2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on January 08, 2016, 03:47:44 PM
Looking at the exorbitant prices for RAV4's, and the fact it's about to finally start snowing

I went for it - guy took $1250.

Tow dolly is $49.99 and my friend is letting me use his Mazda B series

Where are you renting the tow dolly from? U-Haul won't rent it to you to tow a RAV4 with a small truck.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on January 08, 2016, 04:28:06 PM
Is there an intermediate stage between a private car flipper and a car dealership in which you could be an LLC without yet needing a dealer license? Then, as a business expense, you could get a cheap truck to be a flip-tower. And then when you're out of other cars to sell at a given time, you can even flip the truck and buy another.

I've thought about it, and my friend has an LLC for basically this very thing.

I don't think I do it enough for me to be cost effective.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 08, 2016, 04:35:29 PM

I've thought about it, and my friend has an LLC for basically this very thing.

I don't think I do it enough for me to be cost effective.

Can you buy cars acquired at title loan places?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

This RAV4 is goofy.

Toyota pulled a GM-Style of design changes, and the block is different between FWD and 4WD models. The one of the mounts is casted differently on the 4WD cars because it won't clear the transfer case, otherwise. So research shows a 2WD car can use a 4WD motor, but a 4WD car can't use a 2WD motor.

I guess it works out, cause there are no 2WD motors in my city.

2o6

I passed on the RAV4 cause it was trash.

The guy neglected to tell me that it had no battery, so I never got an exact mileage. Also he neglected to tell me the car had been sitting for two fucking years. The control arms look like death, and front rotors are totally brown, along with the calipers. The body and interior was generally clean, but it'll need all new brake hardware, control arms, and an engine.

I'm glad I didn't buy that pile. What a fuck ass.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2016, 04:28:48 PM
Where are you renting the tow dolly from? U-Haul won't rent it to you to tow a RAV4 with a small truck.
Really? I never had a problem renting one but I always used my Pops F-150.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 10, 2016, 10:41:04 AM
Really? I never had a problem renting one but I always used my Pops F-150.

I called ahead to rent one to tow a Honda Civic with my Dakota. They said my truck was too small. Had to borrow friend's Silverado, and when I was there they needed the car info to look up its weight. Then they inspected the truck with dolly hooked up, and the fucking brake lights didn't work. Had to re-splice a wire before they'd let me take it. Fuck U-Haul.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on January 10, 2016, 12:31:21 PM
I called ahead to rent one to tow a Honda Civic with my Dakota. They said my truck was too small. Had to borrow friend's Silverado, and when I was there they needed the car info to look up its weight. Then they inspected the truck with dolly hooked up, and the fucking brake lights didn't work. Had to re-splice a wire before they'd let me take it. Fuck U-Haul.
OH WOW! UHaul never did any of that to me! And the last time I rented a dolly the brake lights on the dolly didn't work at all!

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on January 10, 2016, 12:31:21 PM

Uhaul didn't let me take it because my hitch was under rated; my friends Mazda B has the ball in the bumper and not secured to the frame.

Otherwise it would have been fine.

It worked out anyways cause that RAV4 was a pile of shit. The car sat for two years, and although the body was generally clean, the control arms and front wheels/rotors/calipers looked seized. I don't think that thing would have moved. And I wouldn't have had my mechanic look at that rusty POS. We wouldn't be friends after that lol

2o6

Ok, I bought something

2001 Mazda Tribute V6 Auto FWD

It's a California car and only been here for six months.

- It "runs" but there's a big ass hole in the EGR which sounds like death and it won't idle very well. This points to a bad cat(s)

Its most likely the rear cat

Book value is around $2500-2600.

Purchase Price

$1250.

Cat - $130, for the rear one.

EGR - $30.

It's also got some other niggles (rear wiper motor and arm are gone, and the interior door handle for the passenger doesn't work). But the tires are new, and yet again - no rust.

2o6

I got the tribute home. My friend undid the exhaust (which was a breeze since its a Cali car!) partway which bypassed the cat which let me drive it back (although with a broken EGR valve it still ideals like ass)

Was a loud drive, but the car feels great at 70MPH and it rides and handles well.

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

I finally got around to working on this thing - here's the old EGR valve

The Tribute was throwing NINE OBD codes. I cleared the CEL, and so far, no return. I replaced the EGR, and it right now has no drivability issues.

Gotta-Qik-C7

How much are you looking to get for it?

EDIT: I just saw it only FWD. Dammit I need AWD.

2o6

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 30, 2016, 06:47:24 PM
How much are you looking to get for it?

EDIT: I just saw it only FWD. Dammit I need AWD.

