2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

2o6

I think I should stop obsessing and just keep pressing forward

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2017, 05:37:00 PM
I've been parking them on the street. Also, the legality of my flipping is getting grey-er. Now that i have more money, I have more capital and the capital/profit steam and it's really picking up. I'll have five figures of capital when all cars are sold. I can really amp this train up.

Technically I can only do 5-6 per year. Friends do wayy more and dont get any consequence. The Mazda, Fit, Jetta, Scion would be four.

I guess you need to leave it titled to the previous owner. Lots of non-official dealers do it like that.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 12, 2017, 05:44:19 PM
I guess you need to leave it titled to the previous owner. Lots of non-official dealers do it like that.

Ohio is a notary state, and that's a felony.

veeman

How are you dealing with auto insurance? 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on January 12, 2017, 05:45:11 PM
How are you dealing with auto insurance?

By insuring them? Liability insurance is minimal.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2017, 05:44:39 PM

Ohio is a notary state, and that's a felony.
That shit is such a hassle!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Time for you to get a lot and some suspenders brah
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 13, 2017, 04:21:33 PM
Time for you to get a lot and some suspenders brah

Always be puffin on a big cigar. One of the car guys that hangs around my shop always has the giant cigar in his mouth. Alwaysm

2o6

Mazda runs.

I kind of forgot that the headliner is sagging.

Also, it's been sitting longer than I thought. Tires feel out of round, and the brakes will probably need new rotors. Driving and stopping made the rotors less rusty, but I think the age/weather made them warped/ruined.

2o6

OK, updated cost analysis

Mazda 6

$1000 purchase price

$92 - tax/title/registration

$650 - engine

$500 - labor

$82.50* Brakes. The rotors are rusty af but it stops. It may just need the rust knocked off from sitting. I can return these if not needed.

$120 - Detail. This car is gross inside.

$12 - can of glue. I forgot the headline is sagging, but just the fabric. Not the foam.

My friend sold his 2008 Mazda 6 (identical to mine, but has 140K instead of 89K) for $3500. I think getting another grand out of it wouldn't be unreasonable.

Book Value - $4500

Honda Fit

Purchase Price - $500

Clutch - $120 (rounded)

Tax/title/registration - $65

Labor (plus a coil lying around his shop for a misfire) - $500

Detail - $120

Tow $80

Book value - $2850

VW Jetta

I have a few things I can try, but I can't really focus on this car yet.

Purchase Price - $1000

Tax/title/registration - $92

Crank angle sensor - Free (I have a friend who flips Golf/Jetta IV cars all the time, he had a few lying around)

It may need a charcoal canister, so lets' just add $500 to this this dossier.

Book Value $2650

Scion tC,

Purcahse price $1200

Engine $1100

Labor $500

Tax/registraton/etc - $102

Book Value $3650

So,

Scion tC potential profit ~$600

Honda Fit Potential Profit ~ $1400

Mazda 6 potential profit ~ $2100

VW Jetta Potential Profit ~ $1300

Overall potential profit target - $5,400.

MrH

:golfclap: gonna have to lower your projection on that fit though, since you're selling it to me for $800
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on January 17, 2017, 09:00:25 PM
:golfclap: gonna have to lower your projection on that fit though, since you're selling it to me for $800

So, -$600 profit, huh? :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

veeman

My wife gets her car detailed every few months and it annoys me because I feel like I'm pissing that money away.  Then again, I'm too lazy to spend an hour or two vacuuming, shampooing the carpets, and spraying cleaners usually.

Is that why you don't detail the cars yourself or do they do something that you can't do easily by yourself?

AutobahnSHO

I vacuum once a year, if lucky. Shampoo??

Sales would be different.
Will

2o6

Quote from: veeman on January 20, 2017, 04:19:11 AM
My wife gets her car detailed every few months and it annoys me because I feel like I'm pissing that money away.  Then again, I'm too lazy to spend an hour or two vacuuming, shampooing the carpets, and spraying cleaners usually.

Is that why you don't detail the cars yourself or do they do something that you can't do easily by yourself?

It's easier to pay someone and usually looks better than I can do

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on January 20, 2017, 04:19:11 AM

I don't see it as pissing money away.  You clean your house, don't you?  Wash your sheets?  Keep the toilet clean?  Do dishes?  People spend a lot of time in their cars, so keeping a car as clean as you keep any other room you spend a lot of time in is nothing to be ashamed of, and plenty of people pay others to clean their house so they don't have to do it themselves (a weird concept to me).  Cars aren't really different in that regard.  Nothing wrong with cosmetic maintenance, just like mechanical maintenance. 

