Jaguar F-Type

Started by SVT666, September 19, 2012, 03:43:06 PM

SVT666

Jaguar F-Type will have a manual transmission
By Paul Rachwal

It appears an earlier report about Jaguar eventually bringing a manual transmission to the upcoming F-type sports car from an unnamed source within Jaguar may prove true. Now, Jaguar's global brand director said the company will most likely bring a manual to its smaller cars as it understands the "cost and fun" benefits of three-pedal transmissions.

Jaguar's Adrian Hallmark, in speaking with AutoCar, revealed Jaguar plans on bringing out manuals but not for at least 12 months. The best suited donor for the row-it-yourself gearbox, which will have a minimum of six forward gears, is the F-type, but the XF sedan may also be suitable. Larger offerings such as the XJ likely won't get it, as Hallmark said he "can't imagine" it, adding the "XF is the biggest format we could move to for a manual."

"Sports cars need a manual transmission for sports credibility," said Hallmark.

In other Jaguar transmission news, Hallmark confirmed Jaguar and Land Rover will use ZF's 9HP nine-speed automatic. The transmission will be used in U.S. and Asian markets. It can withstand up to 353lb-ft of torque, making it suitable for turbo inline fours and six-cylinder engines, as well as some V8s.

Colonel Cadillac

Hell yeah! It's probably not going to be as good as a Boxster S, but it sure looks better and it will be more special and unique. Give me a million bucks and it will be mine.

SVT666

MexicoCityM3

I love this car, but it looks like it will be priced in 911 territory, not Boxster-level. So it's gonna be tough.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Even if it is, I would rather have this.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 08, 2012, 05:44:21 PM
I love this car, but it looks like it will be priced in 911 territory, not Boxster-level. So it's gonna be tough.

Every report I read said its going to be in the $60-70k range, below the XK, which is in 911 territory.

sportyaccordy

I would still rather the Boxster. They haven't invented something that can replicate losing 600lbs

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 08, 2012, 05:14:25 PM
Jaguar F-Type will have a manual transmission
By Paul Rachwal

It appears an earlier report about Jaguar eventually bringing a manual transmission to the upcoming F-type sports car from an unnamed source within Jaguar may prove true. Now, Jaguar's global brand director said the company will most likely bring a manual to its smaller cars as it understands the "cost and fun" benefits of three-pedal transmissions.

Jaguar's Adrian Hallmark, in speaking with AutoCar, revealed Jaguar plans on bringing out manuals but not for at least 12 months. The best suited donor for the row-it-yourself gearbox, which will have a minimum of six forward gears, is the F-type, but the XF sedan may also be suitable. Larger offerings such as the XJ likely won't get it, as Hallmark said he "can't imagine" it, adding the "XF is the biggest format we could move to for a manual."

"Sports cars need a manual transmission for sports credibility," said Hallmark.

In other Jaguar transmission news, Hallmark confirmed Jaguar and Land Rover will use ZF's 9HP nine-speed automatic. The transmission will be used in U.S. and Asian markets. It can withstand up to 353lb-ft of torque, making it suitable for turbo inline fours and six-cylinder engines, as well as some V8s.

:rockon:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 08, 2012, 09:07:56 PM
I would still rather the Boxster. They haven't invented something that can replicate losing 600lbs

You have a debilitating weight disorder.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 08, 2012, 09:07:56 PM

Different kind of car.  The midship platform may be vastly superior dynamically to FR, but, there's a feeling that a good FR platform has that a mid engine car just can't replicate.  Now, you may not want to copy the feeling of an FR car.  The feeling is different, not necessarily better or worse.  Having owned a mid engine sports car and a front engine sports car, it's hard to say that one is better, just that the sensations are totally different. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 08, 2012, 05:30:13 PM
Hell yeah! It's probably not going to be as good as a Boxster S, but it sure looks better and it will be more special and unique. Give me a million bucks and it will be mine.

Honestly, it could drive like my Grandma's Buick Century and it wouldn't matter.  Holy shit it's good looking. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TurboDan

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 08, 2012, 05:30:13 PM

Wait four years and buy one used for $25K.  ;) :lol: :ohyeah: