Should I upgrade the exhaust on the G37?

Started by GoCougs, September 04, 2012, 01:07:05 AM

Should I upgrade the exhaust on the G37?

Yes
No

GoCougs

Looking for maybe 10-15% more sound. NO DRONING or raspy ricer sound. After searching a LOT of vids and perusing a lot of forums this is the one I've liked the best: Tanabe Medallion axle back. A bit steep at $600 though for what is basically a set of mufflers. All comments I've read rant and rave about the unparalleled fit and finish and ease of installation. For reference this is the stock exhaust: G37 sedan stock exhaust.

Though it looks sharp not a fan of the shiny mufflers and oversized tips though. Some blokes have scuffed up the surface and then painted with a black high temp paint to dull the bling rice factor.

Stock:

Installed on G37 sedan:

mzziaz

A new exhaust isn't gonna make that car any more exiting. Pass.
Cuore Sportivo

sportyaccordy

Quote from: mzziaz on September 04, 2012, 01:28:06 AM
A new exhaust isn't gonna make that car any more exiting. Pass.
Now now wait a minute

I put an exhaust on my Maxima and it transformed the character of the engine... but it was stickshift

I think an exhaust on an automatic is guaranteed to be "droney"... so I don't know.

Best bet though, you NEED to hear the exhausts in person, before making a decision. I almost made a huge mistake and got an exhaust for my bike that would have drove me nuts, because it didn't sound that loud on Youtube.

MrH

I'd pass due to the tips more than anything else.  The bumper is designed for oval tips.  Those are round, and pretty huge.  I'm thinking about getting an exhaust for my car, and most of the tips look like that, but the bumper is much more suited for that style.

Maybe you could get it and get different tips for it?  Not a big fan of the sound though.  Like Sporty said, I'd have to hear it in person.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

If it could have been done better, the manufacturer would have already done it.  Mods are always bad; the manufacturer is in this business, they spend millions on researching and developing exhaust systems, they always know better than you, the blockhead consumer.  Think about it this way--if the exhaust could have been better, why didn't Nissan use a better exhaust?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Didn't you recently say exhausts were worthless and were for posers, or some sort of jazz like that?

GoCougs

The goal is a bit more sound, not power. Yep, not a fan of the tips. If I still had my MIG welder from back in the day I'd take a stab at it. Thinking about talking to some shops about to port over the stock tip but the Tanabe stuff looks fantastic; would be a shame to:

Also, that above pic doesn't do the fit justice. I've seen a lot of pics now; the tips fit within the cut outs fine IMO; I'm just undecided on the size and the bling factor:

MrH

They're too far below the bumper or something.  If the cut out was larger, and they sat higher up in the bumper, it would look much better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 08:55:50 AM
Also, that above pic doesn't do the fit justice. I've seen a lot of pics now; the tips fit within the cut outs fine IMO; I'm just undecided on the size and the bling factor:

It looks like you have one of those hot dog cannons mascots use at ball games attached to your bumper.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28034.msg1774281#msg1774281 date=1346768419
If it could have been done better, the manufacturer would have already done it.  Mods are always bad; the manufacturer is in this business, they spend millions on researching and developing exhaust systems, they always know better than you, the blockhead consumer.  Think about it this way--if the exhaust could have been better, why didn't Nissan use a better exhaust?

That's a stupid argument.  The manufacturer is designing the vehicle with a specific purpose in mind with specific performance, efficiency, comfort, and budget goals.  Not every car should come with a loud, burbly exhaust.  That's exactly what the aftermarket is for.

Otherwise, we'd all be driving race cars, wouldn't we?

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 04, 2012, 09:33:32 AM
That's a stupid argument.  The manufacturer is designing the vehicle with a specific purpose in mind with specific performance, efficiency, comfort, and budget goals.  Not every car should come with a loud, burbly exhaust.  That's exactly what the aftermarket is for.

It's not my argument.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

The only thing that make sense in this entire thread is the hot dog cannon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 04, 2012, 09:33:32 AM

Raza was using Cougs' argument against him.

Personally, I am leaving the exhaust on my G37 alone.  Its loud enough as it is at full throttle or even half throttle.  If it were a V8 or the coupe, I would probably upgrade it, but not the sedan.  It doesn't fit the image of the car.

