Rustproofing?

Started by 2o6, August 25, 2012, 11:52:33 PM

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Onslaught on August 28, 2012, 04:21:26 PM
It's true that modern cars don't rust like they did years ago. But they still rust and working on rusted up cars sucks ass. I hate you're northern cars with a passion!!!!

The worst about northern cars isn't so much the body rust. It's when the salt mist gets everywhere and corrodes the nuts and bolts.

I dreaded working on the MR2 because no matter what I was doing, it ALWAYS ended up with bolts snapping and me spending 5x longer than expected extracting bolts and such.

I love the Trooper because it has no rust and bolts loosen so easily. Such a luxury!!

Onslaught

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 28, 2012, 11:21:40 PM
The worst about northern cars isn't so much the body rust. It's when the salt mist gets everywhere and corrodes the nuts and bolts.

I dreaded working on the MR2 because no matter what I was doing, it ALWAYS ended up with bolts snapping and me spending 5x longer than expected extracting bolts and such.

I love the Trooper because it has no rust and bolts loosen so easily. Such a luxury!!
Trust me, I know. I get paid the same to take something apart if it's free of rust or if it's full of it. Bolts snap, nuts won't come off and it can take a 30 minute job and turn it into a two hour one.

Or you have to weld in a new quarter and it's full of slime that gets all over you and then you've got to try and clean it all out of the car before you can weld the new one in. You can't weld with spunk all over the metal.

NomisR

VTEC_Inside

Plastic bubble off the end of the assembly line works pretty well.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

TurboDan

Quote from: Onslaught on August 28, 2012, 04:21:26 PM
It's true that modern cars don't rust like they did years ago. But they still rust and working on rusted up cars sucks ass. I hate you're northern cars with a passion!!!!

This mid-Atlantic guy uses marine engine protectant on his vehicles. ;)

Soup DeVille

All I know is that removing all of the dealer-installed rustproofing from the Caddy was a nasty, messy job: and I found lots of rust underneath it all anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Truth be told, brand new cars have rust in spots if you start to take them apart. You can never stop rust.

Eye of the Tiger

Stop building cars out of low grade steel. Aluminum forms a tenacious oxide layer when exposes to air. There should be more use of fiberglass and carbon fiber in body panels. But wait, then cars won't rust out and manufacturers won't get to sell you a new one in three years. It's all a scam.
I'm staying out of the rust belt.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Well then the cost of the cars would go up too high. And it you needed it fixed it cost you way more too. Some of that shit you listed is hard to work on.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 02, 2012, 05:22:16 AM
Stop building cars out of low grade steel. Aluminum forms a tenacious oxide layer when exposes to air. There should be more use of fiberglass and carbon fiber in body panels. But wait, then cars won't rust out and manufacturers won't get to sell you a new one in three years. It's all a scam.
I'm staying out of the rust belt.

They've gotten a lot better.

my '84 olds was rusted through in several places by '92 when I bought it: But the Civic was 10 years old when I sold it and not a bit of rust on the surface: the undercarriage wasn't even all that bad.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sparkplug

:mrcool: get a car made from aluminum... it won't rust... how about a corvette zo6....  :mrcool:
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

Front hood and fenders on my WRX are aluminum.  w00t.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Onslaught on August 29, 2012, 04:08:40 AM
Trust me, I know. I get paid the same to take something apart if it's free of rust or if it's full of it. Bolts snap, nuts won't come off and it can take a 30 minute job and turn it into a two hour one.

I remember having to replace the speedo cable on the MR2, which required removing a piece of underbody plastic. All four bolts attaching it to the body snapped. I didn't even bother putting it back in afterwards.