent maneuverability without paying the development fees and costly battery of a hybrid. It would be interesting to find out the average number of cars the typical buyer owns while also seeing what percentage of drivers the vehicle will serve as a used car alternative for some and the very first brand new car for others.

Colin

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 31, 2012, 04:53:11 AM
It doesn't look better in person, it looks like shit
Agreed.... which is one reason why it has tanked in Europe.... it is no longer so much cheaper than rivals like the Matiz used to be, so people are voting with their wallets to get something which is in almost all respects "better".

2o6

Quote from: Colin on August 01, 2012, 07:05:54 AM
Agreed.... which is one reason why it has tanked in Europe.... it is no longer so much cheaper than rivals like the Matiz used to be, so people are voting with their wallets to get something which is in almost all respects "better".

I think the changes for our market go a long way to making the car look better. Our interior is nicer, too.

Also, Chevy dealer I went to for the drive says there already is marked interest for this model.

I thought it was on par in most respects to the base 500 I drove.

cawimmer430

So in the new Auto Monat magazine it says we're going to get the new Chevrolet Impala in Europe with one or two diesel engine options.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2012, 01:58:24 PM
Somehow I doubt that.

:lol:

Quote from: 2o6 on July 30, 2012, 02:02:16 PM
I think it looks very awkward in pictures, but the styling really does look a lot better in person.

Not really. But to each his own, I guess.

I think those headlights are ridiculous.

TBR

Quote from: Atomic on July 31, 2012, 12:18:01 PM
One must remember what this car is and how it is being marketed by Chevy. I would imagine the bulk of customers it is likely to attract will use this car for purely city driving and not highway cruising. Sounds like you get a pretty decent high mileage car with excellent maneuverability without paying the development fees and costly battery of a hybrid. It would be interesting to find out the average number of cars the typical buyer owns while also seeing what percentage of drivers the vehicle will serve as a used car alternative for some and the very first brand new car for others.

I disagree. Most of the US just isn't built like that. Driving in a city does mean driving on a highway. Very few people don't drive on freeways without some regularity, regardless of where they live.