2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Xer0

Yeah, that looks great and.  That year Civic has really aged well and still looks fresh.  the 9th gen looks very cheap side by side to it.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 17, 2018, 03:49:44 PM
Nice. Out of curiosity, do you use this money as income?  Save/invest it?  How do taxes work (or do you do it under the table)?

I use it as income, or save it. Depends.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 17, 2018, 04:55:39 PM
Great job! Amazing improvement.

Quote from: Xer0 on May 18, 2018, 08:45:14 AM
Yeah, that looks great and.  That year Civic has really aged well and still looks fresh.  the 9th gen looks very cheap side by side to it.

Thx!

Quote from: MrH on May 18, 2018, 05:32:32 AM
Wow. Big difference.

What the hell was in that trunk? That car was nasty

The guy used to be a roofer, and he used this car to drive all over OH and get to job sites. Loads of building material dust in the car. Also, the driver's seat was caked in body soil and sweat, and the entire car smelled like a nasty sweaty man.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on May 18, 2018, 05:32:32 AM
Wow. Big difference.

What the hell was in that trunk? That car was nasty

Chicken slaughter house?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Might pick this up today or tomorrow for $750. Potential $2000+ profit. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/belleville/2006-kia-sorento/1356481527?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Payman

Done. $750. Fuel pump & strainer ordered. Swapping out is easy peasy... pop the rear seat, pull the panel, in and out. This thing is in amazing condition for the year, and only 169k kms (105,000 miles).  I might keep it as a winter beater. Yes, it's the 4wd model.  :dance:

Cookie Monster

Damn, that is an awesome buy for $750. Keep that thing. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

I don't trust Kias. I'd put that fuel pump in (if that's the issue) and dump it.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2018, 02:17:25 PM
I don't trust Kias. I'd put that fuel pump in (if that's the issue) and dump it.

Why? I trust them more than any domestic of the same age.  :huh:

2o6

I don't. Kia had notoriously bad tolerances on things like engines, valves, etc around this time of their life. They seem pretty low quality, but don't have the parts availability of a GM or Ford.

I generally don't start considering any Korean car until around 2009+, usually starting with the Soul.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2018, 02:37:07 PM
I don't. Kia had notoriously bad tolerances on things like engines, valves, etc around this time of their life. They seem pretty low quality, but don't have the parts availability of a GM or Ford.

I generally don't start considering any Korean car until around 2009+, usually starting with the Soul.

Can you back any of that up? If it had these issues, I'd like to read about it. Nothing I've researched so far indicates anything extraordinary, ie worse in any way than any other 2006 V6 4wd SUV.

Payman

Damn, I was way off. People are asking $6500 and up for similar examples. Shitty gas mileage is the only real negative I've found.

https://www.kbb.com/kia/sorento/2006/

2o6

1. Are they dealers?

2. Price it against your local market, private party. Also, asking is not always selling. I was CONVINCED I would get 6K for the Journey, and despite KBB being high, I was doing good to get 4K.

Maybe Canada is different. Those Sorentos don't always get what people are asking, as with most HK products. Most people in my particular area are asking around 4K USD, which means prolly around a $3500 selling price. That isn't too bad, but it's not $6500.

2o6

I THOUGHT I had a pending Civic sale. Two guys (a 19 year old and his dad) came to look at the car, they liked it, and even accepted asking price.

We agreed to meet at the bank the next day at noon to exchange money and title.

Of course, I get a text at 9AM saying they've changed their mind.  :rolleyes:

Two days ago, I had a guy also enthusiastically like the car....only to disappear and never be seen again.

12,000 RPM

Could you net a profit with CarMax???
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 28, 2018, 07:43:37 AM
Could you net a profit with CarMax???

I don't think CarMax messes with cars that old. They would likely only offer him scrap/auction value since they wouldn't want to sell it on their lot.

2o6

I still have this Honda. This is the worst sale I've done in awhile.

Highlights:

About 50% have been dads looking for their Daughter. These are the biggest time wasters. They don't know dick about cars, nothing is ever good enough, and they have no money. I've been getting guys out of state saying "I need this for my daughter". They look at 40 different cars, and waste everyone's time. Usually these guys give up and take their daughter to a franchised car lot and have them pick out something from the budget lot.

I had one guy accept asking price. We agreed on a time to meet at the bank. I even took the listing down. He text me the next AM changing his mind. No reason given.

I had a lady (who looked like ms doubtfire) come out and drive it, ask me dumb questions. She kept saying it was a rebuilt title. (It's not.) She tried to imply I was lying when I said that this car is a timing chain, not a belt. Of course, she passed.

About 10 offers for $3500, five of them texting me literally after 12:15 AM. As a rule, I don't take text offers; come out and see the car in person you lazy fuck.

Offer for $3000. At 2:30 AM.

Offer for $3700, but didn't come out to see the car.

More people who don't believe it's a timing chain.

I fucking hate this.

veeman

About 4 years ago I once had a dickhead Hyundai service manager argue with me that my 2007 Sonata with 100,000 miles was due for a timing belt replacement (He tried to upsell everything.  Tried to tell me my car needed severe weather more frequent service and I countered that it didn't snow yet this winter).  After I insisted it had a timing chain he looked it up on his computer and then didn't say anything.

People just think to make sure the timing belt has already been replaced on an older high mileage car  before buying.  They're just going through their checklist. 

CaminoRacer

Tell them you replaced the belt with a chain as a performance upgrade.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 09, 2018, 04:07:47 PM
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 09, 2018, 04:07:47 PM

:rockon:
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

giant_mtb

People are fuckin' bizarre, man.  Who the hell texts a stranger at 4:38AM to ask about a Craigslist ad? :nutty:

SJ_GTI

Laconian

Was that guy spamming a VIN check site? Looks like he added a referral code?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

What's your bottom dollar is such a stupid question.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on June 15, 2018, 11:23:11 PM
Was that guy spamming a VIN check site? Looks like he added a referral code?

This is a new common scam. They ask you "Hey, can you give me the carfax?" and use this weird 3rd party site that steals credit card info.

Quote from: TBR on June 17, 2018, 09:27:02 AM
What's your bottom dollar is such a stupid question.

It's literally the worst question ever.

Morris Minor

My daughter has to sell her (slightly battered) 2010 Prius before she goes overseas. Not looking forward to all this fuckery. One issue is that none of us has a local bank account - so getting cash into it is going to be a pain.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși