Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT666 on October 10, 2012, 09:57:05 AM
Our Explorer is about as big as I want to go.  The problem is that hardly anything out there is that size anymore.  The new Durango is my favourite SUV right now but it's noticeably larger than my Explorer.  Oh well, I'm driving the Explorer till it dies and that will be a long long time.  Especially since I'll be buying a Mustang in the next 2-3 years and the Explorer will be relegated to towing the boat and ski hill duty.  We'll probably have the Explorer for another 15 years.

SVT666

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Galaxy on October 12, 2012, 09:07:04 AM

That would be my choice. A damn good looking SUV.

SVT, why can't it tow your boat? How much does the Exploder tow? The Toureg has a 7,700 lb rating.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

A Touareg broke some huge super duty truck and towed a 747.  I think it can handle your little skiff.  :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

I did not kn ow that the Explorer has a third row. As stated the Touareg should be fine from a towing point of view.

Cookie Monster

Maybe he thought it was a Tiguan. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on October 12, 2012, 11:34:23 AM
Maybe he thought it was a Tiguan. :lol:
That's not the Tiguan?

Besides, it doesn't matter.  The Explorer is staying until it falls apart.

CJ

I would love a Sequoia.

TurboDan

Quote from: MrH on October 10, 2012, 06:39:06 AM
Awesome, I love the Sequoia.  Toyota makes some awesome SUVs and trucks.  In fact, they're probably my favorite manufacturer for that whole segment.  The Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Sequoia are all some of my favorites.

What color are you going for?

Would rather have the real HiLux though. Better styling inside and out, more offroad capable.  ;)

That said, I've always loved the 4Runner. FJ is cool, and I would've considered it, but the interior is horrific.

TurboDan

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2012, 10:58:17 AM
A Touareg broke some huge super duty truck and towed a 747.  I think it can handle your little skiff.  :devil:

Even the Tiguan can probably hack towing most recreational boats. For some odd reason it's rated to 2,200 pounds in the US but 4,000 pounds everywhere else in the world.

As long as someone has the 4Motion to get it up slippery ramps it'd be fine.

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on October 13, 2012, 12:55:33 AM
Would rather have the real HiLux though. Better styling inside and out, more offroad capable.  ;)

That said, I've always loved the 4Runner. FJ is cool, and I would've considered it, but the interior is horrific.
I highly doubt the HiLux is more off road capable than the Taco.  IMO, the Taco looks better too.

HiLux

Tacoma

The only iteration of the HiLux that is more off road capable and looks better is the one modified by Arctic Trucks:

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on October 13, 2012, 12:57:03 AM
Solved.

(There's room for a 7th wheel.  :lol:)

Will explode in an untimely fashion, and not much smaller than Tahoe and similar.

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on October 13, 2012, 01:31:24 AM
I highly doubt the HiLux is more off road capable than the Taco.  IMO, the Taco looks better too.

The HiLux is more off-road capable in almost every way. Frame is fully boxed, torsion bar suspension and different springs make HiLux handle less well but make it far more offroad capable and capable of carrying much heavier loads.

As pickups go, the Taco is meant to "look tough" to "red blooded American guys" while the Hilux looks more civilized but actually provides the capability under the sheetmetal.

GoCougs

Boxed frame and "different springs" are irrelevant WRT off road prowess. Torsion bars are actually a detriment WRT off road prowess.

dazzleman

I really need to start working on this.  I don't want to just get another 5-er without reviewing the options.  Audi is a car I want to consider.  I don't think I want to consider Mercedes; I think the demographic image is too old for me.  The car just doesn't grab me.  I have to test drive the new generation of 5-ers and then think of other options.  I was really tempted by the Alpina I saw at the auto show, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much money.  I was pretty much turned off to Infiniti by those super long grills they're using now.  I hate them.

My nephew keeps trying to talk me into an M5.  It may be too much money, and of course, gas and insurance will be more.

I have to test drive a couple of Audis and BMWs to get a good idea of the direction I want to go in.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CJ

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on October 06, 2013, 07:13:45 PM
I really need to start working on this.  I don't want to just get another 5-er without reviewing the options.  Audi is a car I want to consider.  I don't think I want to consider Mercedes; I think the demographic image is too old for me.  The car just doesn't grab me.  I have to test drive the new generation of 5-ers and then think of other options.  I was really tempted by the Alpina I saw at the auto show, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much money.  I was pretty much turned off to Infiniti by those super long grills they're using now.  I hate them.

My nephew keeps trying to talk me into an M5.  It may be too much money, and of course, gas and insurance will be more.

I have to test drive a couple of Audis and BMWs to get a good idea of the direction I want to go in.

Just get a Miata.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

If I was buying in that segment, I'd be going for the Audis.  Best looking, love the AWD, I think some diesel options!

Just because, go test a Jag while you're at it.  Something different.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Yup late model Jags are pretty reliable.  Also Dave should wait until the Ghibli is released here.

Mine will hopefully be one of these.  Hopefully a '95

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

I'd honestly go for a Porsche, but I don't see you going that route. M5 would be awesome, and it isn't as though you can't afford it. I don't think you have many expensive hobbies, why not splurge on your car? Also, have you looked at the S6?

If the M5 is ultimately too much car, I'd look at the following:
-335i/535i
-GS350 F-sport
-A6 3.0T
-F-Type?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

My next car could be one of several different cars.  I'm all over the place, but it could be a used BMW 335i Coupe, 2011 Mustang GT, Audi S5, or Cadillac CTS-V Wagon.  No matter what I get though, it will be a car I keep for a very very long time.

280Z Turbo

Chevy Impala  :neverforget: :erjerbs:

Laconian

I wonder if the pendulum will have swung the other direction and I'll be looking to tread more lightly with my next car purchase. Getting a V6 was a real indulgence for me, but maybe the allure of the power will have worn off and the developing news about ocean acidification will continue sapping my enthusiasm for automotive excess. I really like my car but sometimes I feel like a shithead when I have fun in it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Depending on a bunch of factors, but as of right now the soonest purchase is gonna be something 2 wheeled...

But as for a future car - either gonna be something like a S2000 or a Audi A4 wagon (both used obviously)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2013, 10:07:14 PM
I wonder if the pendulum will have swung the other direction and I'll be looking to tread more lightly with my next car purchase. Getting a V6 was a real indulgence for me, but maybe the allure of the power will have worn off and the developing news about ocean acidification will continue sapping my enthusiasm for automotive excess. I really like my car but sometimes I feel like a shithead when I have fun in it.

GTFO

We don't talk like that around here. The next one should be a V8.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2013, 10:07:14 PM

Get an electric car for a commuter and keep the G!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

I would look into Audis. Bimmer kind of lost their way with the current 5.

--------------------------

I dont think I am gonna buy another car for a while. My car has a lot of miles but its solid + reliable so far. I'd rather replace the long block than get into something else, at least in the short term. Bike is annoying me. The clip ons are brutal for anything but grocery runs, and the engine vibrations are becoming a general annoyance. I like the SV but if it vibes like mine I kind of don't want it. I want a triple or 4 banger for the next one. Might even go old mannish since I don't need something nimble... this potential job I am looking at is about 35-40 miles away so I would def prefer comfort over agility. I'm thinking, VFR800, Sprint ST 1050, FZ1 etc.

I really want to get an exhaust for the Z. I am thinking custom. Dual 2.5" cat back with electronic cutouts. Also want to upgrade the headlights and get an intake. I would be good with that for a while. Maybe for Xmas if we have a good year.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs