Spotting new police cars.

Started by Mustangfan2003, August 26, 2012, 07:26:34 PM

Mustangfan2003

With the departure of the Crown Vic it's going to be harder for us with a lead foot.  The other day I was driving to work and I was doing about 70ish in a 65.  Ahead of me I see a grey Tahoe ahead of me and noticed something on the roof.  I slow down and notice it's a light bar and it's a state trooper so I slow down.  A little bit later this SUV doing about 80 passes me and the trooper.  Needless to say they got pulled over.   

GoCougs

What I see: marked (but no lights) Tahoes and Silverados. Seen lots of unmarked Impalas. Seen a few totally off-the-wall unmarked cars (Volvo S80, F150 w/canopy, etc.).

Blending with traffic to pick out the legitimately serious offenses (impeding traffic, aggressive driving, tail gating, DUI, drowsy drivers, distracted drivers) is a good moral, rational and effective enforcement. However, a lot of what will happen unfortunately is BS like pulling someone over for 80 in a 65.

dazzleman

70ish in a 65 isn't really fast.  Have you ever been pulled over?

My town has new police cars that aren't Crown Vics.  I haven't gotten a close enough look yet to see what they are.  I need to find out.

I am seeing some unconventional police cars these days, especially SUVs.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 26, 2012, 07:43:38 PM
What I see: marked (but no lights) Tahoes and Silverados. Seen lots of unmarked Impalas. Seen a few totally off-the-wall unmarked cars (Volvo S80, F150 w/canopy, etc.).

Blending with traffic to pick out the legitimately serious offenses (impeding traffic, aggressive driving, tail gating, DUI, drowsy drivers, distracted drivers) is a good moral, rational and effective enforcement. However, a lot of what will happen unfortunately is BS like pulling someone over for 80 in a 65.

Dude, refesh my memory.  How fast were you going, and how much over the speed limit, when you got your ticket?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

BimmerM3

During the summer in Atlanta, we get a lot of motorcycle cops clocking on the highway. They're not hard to spot in traffic, but they can hide around corners pretty well, especially if I'm in the left lane and there are a lot of cars between myself and the shoulder. Luckily, 75 in a 55 is pretty common in Atlanta, so they generally only pull over people going 80+ and love when people go 85 because of Georgia's Super Speeder law that increases fines on tickets over 85mph.

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 26, 2012, 07:50:30 PM
During the summer in Atlanta, we get a lot of motorcycle cops clocking on the highway. They're not hard to spot in traffic, but they can hide around corners pretty well, especially if I'm in the left lane and there are a lot of cars between myself and the shoulder. Luckily, 75 in a 55 is pretty common in Atlanta, so they generally only pull over people going 80+ and love when people go 85 because of Georgia's Super Speeder law that increases fines on tickets over 85mph.

Yeah, you'd get run over actually going the speed limit on most Atlanta freeways. Dallas, in contrast, runs really slow. If I'm going 5 mph over then I tend to be one of the faster cars on the road.

The new cars aren't my problem, it's those damn low profile light bars.

Mustangfan2003

The last city I lived in replaced all their Harleys with BMWs.  

cawimmer430

What's going to happen to all those Crown Victoria's out of service? Will they be sold to private buyers or scrapped en masse!?  :mask:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 27, 2012, 04:23:23 AM
What's going to happen to all those Crown Victoria's out of service? Will they be sold to private buyers or scrapped en masse!?  :mask:

When they can no longer be used as police cars, they are either downgraded to cars for use by other government agencies (less demanding driving), or sold.

You should try to buy one.  It would be an object of great sexual gratification for you..... :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on August 27, 2012, 05:06:11 AM
When they can no longer be used as police cars, they are either downgraded to cars for use by other government agencies (less demanding driving), or sold.

You should try to buy one.  It would be an object of great sexual gratification for you..... :lol:

I would love to have one. Seriously.  :mrcool:

It would have been awesome if they had made a wagon version just like in the '80s.  :praise:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

In my area some get sold to smaller police departments, some go up for auction, or some will just be driven until it dies.  I have seen a black and white crown vic used as a taxi around town.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 27, 2012, 07:35:38 AM
I would love to have one. Seriously.  :mrcool:

It would have been awesome if they had made a wagon version just like in the '80s.  :praise:

We had one of those. Gold without wood. GINORMOUS.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on August 26, 2012, 07:45:32 PM
Dude, refesh my memory.  How fast were you going, and how much over the speed limit, when you got your ticket?

Not sure how fast I was going; he said he got the car in front of me at 70 in a 55 "and saw me behind her."

