Audio thump question

Started by AutobahnSHO, August 09, 2012, 07:22:24 PM

AutobahnSHO

So I miss the thump in my Subie when I'm in the Miata- I have a 12" woofer with amp in the back.

Looking around online for Miata solutions, some guy hacked the car all up to put woofers behind the seats. Wife says put my Subie setup into the Miata, but the trunk is totally closed off and a firewall/gastank would block any sound from getting to the passenger compartment.

For $200 there are superslim woofer/amp combos, but at 3" thick I really highly doubt they'd fit below the seats so would have to sit behind the passenger seat. (I have mine pretty much all the way back.)

But I'm also wondering about just hiding a 6 1/4" with decent enclosure under the passenger dash (remove airbag computer since it doesn't work anyway?)

And why is it we need such big woofers anyway? My living room stereo is a bookshelf system with 5" woofers, plenty loud and thumpy, although not as deep as the Subaru. My familyroom has a Bluray/all in one surround system, again a 5" woofer with a decent size box and it rumbles pretty good. I wonder if there's a way to take a small speaer and build a duct system coiled under a seat or something??

(in fact, trumpets and frenchhorns greatly amplify the buzzing of ones' lips to make a pretty loud sound...)
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

How much room is between the seats? That's where mine is, against the back "wall". Obviously it's a different car, but same idea.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

ACTUALLY,

I am very pleased with the exhaust. It is low without rasp or the fartcannon-crap. It's not loud or annoying while just cruising, in fact it's a little more tame than most people would like. But I love it.

My in-laws bought a Miata just a couple months before I got mine. Theirs is also pre-1994, red, with 160k miles on it. I drove it a little while on vacation, they had some kind of rattle and the tone was a little higher pitched. It made me appreciate mine all the more when I got home.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2012, 08:21:05 PM
How much room is between the seats? That's where mine is, against the back "wall". Obviously it's a different car, but same idea.

None. There's a console and just a few inches of firewall.

Searching for pics gave me some ideas of interior work (someday if I still have the car and more time)

--My seats are all the way back.

--I don't have rollbars, and it LOOKS like there's room under the seats but there is a metal plate under them. I might see if that's removable..

--The top tan piece above the seats is an optional bag. I don't have one, also don't have the cover over the softtop. (mine's just naked behind the rear deck). I almost consider getting some 6.25" speakers with boxes, but it would attract theft just sitting there. I considering a bazooka tube ina bag for concealment, with some way to permanently attach it down, but I dunno.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I was also going to suggest a bazooka tube. Not sure how else you can do it.

hotrodalex

Woofer in the steering wheel.

AutobahnSHO

I just worry about theft of anything sitting in the open. But the trunkis just tiny as it is, and actually put stuff in it.

HA found a better picture in my own flickr...

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2012, 08:39:02 PM
Woofer in the steering wheel.

:lol:

Not a terrible idea though! lotta work, I'm not an audio engineer..
Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW have to wake up in 6hrs and just looking at pictures of car I want to go out driving. I haven't had this much fun since I was like 16yrs old. SHO is a very close 2nd though.
Will

VTEC_Inside

Id just get some decent speakers to replace the stockers, but still run them off an amp, deck power is just meh.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

hotrodalex

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 09, 2012, 08:53:57 PM
Id just get some decent speakers to replace the stockers, but still run them off an amp, deck power is just meh.

A decent pair of 6.5"s with an amp should be enough in a Miata. Not anywhere close to a subwoofer's thump, but much better than stock.

AutobahnSHO

Will

hotrodalex

What size are the stock units?

Rupert

+ pedro

Also, best options if you really need a subwoofer are trunk (bass carries) or velcroed to the parcel shelf. Pretty hard to conceal anything on the parcel shelf. Like others were saying, I would just get the best possible speakers for the doors, add an amp, and then the best possible speakers for the headrests (Clearwater makes/made the standard, I have no experience with them).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

If you want thump, you need a resonance box... especially in a convertible where you can't make the in tire car interior a resonance chamber.  Do a search and you should be able to find the volume of box needed to be made for a select speaker...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 09, 2012, 08:49:07 PM
I just worry about theft of anything sitting in the open. But the trunkis just tiny as it is, and actually put stuff in it.

HA found a better picture in my own flickr...

Could you custom-mount a couple 8" or 10" subs on top of that parcel shelf behind the seats? 

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 10, 2012, 09:47:41 AM
Could you custom-mount a couple 8" or 10" subs on top of that parcel shelf behind the seats? 
Probably not a great idea for security if he ever leaves the top down...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

As if a convertible was ever a good security idea...?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 10, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
As if a convertible was ever a good security idea...?
Yeah, but it's not like he should go ahead and bolt some expensive subs in plain view even with the top and windows up. :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

He could probably figure out how it make them look less expensive. Point the speakers back instead of up, cover with speaker cloth, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on August 10, 2012, 08:09:51 PM
Yeah, but it's not like he should go ahead and bolt some expensive subs in plain view even with the top and windows up. :facepalm:

AutobahnSHO

Guy custom installed 2 8" woofers in the back deck. http://www.miata.net/hakuna/subspeak.html
Put some thin carpet over them and no one would know..

Seems like it would take a TON of work, and if you didn't get the cavity size right woud be pointless. Seems like just 1 woofer would do it though, my one speaker in the subie sounds the same as the bigger box with 2 speakers (same amp and speakers). Plus I like more bass than my passengers usually.. 

I might consider this one someday..
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Wow, that's a lot of cutting...

Rupert

What about small sub or subs with a thin box that takes up all of the shelf that the roof doesn't use, and then carpet over the speaker(s)? Only someone who knows Miatas would be likely to figure it out.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on August 11, 2012, 02:24:08 AM
What about small sub or subs with a thin box that takes up all of the shelf that the roof doesn't use, and then carpet over the speaker(s)? Only someone who knows Miatas would be likely to figure it out.

Yeah, I don't use that shelf for anything anyway. I'm thinking mount one upside down leaving a small gap under for the sound to come forward.  Almost like the way these work.

http://www.metaefficient.com/audio-equipment/best-subwoofers-under-500.html

Funny most of the woofers on that page are 8" drivers, instead of the massive thumps people buy for their cars.
Will

Rupert

Yeah, pointed down should be fine.

Audiophiles want good sound, not dumbass thumping. :lol: