Rustproofing?

Started by 2o6, August 25, 2012, 11:52:33 PM

2o6

My Yaris is a California car, (only been here a year) and I had it on the lift at my job today. I noticed that the undercarrage is pretty much rust-free.

Any good way to keep it like this for awhile? Do those rustproofing sprays actually work?

Eye of the Tiger

I sprayed Accent with Amsoil HD Metal protector. It leaves a nice waxy oil coating that lasts most of a winter.  Of course, now I don't have to worry about it.
Rust proofing can get pretty involved, though, depending how anal you want to be. Drilling holes, removing body panels... meh. Just jack it up and coat all the metal under parts. Wear PPE. Don't hit your brake rotors.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Another thing I like to do is take silicone spray, spray it on a clotch, and
wipe down all the weather stripping. Keep it loobed, keep it from letting wster where
it shouldn't go.

Eye of the Tiger

And don't use a clotch; use a cloth.

Onslaught

If you live in California I don't see why you'll have a rust problem. They don't throw salt down there.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on August 26, 2012, 08:00:12 AM
If you live in California I don't see why you'll have a rust problem. They don't throw salt down there.

Except he lives in Ohio, where they repave the roads with salt every winter.

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 26, 2012, 08:07:18 AM
Except he lives in Ohio, where they repave the roads with salt every winter.
Oh, well you're fucked then. Spray it all you want but it will get into everything and make it rust.

S204STi

3m rubberized undercoating works well.  That's what I use to touch up or improve the factory undercoat.  Oil undercoats... not a fan.

Byteme

Quote from: S204STi on August 26, 2012, 02:22:26 PM
3m rubberized undercoating works well.  That's what I use to touch up or improve the factory undercoat.  Oil undercoats... not a fan.

Poorly applies undercoating has a repitation of traspping moisture and salt and promoting rust.

Keeping the underbody and wheel wells rinsed with fresh water after the salt season will do wonders

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on August 26, 2012, 07:59:01 PM
Poorly applies undercoating has a repitation of traspping moisture and salt and promoting rust.

Keeping the underbody and wheel wells rinsed with fresh water after the salt season will do wonders

That's why I chose to use a temporary, sticky oil coating. It does not require surface prep or masking, and naturally repels water.

Laconian

Jesus is telling you to move to CA.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

Nailed to the cross with rusty nails, and now he has tetanus!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

LOL. Growing up in AZ, I remember a friend's parents old Buick wagon that came from Ohio. I was amazed that the floorboard, quarter panels and lower fenders were fucking rotted away. Cancer for cars! Perfect interior, though! Nice parts vehicle!  :lol:

Onslaught

You're just prolonging the inevitable with this stuff. That salt water will get into every seam on the car and it will rust in places you can't see. Start cutting panels off and you'll see what I'm talking about. I hate nothing more then working on a car from up north.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on August 27, 2012, 11:17:15 AM
You're just prolonging the inevitable with this stuff. That salt water will get into every seam on the car and it will rust in places you can't see. Start cutting panels off and you'll see what I'm talking about. I hate nothing more then working on a car from up north.
I've used Krown on my 01 Escape since new (once a year spray).  So far (12 years), it's been rust free.  Perhaps there's some rust in the interior of the rockers, doors, etc. but, so far, nothing's visible.  When applied the first time, they drill holes in all the places where they can spray the interior of rockers, doors, etc. as well as spraying the the visible parts.  The solution will 'creep' into places where it's the spray is not accessible; it will, also, creep onto the exterior of the panels but a once a week washing will remove that.  They remove the plugs every year and respray everything.  It costs about a $100 per year.  I believe it extends the rust free look of a vehicle a good 5 or 7 years and is well worth it.  Similar products, perhaps not quite as good, are also available in the US.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Onslaught

