Tire Suggestions?

Started by TurboDan, September 04, 2012, 11:37:29 PM

TurboDan

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be buying my first set of tires for the LR2 soon, but I've never bought SUV tires before. Was wondering if anyone could make any suggestions.

SIZE: 235/60R18

USE: Local roads and some highway miles with a mix of occasional off-roading. No "mudding" or monster truck style stuff, mostly dirt/sand trails through the woods, as well as soft beach sand when I take it to the ocean beach with my fishing gear. The trails occasionally get a little rough (uneven surfaces and light mud) but I don't want to push this thing through the heavy stuff at this point.

In looking at TireRack and some other sites, there looks to be slim pickins for my tire size in terms of anything off-road capable. The stock Conti CrossContact tires have actually done pretty well for me, believe it or not, but they are retardedly expensive. They sell Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 in this size but not sure of the brand. There are General Grabber UHPs, but no AT2s that fit. There's a Grabber 255/60R18 model, but I don't want the speedo/odometer thrown off or to put any extra pressure on the rear diff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rupert

I'd go with an all-terrain tread LT tire, load range D or better. If you can't find anything decent in that size, get smaller wheels, you ricer. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on September 05, 2012, 01:58:03 AM
I'd go with an all-terrain tread LT tire, load range D or better. If you can't find anything decent in that size, get smaller wheels, you ricer. :lol:

Lol. I'd love to. Actually in every other country the LR2 comes standard with 17s. Here it's 19s with 18s an option. I guess that has to do with Americans caring more about driving to the mall than anywhere off-road these days.

The prospect of buying four new rimZ plus four new tires makes me shudder to think of the bill. Do you think I could survive with 255/55-18s? This guy seems to be rocking the Grabber AT2s on his LR2 in that size: http://sam.odio.com/2011/11/29/review-general-grabber-at2-tires-lr2/

Any opinions on what the ramifications of going from 235 to 255 would be? Maybe I'll e-mail the blog writer and see what he has to say.

SVT666

I have General Grabber AT2s on the Explorer and I love them.  They are kind of loud on the highway, but they are pretty good in the snow and really good off road.  Highly recommend them and if you get them on Discount Tire's website, they are pretty reasonable.  They also ship to a Discount Tire location for free and will match Tire Rack's pre-shipping price.

Rupert

Quote from: TurboDan on September 05, 2012, 11:41:55 AM
Lol. I'd love to. Actually in every other country the LR2 comes standard with 17s. Here it's 19s with 18s an option. I guess that has to do with Americans caring more about driving to the mall than anywhere off-road these days.

The prospect of buying four new rimZ plus four new tires makes me shudder to think of the bill. Do you think I could survive with 255/55-18s? This guy seems to be rocking the Grabber AT2s on his LR2 in that size: http://sam.odio.com/2011/11/29/review-general-grabber-at2-tires-lr2/

Any opinions on what the ramifications of going from 235 to 255 would be? Maybe I'll e-mail the blog writer and see what he has to say.

That's just 20 mm wider, yes? No problem, though the blog thing does mention some rubbing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on September 05, 2012, 01:55:48 PM
That's just 20 mm wider, yes? No problem, though the blog thing does mention some rubbing.

Yeah, the rubbing part kinda bothers me a little.

That guy has 255/60-18s, though. They also make a 255/55-18 that would seem to be closer in size to the stock 235/60-18 size (identical, as strange as it sounds). Would going down to the 55 aspect ratio be bad/dangerous combined with the added section width?

SVT666

I wouldn't go down in sidewall ratio.  Leave it at 60 and just go 20mm wider.  I went from 235/70 to 255/70 and now my speedometer is bang on. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on September 05, 2012, 04:16:53 PM

That guy has 255/60-18s, though. They also make a 255/55-18 that would seem to be closer in size to the stock 235/60-18 size (identical, as strange as it sounds). Would going down to the 55 aspect ratio be bad/dangerous combined with the added section width?

Does 10 up, 5 down still apply to truck tires?  I imagine that you will have issues with the speedometer reading if you don't keep things in proper proportion.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: TurboDan on September 05, 2012, 04:16:53 PM

Oh hell, I dunno. I can't do tire size math in my head. :P