MT reviews Midsized Sedans

Started by 2o6, October 05, 2012, 07:23:44 AM

2o6

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1212_2012_2013_midsize_sedan_comparison/?ti=v2

This reminds me why I stopped reading professional reviews.

1. Passat
2. New Accord
3. Ford Fusion
4. Altima
5. Camry
6. Malibu

The writers go out of their way to be clever, and they suck at it. And I'm tired of people slamming CVT's. They liked the Accord's CVT because it faked shift points. :rolleyes:

Raza

What the fuck is Honey Boo Boo and why does everyone talk about it all the time?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2012, 08:05:04 AM
What the fuck in Honey Boo Boo and why does everyone talk about it all the time?

Beats the hell out of me. I think we're probably the only two people in our age group that don't know.

Eye of the Tiger

I just Googled it, and it appears to be a reality show about a beauty pagandgt.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

What the fuck in Honey Boo Boo and why does everyone talk about it all the time?

You are better off not knowing. I think her 15min are just about up though (I hope) so it wont matter at all soon.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Okay, so I read the review.  There's not a whole lot going on at work today. 

Yes, it's poorly written.  Kevin's right, they do try to be clever and fail.  But, it wasn't a bad review.  They weren't nitpicky, and they did a good job of prioritizing what would be important to a midsize buyer.  They talked about gas mileage and interior room, they mentioned which one was the sportiest and best to drive, but didn't place it at the top of the review just because it was the sportiest. 

That said, my choice would be the Fusion, with the 1.6T and the 6 speed manual.  Although, after getting my friend into the Passat when he was considering the Camry, I feel reassured. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I don't agree with the placement, but the writing was pretty off putting.

SVT666

That Fusion sure looks good.  After reading the review the Fusion would probably be my first choice as well, though I am really looking forward to seeing what the new Mazda6 will be like.

cawimmer430

Camry should have been like first. It's like so reliable! OMG!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

C&D has the same review in this month's issue and for them the order is very different:

1. Accord
2. Fusion
4. Passat
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2012, 09:38:53 AM
I don't agree with the placement, but the writing was pretty off putting.

How would you have ranked them?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Atomic

What the fuck is Honey Boo Boo and why does everyone talk about it all the time?

That poor young girl will be lucky to make it to age 20 without some horrific tragedy (like an accidental drug O.D. or teenage suicide) caused in part by her greedy and ignorant parent/parental figures and/or the media and dimwitted audience poking fun of this innocent child -- opposed to the crazed masses indulging their guilty pleasure on the many unimaginable antics of the adults making money off of this unknowing laughing stock youngster of our reality show obsessed culture. Sigh  :facepalm: 

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2012, 09:00:11 AM
Okay, so I read the review.  There's not a whole lot going on at work today. 

Yes, it's poorly written.  Kevin's right, they do try to be clever and fail.  But, it wasn't a bad review.  They weren't nitpicky, and they did a good job of prioritizing what would be important to a midsize buyer.  They talked about gas mileage and interior room, they mentioned which one was the sportiest and best to drive, but didn't place it at the top of the review just because it was the sportiest. 

That said, my choice would be the Fusion, with the 1.6T and the 6 speed manual.  Although, after getting my friend into the Passat when he was considering the Camry, I feel reassured. 

I have driven all but the Passat. Not much time at the moment to elaborate but I look forward to sharing my initial impressions of each. I already spoke of how the 2012 Honda Accord Sport (not SE, actually, rather "Sport" model) performed during a recent test drive. It far exceeded even my high expectations. See the Accord post. I hope to be online more this weekend and her at 'spin.

The Accord 4 cylinder Sport with CVT? Flawless... and fun to drive!

Still traveling for work, coupled with some down time. Sadly, the Ford Fusion looks better in pics and on paper as both Motor Trend and Car&Driver report. I decided to reserve judgement, even after anxiously reading the C&D comparison. It was spot on regarding the Fusion. Still, no comment. Then tonight I saw this tread and read MT's comparison for the very first time and compared notes. Wow. I think it was the exact same '13 Fusion. Both magazines hit most of my points. I so wanted to love this new Ford.

To be continued.

Up next: I really look forward to driving a 2013 VW Passat. I sat in a couple of last year's models and was very impressed. I doubt much changed for '13 and aside from its plain Jane looks (that could benefit from more excited sheet metal), that's actually a mighty good thing.

2o6

You've driven the new Accord? How was it?

93JC

It's some dumb show from the channel formerly known as "The Learning Channel".

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2012, 07:44:10 PM
You've driven the new Accord? How was it?

Yes, bro! Check in tomorrow. I will elaborate. Just finishing a report for work while traveling. Nearly done. Will enter comments tomorrow. Goodnight gents. Long week.

The Accord was fantastic. No exaggeration.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 05, 2012, 08:09:35 PM

I don't know what I'm watching, but it confuses and frightens me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Really liking the new Fusion. Might be in the market for one next year. (Obviously, not sure if it'll fall into my price range, probably not)

Atomic

Well, aside from the sadness of yet another child exploited by a beauty pageant wannabe mother and media whore family, the mother is already taken and her sex life is probably more exciting than all of ours put together  :zzz: TMI, I know but something is terribly wrong here.

BTW: The mother is the cheerleader in the background.

I stomached 15 minutes of the show with your very question, Raza. I could not possibly tune in for another second. In fact, 5 minutes told me more than I wanted to know about the Honey Boo Boo franchise and the further deterioration of American society  :confused:

Atomic

I took a new 2013 dark blue Ford Fusion SE out for quick spin and had to ask the question why regarding the larger size when Honda finally had the sense to trim its Accord sedan for '13 to bring it back to the days of a meaner, leaner and spunkier car without sacrificing interior packaging. On the contrary, in fact. FMC took a leap backward with no obvious advantage, aside from its couple like sloopong roofline. I did not see Ford specs but from what I understand, Honda, not Ford will offer choices in automatic transmission (6 spd), state of the art CVT (what floored me -- superb, 2o6, bro) and a racy six speed manual AND choice of 4's, at least one 6 cylinder and two hybrids for MY14.  

The rear accommodations make one feel claustrophobic in the 2013 Fusion. Rear headroom was dismal for its size and blindspots were prominate from my drive and opinion of Ford dealership owner friend accompanying me on the drive to exchange vehicles between two Ford stores.  As he commented, these issues that dissappointed us wannabe MY13 Fusion fans would not prevent a customer from buying a new Mustang coupe or convertible but have already deterred a few wannabe MY13 Fusion owners from going through with a lease, purchase or decision to opt for the new Fusion over the more lovable and proven leftover 2011-12 models he is working to sell with little to no problem with the '13 sedans trckling in.

The good news, Tauraus sales at his Ford-Lincoln stores have increased with remarkable incentives, improved styling in its own right for 2013 and shoppers perceptions of a bigger and better bang for the buck. Be prepared for sticker shock when pricing a new Fusion to your specs; although, most Fusions he had received thus far were base/middle-of-the-road SE level models with fewer options delivered light on packages.

Other negatives were mirrored in both articles...

Likes: the VW CC-like seats in look and feel, the love-it-or-loath-it styling, a four door coupe look and not-so-bad base price...

Good things to come: AWD expected, if not out already (but will there be enough power?); A better eqipped, livelier and more solid Lincoln version for MY13 or 2014; Hybrid availability...

If you like the standard 4 cylinder CC, I think you might find the new Fusion a close contender (but not so German) for my test drive of each and reading reports on the MY13 Ford and past base VW four door coupes...

Atomic

I am traveling until November so I try to stop and gage reactions to the new 2013 mid and full size family offerings wherever I go and think of other strategies along the way -- how the cars are being displayed, marketed, etc.