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 27, 2012, 11:30:28 AM
I've used Krown on my 01 Escape since new (once a year spray).  So far (12 years), it's been rust free.  Perhaps there's some rust in the interior of the rockers, doors, etc. but, so far, nothing's visible.  When applied the first time, they drill holes in all the places where they can spray the interior of rockers, doors, etc. as well as spraying the the visible parts.  The solution will 'creep' into places where it's the spray is not accessible; it will, also, creep onto the exterior of the panels but a once a week washing will remove that.  They remove the plugs every year and respray everything.  It costs about a $100 per year.  I believe it extends the rust free look of a vehicle a good 5 or 7 years and is well worth it.  Similar products, perhaps not quite as good, are also available in the US.
I know all about that stuff. And it still rust in-between the metal where it's welded. I'm not saying it won't help, but it won't stop it either. And the suspension bolts and all that other shit will have much more rust or be locked up compared to cars from the south.

Oh, and with some of the new cars coming out you won't be able to drill holes into the metal to spray that stuff. That high strength steel can't be drilled into without messing it up. And even some of the air bag sensors work by the door panels being pushed in and the air pressure change is what sets off the sensor to the air bag. You can't put bondo on the outside when they get dented or spray rust stuff on the inside of these new doors. With the way cars are going now I doubt in a few years this rust stuff will be used as much as in the past. Or it will cost you WAY more because rather then just drilling a simple hole and putting a plug in it they'll have to take all the interior out to find a place they can spray it in.

S204STi

Quote from: MiataJohn on August 26, 2012, 07:59:01 PM

Since I don't poorly apply anything, I've had no problems. :lol:

But yeah, I also wash the car ASAP after major storms and on a near-weekly basis in the winter (especially the undercarriage) to prevent any issues.

68_427

My mom's Legacy has some sort of rust proofing.  There's some sort of rubbery stuff on the undercarriage, and it's totally rust free after 6 years in Rochester.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

I'd wonder if it's actually "rust free" or if there's just rust starting in the normal places hiding behind the rubber.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 28, 2012, 11:28:24 AM
I'd wonder if it's actually "rust free" or if there's just rust starting in the normal places hiding behind the rubber.

That's what happened under my passenger floorboard in the MR2. The undercoating protected in some places, but trapped moisture in others.

Onslaught

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 28, 2012, 11:28:24 AM
I've seen this before. It also makes it hard to work on things because the bolts are covered with shit. I'm so glad I don't live in the north.

Eye of the Tiger

I remeber going to a carwash in the winter and asking if I could get an extra undercarriage wash, since they were advertising them for free. They said they could only do it once. SO I MOVED TO THE SOUTH.

280Z Turbo

Unless you're a gloom and doom body guy, none of this really matters.  Cars nowadays are pretty well protected, even in Michigan. I can't drive my Datsun in the snow, but a new car should go 10-15.years without showing rust on shiny surfaces. If the bottom rusts a bit, so what? I've got some PB blaster, an impact gun, and a torch.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 28, 2012, 03:44:54 PM
Unless you're a gloom and doom body guy, none of this really matters.  Cars nowadays are pretty well protected, even in Michigan. I can't drive my Datsun in the snow, but a new car should go 10-15.years without showing rust on shiny surfaces. If the bottom rusts a bit, so what? I've got some PB blaster, an impact gun, and a torch.

Onslaught: "gloom and doom body guy"

:lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 28, 2012, 03:44:54 PM
It's true that modern cars don't rust like they did years ago. But they still rust and working on rusted up cars sucks ass. I hate you're northern cars with a passion!!!!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 28, 2012, 03:58:52 PM
Onslaught: "gloom and doom body guy"

He is!

GODDAMMIT I HATE NEW CARS SO MUCH THE BEST DAYS ARE BEHIND US

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 28, 2012, 04:46:34 PM
He is!

GODDAMMIT I HATE NEW CARS SO MUCH THE BEST DAYS ARE BEHIND US
No, I just hate you norther people and your cars.  :lol:

J86

Quote from: Rupert on August 27, 2012, 12:41:02 AM
Nailed to the cross with rusty nails, and now he has tetanus!