CaminoRacer

I've never had someone else clean the interior, but if I plan on doing so for any used cars I buy if they haven't already been detailed by a dealer.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I'm just not picky- no trash in my house but I don't mop as often as I 'should' and once in a while I have to take the glass out of the microwave and wash it because it gets somewhat icky. (Ex kept everything spotless).

I have never paid for a detail, I don't wash my cars but a few times/year, I vacuum them out once in a while, but it's not like they're full of trash and stains, either. In fact I had Legacy for 6.5yrs and there was one stain on the back seat when son puked which I couldn't get it all out but it was pretty close enough. I never spilled in the front seats, it was really clean when I bought it, so it was very clean when I sold it.
Will

12,000 RPM

It depends on how much you value your time. Plus a good car wash can really do wonders. Getting the Z detailed had the paint looking like new. I'm definitely going to get the Civic buffed out or w/e when its time to toss it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

I mean, some cars I get have been sitting awhile or have been mistreated. A lot of these cars have really gross interiors. Sometimes getting the interior to rights is out of my skill set.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2017, 02:29:44 PM
I mean, some cars I get have been sitting awhile or have been mistreated. A lot of these cars have really gross interiors. Sometimes getting the interior to rights is out of my skill set.

Some people certainly don't give one fuck, that's for sure.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2017, 02:29:44 PM

The detail guys here strip the seats out and powerwash everything.

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 20, 2017, 02:37:55 PM
The detail guys here strip the seats out and powerwash everything.

What?  They remove the seats from the car and wash the inside with a hose?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on January 20, 2017, 04:07:18 PM
What?  They remove the seats from the car and wash the inside with a hose?

Sometimes. The carpets in these used cars are just nasty.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 20, 2017, 11:38:34 AM
I don't see it as pissing money away.  You clean your house, don't you?  Wash your sheets?  Keep the toilet clean?  Do dishes?  People spend a lot of time in their cars, so keeping a car as clean as you keep any other room you spend a lot of time in is nothing to be ashamed of, and plenty of people pay others to clean their house so they don't have to do it themselves (a weird concept to me).  Cars aren't really different in that regard.  Nothing wrong with cosmetic maintenance, just like mechanical maintenance. 

I pay for housekeeping.  Three people come once every two weeks and spend two hours and it costs $100.  No way I'm going to spend 6 hours cleaning my house.

A car is an exponentially smaller space and so you don't get tired.  I clean the inside of my car probably twice a year with a lot of elbow grease.  It takes about an hour.  I don't wash the outside. My wife gets her car detailed every few months for $120.  The outside looks great.  The inside seems like something I could do in an hour.  So I think that I should have spent an hour cleaning it and taken the car to a car wash for $10.  And use that $110 for something else.  Whatever.  If just annoys me a little bit. On a scale of 1-10 on annoyance, it registers at a 1 though.

2o6

Mazda's done.

Total invested

$1000 - purchase price

$650 - engine

$500 - labor

$100 - detail

$120 - tax/title/registration

$39 - brakes (it didn't need brakes.....but there's a fee for returning to rock auto.  :banghead: I have a friend with a Mazda 6 who may need brakes. I'll just sell them to him)

$12 glue (headliner was sagging, and still kinda is but it looks better at least)

$70 - battery (old one was 6 years old and barely had any cranking amps)

Total invested - ~$2500.

I'm alming for a $4500 sale price, which would net me a 2K profit. Fingers crossed!

veeman

Car looks great.  I think it'll sell quick.  When you put a used junkyard engine in a car, do you know how many miles were put on the replacement engine?  Does it matter meaning does a used engine with less miles on it cost more than one with more miles on it or not really.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on January 22, 2017, 12:19:15 PM
Car looks great.  I think it'll sell quick.  When you put a used junkyard engine in a car, do you know how many miles were put on the replacement engine?  Does it matter meaning does a used engine with less miles on it cost more than one with more miles on it or not really.

Yes, I generally do. "Junkyard" parts are insurance auction cars. The yard tells me how many miles are on the motor. Lower mile engines usually cost more.

Gotta-Qik-C7

How the hell did that car need a motor at only 89K? SMH! It looks good now tho!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

I had a 2003 slushbox Mazda 6i (4cyl).  Was totaled at 55 thousand miles on the odometer because someone hit me from behind.  I loved that car.  Engine was buzzy but it handled great.  Only thing I didn't like was the turning radius was like that of a Suburban.  I replaced it with a 2007 Sonata, which I still
have, and the handling difference was like night and day with the Sonata being much worse.