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 27, 2012, 09:10:22 PM
Not sure how fast I was going; he said he got the car in front of me at 70 in a 55 "and saw me behind her."

Did he pull her over too?

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 27, 2012, 08:51:14 PM
We had one of those. Gold without wood. GINORMOUS.

They're awesome. Typical 1980s movies cop car (in sedan form). Lovely car. I love the boxy styling of these babies.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 28, 2012, 07:48:11 AM
They're awesome. Typical 1980s movies cop car (in sedan form). Lovely car. I love the boxy styling of these babies.

The rear window was the only power window I'd seen as a young kid, and once it was down you could lay the tailgate down truckstyle OR swing it open- it was like 5ft wide...    :lol:
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 27, 2012, 04:23:23 AM
There is a group of young guys here that all drive retired CVs with big ass rims! They all have CV Boys on the rear windows.........  :facepalm:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 28, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
The rear window was the only power window I'd seen as a young kid, and once it was down you could lay the tailgate down truckstyle OR swing it open- it was like 5ft wide...    :lol:

I always admired that aspect about those old American wagons. You can open the rear gate from the left, right, top or bottom and have the window glide down electrically. Talk about "practicality overkill". :lol:

Try doing that on a modern boring and characterless SUV!  :winkguy:  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on August 28, 2012, 09:52:33 PM
There is a group of young guys here that all drive retired CVs with big ass rims! They all have CV Boys on the rear windows.........  :facepalm:

I wish I could be part of that group - sans the bling, tuning and stickaz. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 30, 2012, 03:02:42 AM
I wish I could be part of that group - sans the bling, tuning and stickaz. :lol:

Move to America, the land of the free, where people are allowed to buy cars without the express written consent of some government fuck. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on August 30, 2012, 09:49:21 AM
Move to America, the land of the free, where people are allowed to buy cars without the express written consent of some government fuck. 

Sorry for the late reply. I had to get government consent to reply to you.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

I'm now seeing Chevy Caprice PPVs, not as distinctive in the distance as the profiles of the CVPIs they're replacing.

Yes, I want one  :wub:
http://www.gmfleet.com/government/police/2012-caprice-ppv-patrol-car.html
"It comes standard with an efficient 3.6L V6 engine. For no additional charge you can select the optional 6.0L V8 engine, which delivers best-in-class top speed on the test track (154 mph)."
uh, ugh, where's the Kleenex?

There's a dealer, 'Precinct One,' in Cartersville, GA that sells used cop cars. A colleague of mine bought a CVPI from them years ago and loves it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 11, 2012, 06:13:31 PM
I'm now seeing Chevy Caprice PPVs, not as distinctive in the distance as the profiles of the CVPIs they're replacing.

Yes, I want one  :wub:
http://www.gmfleet.com/government/police/2012-caprice-ppv-patrol-car.html
"It comes standard with an efficient 3.6L V6 engine. For no additional charge you can select the optional 6.0L V8 engine, which delivers best-in-class top speed on the test track (154 mph)."
uh, ugh, where's the Kleenex?

There's a dealer, 'Precinct One,' in Cartersville, GA that sells used cop cars. A colleague of mine bought a CVPI from them years ago and loves it.

All cars should have a no charge V8 option.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 11, 2012, 06:26:09 PM
All cars should have a no charge V8 option.

Yes. Even the Fiesta. Especially the Fiesta. Along with a rear seat delete option.

sparkplug

the ways to spot a police car is to look at the wheels...
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: sparkplug on September 11, 2012, 09:06:15 PM
Good luck spotting the wheels when one of these are coming up behind you......... :mask:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on August 28, 2012, 05:00:10 AM
Did he pull her over too?

For Dave, this is the equivalent of a normal person asking, "and what color were her panties?"
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

rohan

As a fig leaf offering to a couple high ranking guys I agreed to try a couple of taurus's as test mules.  We broke one the second day (AWD) and no one wants to drive the other one after just one week.  Too small and generations behind our standard chargers for handling and power.  Fuel economy is no better then the charger v8s we use.  Smaller in pretty much every way except the trunk space is noticeably better.  Sending the broken one back on Monday and the other probably in early November as a failed test.  Next up is the Durango someone begged to try in January.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

thewizard16

Quote from: sparkplug on September 11, 2012, 09:06:15 PM
All the State Trooper cars here have regular alloy wheels. They're normally easy to spot anyway due to the blue stripe, but their unmarked cars are really damn good. I saw an Impala a couple years back pull someone over that just looked like a regular Impala. No badging, regular license plate, sport trim, tinted windows, etc. but it had all the lights and such, just exceptionally well hidden behind the glass and grille. You couldn't spot that one because there was nothing to spot.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.