Yeah sorry. Lol

2o6

Potential Flip -

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD

Yes, this is basically the Ford twin of the car I have now, but this car is newer by three years, has about the same miles, and is better equipped (4WD, leather, etc)

KBB puts it at $3300 for "good"

He's asking $1200, and it's got the same problem my Tribute had, albeit not as severe. Misfire causing the front cat to shit out onto the rear cat, and thus clog the rear cat. the EGR hasn't exploded, but the car barely moves.

Even if I pay someone to replace all cats, I'd only be in it like $2200.

I'm going for it.

2o6

Spent most of its life in AL, purchased from original owner who was friend of family - super clean inside and out, from rich part of town.

Has brand new tires and brakes, as well as comes with two extra new tires. Been meticulously maintained.

New cat(s) are $200 + 200 labor for the front one, and $150 for the rearmost one.

Laconian

Front cat shitting into the intake of the rear cat? It's like the Human Centipede, but with cats.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 19, 2016, 05:18:10 PM
Front cat shitting into the intake of the rear cat? It's like the Human Centipede, but with cats.

hah yes.

These things are notiorious for misfiring a little, people driving them anyways, and then the precat melts, goes down the headers, and gets stuck on the rearmost cat.

Mine the guy drove it anyways and blew up the EGR. This one, they had enough sense to not drive it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on February 19, 2016, 05:12:48 PM
Spent most of its life in AL, purchased from original owner who was friend of family - super clean inside and out, from rich part of town.

Has brand new tires and brakes, as well as comes with two extra new tires. Been meticulously maintained.

New cat(s) are $200 + 200 labor for the front one, and $150 for the rearmost one.
I see A LOT of first gen Escapes with bad Cats for sell.

2o6

Pics. It's super clean.

Even came with two tires, that are brand new.

2o6

So projected profit on the two Ford SUV Twins

01 Tribute FWD - 166K

Purchase Price - $1250

Rearmost Cat - $88.

Installation for rearmost cat - $80

Tax/Title/Registration - $126

Oil Sender - $20

Interior/Exterior Detail - $55 (it needs it, but I may just do the interior, which is $55)

Rear Wiper Motor/Arm - $60 (I may ignore this)

Total investment

$1,679

Projected Sales Goal - KBB puts the car's worth around $2300-2600. I'm aiming for $2500. A running car is worth $2500.

Projected profit

$921 - 600

-------------

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD - 180K

Purchase Price - $1200

Front Cat - $179 (ebay cat)

Cat instillation - $250

Rearmost cat - $88

Rearmost Cat instillation - $80

Profit from sale of two very good tires + $65

Tax/Title/Regisstration - ~$80

Total Investment - $1812

Projected sales - KBB Puts the car's value anywhere from $3300 to $3700 private party. It's still got 180K, and I don't want to be too doggish - so I'll just accept $3300, which is probably on the low side.

Projected profit range - $1888 - 1488

I plan on doing this one more time, then calming down (i'll be out of flip money and title transfers) and buying a "real" car.

ifcar

How much time before your title transfer period resets? Would it make sense to keep that last one in reserve in case something awesome comes your way, or if you end up wanting or needing to sell your real car?

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2016, 02:58:12 PM
How much time before your title transfer period resets? Would it make sense to keep that last one in reserve in case something awesome comes your way, or if you end up wanting or needing to sell your real car?

One year.

I will still have one left.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'm eye balling that Ford......

2o6

Revised estimate

2001 Tribute LX FWD

KBB Value $2200- 2600

-
Purchase Price - $1250

Rearmost Cat - $88.

Installation for rearmost cat - $85

Tax/Title/Registration - $126

Oil Sender - $6 (autozone one is working)

Interior/Exterior Detail - $60 (it needs it, but I may just do the interior, which is $55)

Rear Wiper Motor/Arm - $60 (I may ignore this)

Intake manifold gasket - $13

Front door handle (it's broken) - $8

Total investment

$1,636

Potential profit

$934 - $534

-------------------

'04 Escape Limited

KBB Value $3800- 3300 (actually it's like 4K for "Very good" but I want it gone, I don't want to sit on it)

Purchase Price - $1200

Rearmost Cat - $88.

Installation for rearmost cat (and flexpipe) - $161

Tax/Title/Registration - $106

Front cat - $175

Front Cat instillation - $??? (ive earmarked $250 for it, but my guy under the table shouldn't need 5 hours of labor to do this)

Across town tow (AAA) - $103, but since I need AAA anyways I don't know if I should count this.

Sale of tires + $60

Total investment

$2,023

Potential profit

$1,777 - 1,277

AutobahnSHO

LOL MrH should be making money instead of spending it on all his car buying. I lose track which of you buys more :lol:
Will

2o6

2001 Mazda Tribute

Sold - $2500.

Profit - $864.

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on March 07, 2016, 06:09:19 PM
2001 Mazda Tribute

Sold - $2500.

Profit - $864.

Not bad.  How many hours worth of work was that for you?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV