shocks

Started by veeman, October 05, 2012, 02:22:32 AM

veeman

i've got a 2007 hyundai sonata.  One of the known flaws of this mainstreamer is that it's known for dipping and diving on bad roads at moderate speeds, more so than most cars.  This has never honestly bothered me much.  I've got 70 thousand miles on the car. 

Lately, I've noticed the car takes speed bumps just a tad harsher than before.  It bottoms out on very steep driveways just a tad more than before.  When I get out of the car and forcefully push down on the four corners of the car, it doesn't seem to rebound abnormally however.  The wheels are alligned properly and the steering is straight.

Is this issue, you guys think, a shock/strut issue and is 70,000 miles about their good lifespan assuming mildly aggressive driving in city roads which have their fairshare of potholes?  Are they worth replacing with aftermarket parts.  I plan on keeping this car till the 100,000 mile warranty runs out AND I have to replace/repair a major engine or transmission piece, so probably another 3 years I'm guessing.

This car has been very reliable.  Other than minor recalls and wear and tear items as well as usual maintenance and a few light bulbs, the only thing I've had to do is replace the AC compressor (I always drive with the AC on except in the middle of winter).

Thanks.

S204STi

It's possible the original shocks aren't doing as well as they once did, and one way that would tend to be more apparent is by way of floaty handling and excessive cycling of the suspension, and in your case, poor high-frequency response.  If you want to improve on the suspension, you could go with something like the KYB Excel-G (formerly GR-2), which tend to perform slightly better than OE from most reports, or OEM shocks, which will put you back to where you were before.  I'm not sure there are any better "performance" options for this car.

veeman

Thanks!!

Do you have any estimate roughly about how much these would cost and to get installed?  Ballpark figure

S204STi

Figure about $275 for parts, and a few hours labor.  Not sure what the book time is on that.  That would be for the KYB stuff.  OE shocks are likely twice that.

Cookie Monster

Get some Tokico HTS's on that bish.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Sensatracs are pretty sweet.... it's only a Sonata
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)