I am seeing a lot of base 2013 Fusions equipped at the same low price and without options (labeled "Fleet Car" on the modified sticker) of just under $20,000. They are all tucked away, some fenced in but there is no indication if they are soon-to-be rentals, corporate cars, whatever... They look especially dowdy inside and out and have ugly, dull plastic hubcaps. There are similarly equipped models selling for retail (at about $22,000) along side other new Fords. These have a different style cheap plastic hubcap and no indication of a fleet car anywhere. Sadly, the rear of the MY13 Fusion looks nearly identical to that of the lesser Focus. Okay for the stylish Focus, but nothing special for what all of us 'Spinners were expecting from the great phots shots.

The car is a real letdown, IMO and my only test drive was that "SE" I spoke of. I really would love to see a fully loaded Titanium model Fusion with AWD in leather and take it out for a spin. Have any of you guys experienced one behind the wheel yet? It's more '13 Chevrolet Malibu (Okay, not awesome) than 2013 Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota or VW-like. It doesn't even seem more than a step above the sweet, but dated outgoing Fusion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2012, 10:13:09 PM

I have a new drinking game for you.

Get a bottle of Scotch.  See if you can make it through one episode without dying. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

280Z Turbo

The thing I find interesting is that GM cut 4.5" out of the Malibu wheelbase to justify the upcoming Impala. So now it's cramped in the back. This is not how you make an effective smaller car. GM is so fucking stupid sometimes.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 14, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
The thing I find interesting is that GM cut 4.5" out of the Malibu wheelbase to justify the upcoming Impala. So now it's cramped in the back. This is not how you make an effective smaller car. GM is so fucking stupid sometimes.

They used the smaller variant that's used on the Insignia/Regal.

Not saying it was a smart decision, but that's what it is. It still has some merits; the interior is arguably the best in class (certainly the best looking, IMO) even in base trim it looks special. And it rides very well. If the rear seat wasn't so tight, IMO I would put it ahead of the Camry for someone who is looking for a more comfort oriented choice.

The long wheelbase of the old model IMO is what made it so pretty. The old car looks very good, IMO. The new one looks more expensive, but I'm not sure how successful it looks on the outside.

Submariner

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 14, 2012, 07:56:07 PM

Which is annoying, because it's really good looking inside and out. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

280Z Turbo

My mom's 2009 Malibu looks awesome from the outside but still leaves a lot to be desired inside. It's about on par with 1990's Korean cars. Still a big improvement from the old 2000 era Impala and Malibu.

280Z Turbo

GM needs to stop with the rhino skin panels. You could grate cheese on the door panels.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 14, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
My mom's 2009 Malibu looks awesome from the outside but still leaves a lot to be desired inside. It's about on par with 1990's Korean cars. Still a big improvement from the old 2000 era Impala and Malibu.

The Japanese weren't leaps and bounds ahead. Many plastics in the Camry are just as grey and cheap. The Toyota just fits better.

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 14, 2012, 09:53:06 PM
GM needs to stop with the rhino skin panels. You could grate cheese on the door panels.

Opposed to the Lizard Skin Toyota uses?

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on October 14, 2012, 10:31:39 PM
The Japanese weren't leaps and bounds ahead. Many plastics in the Camry are just as grey and cheap. The Toyota just fits better.

The Japanese interiors always seemed better "screwed together," though. The plastic wouldn't chip as easily and materials wouldn't wear easily, even though they didn't always look that much better aesthetically than the American cars of the time. Japanese cars also never had big panel gaps that many of the American mainstreamers did.

My family had an old '91 Protege and it looked better on the inside than some mainstream American cars up until just a few years ago. Hell, even the $90K Caddy XLR's interior wasn't that great. The LCD nav unit wasn't particularly snug, and some of the panels weren't too sturdy after long-term use.

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on October 05, 2012, 08:09:35 PM

Jesus Baldheaded Christ in the treetops!!!  That's just disgusting.  Don't ever post anything like that again.