GoCougs

Unexpected FailSPIN thread was expected, with Raza and SVT666 winning co cupie dolls.

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:27:27 AM
Unexpected FailSPIN thread was expected, with Raza and SVT666 winning co cupie dolls.

Dude, you go on for years about how modifying cars is stupid and then half an hour after you buy something, you're on here looking for suggestions on modding.  Your "fail" is in the mirror.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28034.msg1774348#msg1774348 date=1346779982
Dude, you go on for years about how modifying cars is stupid and then half an hour after you buy something, you're on here looking for suggestions on modding.  Your "fail" is in the mirror.

Yeah, why buy a car and modify it when you could have a Camcorder?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Just ordered it off Amazon.com of all places. I haven't turned a wrench on a car in ~10 years. Last time I did was for a starter replacement on the Tacoma. Here in the least there is no welding; factory exhaust connections are bolt on, as in vogue these days.

And if I don't like it for whatever reason I'll simply dump 'em on eBay. Am still looking for a set of split 7-spoke 18" rims so perhaps a partial trade is on the horizon.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 11:30:10 AM
How did I fail?

Though not a fail the "character" of the car is as a performance Nissan. Oh, and your fail is you somehow you latched onto this lol:

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2012, 11:33:02 AM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
Just ordered it off Amazon.com of all places. I haven't turned a wrench on a car in ~10 years. Last time I did was for a starter replacement on the Tacoma. Here in the least there is no welding; factory exhaust connections are bolt on, as in vogue these days.

And if I don't like it for whatever reason I'll simply dump 'em on eBay. Am still looking for a set of split 7-spoke 18" rims so perhaps a partial trade is on the horizon.
I remember you stating several times that you "purposefully" didn't buy the Sport because the ride quality trade-off of the 18" wheel package isn't worth it.  You are so full of shit.

sportyaccordy

Ah ordered it already... I was gonna say... you'd prob be better served by an intake

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:41:42 AM
Though not a fail the "character" of the car is as a performance Nissan. Oh, and your fail is you somehow you latched onto this lol:
Actually, the image is as a performance Infiniti.  An entry-luxury sport sedan that is already louder than most other entry luxury sport sedans.  I think it will come off as ricey if it's any louder.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:41:42 AM

If its a performance car why is its exhaust so quiet

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2012, 11:46:22 AM
Ah ordered it already... I was gonna say... you'd prob be better served by an intake
Intakes on the VQ give it a really raspy sound which doesn't sound good.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2012, 11:47:10 AM
If its a performance car why is its exhaust so quiet
It's not.  At least I don't think so anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 11:44:41 AM
I remember you stating several times that you "purposefully" didn't buy the Sport because the ride quality trade-off of the 18" wheel package isn't worth it.  You are so full of shit.

Ha, ha. FailSPIN x 2. Sorry for the ItotallyownyouSPIN but you had it coming, as you always do. You should have learned from sporty and his now-cured penchant for InventedpremiseSPIN. (The audience will note I bought the the car the day before the below post):

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 01:06:11 PM
Here's the wheels I wanted - 18" upgrade (I have the standard 17" wheels, which look really really plain to me). They can be had from Infiniti for $400/per which is a bit expensive, plus they'd need new tires so I'd be looking at ~$2,400 to upgrade. Have been looking at eBay but probably wouldn't do that (and they're not a whole lot cheaper used).

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2012, 11:46:22 AM

Now THAT is a horrible idea. Yes, it adds intake sound, but I've never been a fan of that. Plus one is one asking for major problems. I remind the 'SPIN that ChrisV's aftermarket CAI ruined his motor.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:57:53 AM
Ha, ha. FailSPIN x 2. Sorry for the ItotallyownyouSPIN but you had it coming, as you always do. You should have learned from sporty and his now-cured penchant for InventedpremiseSPIN. (The audience will note I bought the the car the day before the below post):

You have made the comment I posted.  I have read it.  I'm not looking for it right now, but I will find it later when I'm not at work.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 11:46:39 AM
Actually, the image is as a performance Infiniti.  An entry-luxury sport sedan that is already louder than most other entry luxury sport sedans.  I think it will come off as ricey if it's any louder.

It's a Nissan (remember, it was developed as the Skyline 370GT in Japan first) and is at best "near" luxury.