Took a couple '12 Civics for a drive (EX-L, Si)

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 18, 2012, 10:13:13 PM

VTEC_Inside

Decided to go see how bad they really were. Just going to throw out observations/opinions in no particular order

General:
The car feels more substantial period. Its quieter and smoother. I had no complaints about the steering feel in either.

It seems narrower inside. Its easier to see out the front door mini-window than the previous model.

Oh the interior... Its not as horrible as the reviews would have you believe, but it is definitely a step back. The number of seams in the dash were more noticeable than the shitty material.

In any event the interior is a bit of a let down compared to the improvements made to the rest of the car.

Specifics:
EX-L
The R18 has benefitted from dropping the low load throttle butterfly trick. Not any more powerful flat out, but more responsive when putting around. Illusion is more power.

Steering response is quicker than my gfs '08, even with the Si rear sway on my gfs car.

Si
Well I had low expectations of this and wasnt even going to bother driving one, but I was there so..

Unfortunately it met my expectations almost to a T. This car does not deserve an Si badge, it borders on boring.

The 2.4L is strong for sure but lacking hard in thrill factor. At least they seem to have finally sorted out the 6spd, it worked great without really having to be super careful like my RSX tranny. LSD, oh how I wish my RSX had one, great fun going WOT in the middle of a corner and actually accomplishing something.

Otherwise there was nothing memorable about it.

If the revised interior works out, there will be very little to complain about IMO.

The Si is still dead as an Si, but its still a decent car.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Northlands

I haven't driven the Si yet, but the LX wasn't so bad. I'd still prefer the stick. Honda hasn't messed with their MT's yet and it shifts quite well.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

What about compared to a Chevy Cruze? Or a Focus?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 2o6 on August 18, 2012, 10:36:43 PM
What about compared to a Chevy Cruze? Or a Focus?

Havent driven a Cruze, but I did drive a 5dr Focus Titanium a couple months back.

The Focus is the sportier feeling car. Its interior is more cohesive IMO. The DSG was a bit strange though. Some pleasing aspects for a manual lover like myself, but I was a bit uneasy thinking of its long term durability.

The thing about the Focus is that it is def a smaller car. Combine that with the 30k price tag vs 25k for the EX-L we drove and it could be a tough decision. Id almost say you cant really compare those two.

Atomic

Quote from: Northlands on August 18, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
I haven't driven the Si yet, but the LX wasn't so bad. I'd still prefer the stick. Honda hasn't messed with their MT's yet and it shifts quite well.

Same here, have only driven the EX sedan. I have nothing to complain about other than I loved the generation before it -- inside and out. The latest model looks frumpy in comparision, IMO. The cloth seats on the new 2012 EX and LX (sat in several) are actually great. The dash board panel could use smoothing over, but I am biases as my mothers 2010 EX has a nicer dash, I think.

sportyaccordy

They didnt have to kill the K20. They could have split the difference with a high revving K22 with actual DOHC VTEC. Read up on what they did to the cylinder head, its a fuckign travesty.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 20, 2012, 06:02:09 PM
They didnt have to kill the K20. They could have split the difference with a high revving K22 with actual DOHC VTEC. Read up on what they did to the cylinder head, its a fuckign travesty.

Couldn't agree more. I cant recall the race series, but they were already allowing teams using the Si to do head swaps on account of the new one sucking so hard.

280Z Turbo

Honda is becoming the new Toyota. I guess there's no money for fun nowadays.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 20, 2012, 09:24:32 PM
Honda is becoming the new Toyota. I guess there's no money for fun nowadays.

I hear those crazy young whippersnappers are buying BRZs like ya wouldn't believe. ;)

SVT666

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on August 22, 2012, 12:35:31 AM
Man, Jesus is small.

Whoever did that Photoshop didn't pay attention to proportional size.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.