IFCAR Comparo: Midsize SUVs

Started by ifcar, October 27, 2005, 06:13:37 AM

ifcar

Most of you probably remember the most recent IFCAR comparo (economy sedans), and here's an updated version of the midsize SUV group:

http://www.ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.midsizeSUVs.htm

The comparison itself should be complete, let me know if you find errors either in content or with the site. Many links outside of the comparison do not work, but everything important to the comparison itself should. The new layout has a few glitches that I'm already aware of that I've yet to bother to try and fix.

If you have questions, please ask. If you disagree with anything, please bring it up for an INTELLIGENT debate (IE not "Well, I thought this should have been in first place, and I saw another comparison that agrees with me, so you're wrong.") I know it's long, but please read through at least the introduction and conclusion for each car instead of just looking at the order, which won't tell you very much. If you see errors (in either content or with the site) please let me know. And be sure to read the introduction before asking snide questions.

If this is the first time you've come across an IFCAR comparo, you can check out the other seven at http://ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.htm.

That should cover everything, so enjoy!

TBR

Oops, I forgot to make the side columns wider for you. Also, what happened to the banner? I will have to figure out what the problem is there.

SaltyDog

I agree with you on the Freestyle pick the more I think about it.  I'll take mine w/o the CVT though.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

QuoteOops, I forgot to make the side columns wider for you. Also, what happened to the banner? I will have to figure out what the problem is there.
No problem, I managed to resize the columns without wrecking the formatting too much. I had the banner pic problem on both the economy sedans and this comparison, but only on FireFox. Not sure why, they should be the same dimensions as the main-page pic.

And Tom, you can't get the Freestyle with anything but the CVT.

SaltyDog

Oh, I though a 4sp auto was standard.  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

The 500 has an available 6-spd auto, but the Freestyle is CVT only.

ifcar

The Five Hundred FWD models have the 6-speed auto, the AWDs have the CVT. The base SE Five Hundred FWD used to have an available CVT as well, but I'm not sure that's still offered.

SaltyDog

That's crap.  I don't want an unproven transmission.  How was it to drive, Ifcar?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

I like the CVT myself. The 6-speed is always shifting, and doesn't hide that well, and the CVT improves both performance (except off-the-line acceleration, an annoyance that will hopefully be worked out soon) and fuel economy. The Nissan Murano also has a CVT, BTW.

Raghavan

Would ya look at that, the car based SUV's did better than the real truck based ones. <_<