Motor Trend 2006 SUV of the Year

Started by ifcar, October 26, 2005, 05:35:29 AM

ifcar

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news051025_suvoty/

Motor Trend Awards 2006 Sport/Utility of the Year
Diverse field of contenders defines the modern classification of an SUV

Motor Trend, the world's number one automotive authority and part of Primedia's Consumer Automotive Group, has selected the Nissan Xterra as Motor Trend's 2006 Sport/Utility of the Year.

"The Motor Trend awards have become a staple in the automotive industry and we are pleased to award Nissan for stepping up to the plate with this impressive vehicle," said Angus MacKenzie, editor-in-chief of Motor Trend. "Our audience depends on us to honor the new model that best demonstrates overall superiority, significance and value, and the Xterra stood out in each of those categories for its outstanding engineering, impressive on and off-road ability and clear focus on its target customers."

Motor Trend's editorial staff selected this year's winner from a field of 12 vehicles after comprehensive evaluations, which included off-road, street and track testing. Eligible vehicles were new or substantially redesigned sport/utilities scheduled to be on sale by January 1, 2006. This year's contenders included Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara.

After many days of grueling testing, the Motor Trend editors agreed the Nissan Xterra raises the bar in terms of engineering, design, performance and safety. This vehicle delivers amazing 'bang for your buck,' thanks to clever product development that ensures versatility and value.

The Xterra's value continues in the interior where savvy technology and electronics add functionality, while passengers experience comfort, space and support. Special attention was paid to the cargo area with an easy to clean cargo floor, rubberized rear seats, ten utility hooks throughout and two adjustable channels in the floor, which make it easy to secure gear and bikes.

"The Xterra is not a truck trying to be a car, or a car trying to be a truck or a minivan trying to be anything else," said MacKenzie. "It is a sport/utility in the purest sense of the term. No matter where the driver decides to go, through a country side road, hauling gear up a mountain, or simply from point A to point B, the Xterra will get them there quickly, quietly and in style."

About the Testing and Evaluation Process
Each year since 1949, the editorial staff of Motor Trend has evaluated eligible vehicles based on three key categories: Significance, Superiority, and Value. Significance refers to innovation in engineering, technology, design, safety and packaging. Superiority levels the playing field and looks for class-leading levels of vehicle dynamics and performance, build quality and execution, and how well the vehicle performs its intended function. Finally, the all-important Value question asks, "What does this vehicle deliver in relation to what the consumer has to pay to purchase and own it?"

The complete report on the Motor Trend 2006 Sport/Utility of the Year testing and selection will be published in the December issue of Motor Trend, available on newsstands November 1, 2005. Multimedia coverage of the testing and selection process will be broadcast on Motor Trend Radio, hosted by Bob Long.

About Motor Trend
Motor Trend, a PRIMEDIA publication, was founded in 1949 and has a circulation of 1.1 million and a total readership of 7.1 million. Internationally recognized as the world's number one automotive authority, Motor Trend is one of the leading brands in automotive publishing. The Motor Trend brand is comprised of Motor Trend Classic, motortrend.com; Motor Trend Television; Motor Trend Radio; Truck Trend; Motor Trend International Auto Shows; Motor Trend en Espanol; and the renowned Motor Trend Car, Sport/Utility and Truck of the Year Awards program.

cawimmer430

MOTOR TREND = AMERICA HATERS!

:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raghavan

THe Xterra, eh? That's a suprise...

cawimmer430

QuoteTHe Xterra, eh? That's a suprise...
MOTOR TREND = AMERICA HATERS!!!!

Trust me on this!  :lol:  :P  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

thewizard16

Hmm. I wouldn't have guessed that. I don't mind the Xterra, but I don't see anything fantastic about it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

El Barto

[ nissan troll ]   [ /nissan troll ]  :D  
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

TBR

Actually, MT has exhibited some domestic bias in the past, they actually named the Thunderbird their 2002 Car of the Year!  

Raza

Figures.  The ML and Range Rover Sport are too expensive to make the cut, probably, the Explorer and the like are fairly mundane, nothing is revolutionary or stand-out about the Tribeca other than its ugliness, the Tucson and Sportage are other SUVs with nothing special about them, the H3 is really no better than the Xterra.  Don't know much about the Commander.  

Good choice, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

Quote[ nissan troll ]   [ /nissan troll ]  :D
:praise:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SaltyDog

I applaud them for picking the Xterra.

I can't say I'm as surprised as some of you.  They are a performance mag and will naturally pick a car liked by it's enthusiast readers.  CR, on the other hand, leans toward mainstream for the same reason.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SJ_GTI

What?!? The Pontiac "Torrent" didn't win?!?

I am with cawimmer on this one. MT obviously hates America!!!

:o  

cawimmer430

Actually, MT has exhibited some domestic bias in the past, they actually named the Thunderbird their 2002 Car of the Year!
I was just trying to sound like PMC.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to point out that it is fairly surprising to see the Xterra win over the H3 considering the domestic bias MT has exhibited in the past.

ifcar

No enthusiast mag could resist the Nissan's vast performance advantage.  

Submariner

QuoteMOTOR TREND = AMERICA HATERS!

:lol:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  IT CANT BE!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

<_<  :lol:  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Secret Chimp

QuoteWhat?!? The Pontiac "Torrent" didn't win?!?

I am with cawimmer on this one. MT obviously hates America!!!

:o
Hell, people barely know about that thing. I've barely seen a handful of commercials for it, and that's only in the last month or two.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Maybe Pontiac is purposefully refusing to draw attention to their Equinox clone. <_<

thewizard16

QuoteMaybe Pontiac is purposefully refusing to draw attention to their Equinox clone. <_<
It wouldn't be a bad plan. The only prolific Pontiac commercial (other than for the Solstice, of course) I've seen lately is for the G6 coupe, which looks really nice.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

CaseyNPham

If I am correct, I think they chose the Kia Optima as the best midsize sedan once, but not for an award of anything like that..... So then I stopped subscribing.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

ifcar

That doesn't sound like anything I've seen. The Optima has not earned much praise among enthusiasts.  

TBR

The stupidest thing they've ever done was name the Thunderbird as the 2002 Car of the Year.

ifcar

It's called "following the hype". They did it with the 300 too, the only reason they weren't criticized there was because you could put a big engine in it and because it sold well.  

TBR

That's a little different, the Thunderbird was a terrible car that was horribly overpriced, the 300 on the other hand is a pretty good car (though recent competition has passed it) that is only mildly overpriced.

Raza

QuoteThat's a little different, the Thunderbird was a terrible car that was horribly overpriced, the 300 on the other hand is a pretty good car (though recent competition has passed it) that is only mildly overpriced.
What competition has passed it?  The 300C and Avalon are comparably priced, and the 300C has a V8 and RWD, whereas the Avalon has a ballooned body on an already overstressed Camry chassis.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

QuoteThat's a little different, the Thunderbird was a terrible car that was horribly overpriced, the 300 on the other hand is a pretty good car (though recent competition has passed it) that is only mildly overpriced.
What competition has passed it?  The 300C and Avalon are comparably priced, and the 300C has a V8 and RWD, whereas the Avalon has a ballooned body on an already overstressed Camry chassis.
There are other reasons that the Avalon is more likable from an overall standpoint than the 300. Yes, it has a V8 and RWD, and that's where a lot of it's appeal ends. Unless you like the styling, and then people seem to love it regardless of anything else.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

ifcar

Let's not get back into this, shall we? I still consider the 300 V6 to be mediocre at best, it just doesn't stand out in any way and is quite expensive.

And I don't think the Thunderbird was a terrible car. It wasn't remotely sporty, but it wasn't designed to be. Think of it as an comfortable cruiser, a value option against an SC430 and a premium option against a Sebring. Nothing wrong with that, except that the retro styling attracted hype that it couldn't live up to.  

ifcar

The 300C is not a direct Avalon competitor except that they're roughly the same size and price. And it's not the C that is expensive without merits, it's the V6 versions.  

Raza

The 300C is not a direct Avalon competitor except that they're roughly the same size and price. And it's not the C that is expensive without merits, it's the V6 versions.
I'll agree with you there.  But the 300C represents amazing value for money if it's your style.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Right, I'm not criticizing the 300C at all. If you want a lot of acceleration for the dollar and interior space, it's hard to find a better choice. (The new Impala SS is astonishingly close, however.)

TBR

Let's not get back into this, shall we? I still consider the 300 V6 to be mediocre at best, it just doesn't stand out in any way and is quite expensive.

And I don't think the Thunderbird was a terrible car. It wasn't remotely sporty, but it wasn't designed to be. Think of it as an comfortable cruiser, a value option against an SC430 and a premium option against a Sebring. Nothing wrong with that, except that the retro styling attracted hype that it couldn't live up to.
Sorry, the Thunderbird was and is pure crap. It has very little over the 30k Sebring convertible yet costs $10k more and is lacking a rear seat. And, I've never seen anyone say very good things about the Sebring.

Also, one could argue that the 300 line-up adds up to good:

300C (GREAT) + 300 Base/Touring/Limited (medicore)= 300 line-up (good)

It's all in the math.

That said, I still don't consider even the non C 300 to be medicore. It may not be at the top of the class, but compared to what was out before it it was nothing short of excellent (XG350, Crown Victoria, Park Avenue, Le Sabre, etc). I simply won't say that a car has gone from top of the class to medicore in 3 months.