2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Secret Chimp

1.75 liters of rum of your choice shipped to you illegally

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Finally Sold - 2001 Honda CR-V

Profit = $-50

I did learn something; never fuck with a 4WD car ever again. Too many things to go wrong.

The Civic netted a profit of $850 without me doing a damn thing, though.

Onto the next one!

FlatBlackCaddy

Now you're a real car salesman.

Sure you lost money, but make it up in volume.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 09, 2015, 03:54:45 PM
Now you're a real car salesman.

Sure you lost money, but make it up in volume.

I should get a finance arm

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 09, 2015, 03:56:20 PM
I should get a finance arm

That's where the money is at, the cars are just there to get people into the finance office.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 09, 2015, 03:59:04 PM
That's where the money is at, the cars are just there to get people into the finance office.

These cars would have been appreciably better than most cars on the finance lots, though.

giant_mtb

Win some, lose some.  $50 loss isn't too bad.  Kinda sucks that you invested time and energy to not quite make your money back, but it could have been worse.

Speed_Racer

$50 to learn what to avoid in the future? Sounds like a good deal to me. What a hassle that CRV was.

AutobahnSHO

I have a tandem-bike-attachment for sale on craigslist since Saturday. Dude contacted me sunday we lined up tonight but today he doesn't have the $20 I asked for. 2 people emailed me last night, I email first one back today and he lives like 2hrs from here. ?!

I see how it can be a TOTAL hassle.!!
Will

2o6

I can't stay away

2005 Pontiac Vibe

$700.

Needs engine.

Car is worth about 3500 at worst

FlatBlackCaddy

giant_mtb

What are the details?  What happened to the engine?  Any potential damage elsewhere?

Speed_Racer

And where do you find these cars?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Sorry, I posted from my phone in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Anyways, it's a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (whatever the non base trim is) and it's got cruise, PL, PW and AC. It's also got new brakes, great tires, and a new AC compressor, and new exhaust pieces.

- It's got a small accident under it's belt, and the car is a little dent-ier than I'd like but it's still pretty 'good'.

- Typical toyota white, there's basically no clear coat left. A good wax will make it look significantly better though

- the chick had a kid, and she smoked. It's not disgusting, but it does need a good cleaning.

Her dad bought it for her when she was 16, but it looks like it's not only too small for her (she's fat), but she's got a couple kids so she decided to get a two year old Ford Edge.

Her dad took it to a mechanic where they diagnosed it with a bad connecting rod (i originally thought it snapped, but I'm not sure yet). There's a light knock on a cold start, but it quickly went away. No CEL. The shop where it's located says the oil pump is failing/failed.

There's a big ass oil leak undeneath the car, so meh. I've budgeted to replace the engine.

Purchase price

$700

New engine -

$800 - junkyard, but I'm looking for a cheaper one.

Engine labor -

$500

So I'd be in it about 2k.

List for $3500, take 3K. 1K ish profit.

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 16, 2015, 04:04:57 PM
And where do you find these cars?

Craigslist. The car had been listed only 1 hour. I was the very first. I scan CL about 2-3 times an hour a day. That's how I found the Civic. And the CR-V.

KBB puts the car at $3200 at fair condition, but still I feel like asking 3600 isn't too far off base, given CL pricing.

MexicoCityM3

Good luck on this one 2o6. Sound like a doable but somewhat risky plan (engine sourcing/install complications?).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 16, 2015, 05:21:00 PM
Good luck on this one 2o6. Sound like a doable but somewhat risky plan (engine sourcing/install complications?).

Why would it be? It's about as risky as the Civic was, with more cushion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on June 16, 2015, 05:23:22 PM
Why would it be? It's about as risky as the Civic was, with more cushion.

Engine install sounds complicated to someone like me who tends to look at such jobs with no fucking idea of what they actually entail. Like I said, good luck I hope you make that kilodollar on this.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 16, 2015, 05:24:48 PM
Engine install sounds complicated to someone like me who tends to look at such jobs with no fucking idea of what they actually entail. Like I said, good luck I hope you make that kilodollar on this.

Haha, it's not hard. And little cars like this are pretty not complicated, just a lot of steps.

The Civic needed a new engine

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on June 16, 2015, 04:14:05 PM
KBB puts the car at $3200 at fair condition, but still I feel like asking 3600 isn't too far off base, given CL pricing.

Sounds like a score!!

I see accident cars sometime and think "someone should buy that one and the other wrecked one and make one good car"....
Will

ifcar

I didn't realize they'd gotten so cheap -- I guess they're at the point where it's just lumped in to the generic "American car with mechanical problems" price range of approximately zero. But once you've gotten it cleaned up nice and with a new engine, I'd think that maybe you can even get more than $3,500 for it.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2015, 08:16:40 PM
I didn't realize they'd gotten so cheap -- I guess they're at the point where it's just lumped in to the generic "American car with mechanical problems" price range of approximately zero. But once you've gotten it cleaned up nice and with a new engine, I'd think that maybe you can even get more than $3,500 for it.

It's a ten year old car with 160k; similar gen Corollas are only a little more expensive

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 16, 2015, 08:35:30 PM

It's a ten year old car with 160k; similar gen Corollas are only a little more expensive

Than $700? It feels like a Corolla that runs has more value than that at any age.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 17, 2015, 07:53:21 AM
Than $700? It feels like a Corolla that runs has more value than that at any age.

With a ruined motor? This car needs an engine; that lops off a lot of value.

2o6

It's $1300 for a used engine and a guy under the table to get this car back on the road.

If it was done at the dealer, it's literally three times that amount.

If I were a dealer I could likely charge 5000 for this car maybe, but with a $3600 engine job it's still only worth $1000 ish in state

ifcar

I guess....I don't know, but if you see any 2005 Corollas for under $1,000, you should snap those up too.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 17, 2015, 09:31:36 AM
I guess....I don't know, but if you see any 2005 Corollas for under $1,000, you should snap those up too.

Of course. Those seem to be better kept than the Matrix and Vibe twins, though. I don't often see those broken down, which is funny because they're the same mechanically as the Matrix and has the same trouble spots. The 1.8 1ZZ is notorious for burning rings and burning oil.

ifcar

I meant to ask -- when you change out an engine, what are you doing with the old one? Do you sell it for scrap metal or to someone who salvages some of its parts or what?

2o6

Junkyards have core charges, I get $50 back and they recycle the engine for scrap metal