Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

2o6

Six weeks ago, you guys wanted me to buy a Honda Fit from my old job that I thought was dubious. I passed on it due to the fact that although it had fewer miles than my car, I didn't think it was a strong value proposition, and that particular Fit had a checkered past, and I was moving to a new city with a job that was an unknown quantity and I didn't know how much I'd be driving.

But because I think of buying a car slightly more expensive than said Honda Fit, it's a bad idea? It wouldn't be for quite a while anyways....like at least a year.

Jesus Christ....

Rupert

Who said you should buy a Fit? Not me.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2014, 02:58:18 PM
I actually don't think it's too terrible of an idea.  Sell the Yaris for $8,000, get a Mazda2 for $11,000?  $3000 additional to get your daily driver back down to a mileage range where your maintenance costs are low?

Probably closer to 9 or 10, and the Yaris is probably worth more like 6K. There's a CPO Mazda 2 Touring, 44K, 5-speed with cruise and shit for just under 10K. There's also a CPO Sonic LT Turbo with Cruise and shit for like 10.5K.

Like I said, I will have to see what my finances look like when I start my new job and start working successfully. My new job pays around 15-20% more than my old one.

Yet again, not for a long while, and I'm still not really burning to get anything right this instant anyways.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 20, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
This is CarSPIN. You will get the advice whether you want it or not.  :praise:

I was going to say the same thing. It's a reflex.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 20, 2014, 10:23:28 AM
(Yes I realize I am really late to this conversation)

You aren't that unusual. I was in my mid-late 20's when I bought my Z3 as my only car. I only had summer tires my first winter with it, but I regretted it. It actually had an LSD, but it still had trouble going uphill even with a slight snowfall.

Right now, I have my brother's Audi S4 as a backup car, though, so that works out in my favor.  We're supposed to get heavy snowfall today (started already) and we drove in my brother's car.  Big advantage to the three of us working together and one of our best friends living near us and also working in the same spot.  The four of us piled into the S4.  Not a super comfortable ride, sitting behind a 6'1" tall guy, but not the worst. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2014, 02:58:18 PM
I actually don't think it's too terrible of an idea.  Sell the Yaris for $8,000, get a Mazda2 for $11,000?  $3000 additional to get your daily driver back down to a mileage range where your maintenance costs are low?

If the difference is that low, when comparing whatever repair costs that could come with a high mileage car (even just maintenance costs can go up, I'm sure), it may very well be worth it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on January 21, 2014, 07:46:51 AM
If the difference is that low, when comparing whatever repair costs that could come with a high mileage car (even just maintenance costs can go up, I'm sure), it may very well be worth it.

That was my thought.  Kind of sit in that no-maintenance zone in cheap cars for a bit, upgrade your ride at the same time.  Doesn't seem like too bad of an idea :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Kind of agree with these guys. Unpredictable expenses are what Kevin has to look out for..that's where the lack of a safety net would bite him in the ass.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2014, 07:47:55 AM
That was my thought.  Kind of sit in that no-maintenance zone in cheap cars for a bit, upgrade your ride at the same time.  Doesn't seem like too bad of an idea :huh:

Like I said, It depends. Might roll around in the Yaris for awhile.

68_427

Wheel speed sensor for Yaris is over $100 even on rock auto.   :heated:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on February 19, 2014, 07:07:08 PM

Try cleaning the dirt off, or snatch one at a junk yard.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

OTOH wheel bearing is only $18 for my Outback
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on February 19, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
OTOH wheel bearing is only $18 for my Outback

Just repack it with some Crisco.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

One good pot hole will rip it right out XD.  With my car in the air there's a good inch of movement in any direction.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on February 19, 2014, 07:07:08 PM

Why do you need a wheel speed sensor?

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Try taking it off and spraying down the terminals with some battery corrosion clearing solution shit

My ABS did that last winter. Did that, let it dry, and it was good as new.