Drove a 2012 Accord Coupe V6 6MT.... yeee haw...

Started by VTEC_Inside, October 05, 2012, 08:36:42 AM

VTEC_Inside

While swapping Civics yesterday I noted a black 6MT coupe sitting on the lot.

Been itching to try one of them for ages.

Holy shit pretty much sums it up. The thing has an unholy amount of power. Its just past the point of being too much for a FWD car, but man what fun.

I left the traction control on the whole time but that didn't prevent a pretty good chirp going into 3rd at 100kph, triangle flashing away. Actually I dont even know if it was a triangle, but...

I always thought they would be a dog handling wise, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it handled quite well. Its tough to describe, my RSX handles pretty good but can feel a bit twitchy. I ran thay Accord through a pretty good corner accelerating to 120kph and it was VERY confidence inspiring, I could really feel what the front tires were doing and it was quite settled even with my heavy right foot. Was this in part thanks to the wishbones? Hmmm...

The only area I did notice, but only once, that my RSX would win, is braking. My guess is that the Accord weighs a good 400-600lbs more, but uses the same braking hardware the RSX does. I was coming up to a light a bit agressively and I had to stand on them a bit more than I expected. Then again I may have also put on a bit more speed than I expected during that last throttle jab in 3rd.

The rest of the car is pure top model Accord, all the toys, plus auto up/down on both door windows, I wish they had done that on the RSX.

Ultimately its the power that I walked away chuckling about. I would probably need to keep a spare set of rubber on standby if I owned it as the front tires are easily overwhelmed.

On that note, I would seriously consider buying that particular car if it hadn't been black. It the service managers 'demo' with 16k on it so its marked down about 6k thanks to that and model year end rebates.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Eye of the Tiger

As we all know by now, a V6 Camcord is the ultimate driving machine. I am sure the power is nice. If I had one, I would probably lose my license, because I would insist on pushing it like I do the Accent.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2012, 08:51:38 AM
As we all know by now, a V6 Camcord is the ultimate driving machine. I am sure the power is nice. If I had one, I would probably lose my license, because I would insist on pushing it like I do the Accent.

My sarcasm detector is twitching at your first sentence.

I've driven nothing but 2.0L 4 bangers on a regular basis since I got my license some 16+ yrs ago.

Being able to punch it just under 3000rpm and move like that was immensely fun.

Its a shame Honda doesn't make a RWD car with that engine.

AltinD

QuoteThe rest of the car is pure top model Accord, all the toys, plus auto up/down on both door windows,

WOW!  :wtf:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AltinD on October 05, 2012, 02:06:38 PM
WOW!  :wtf:

Lotta butthurt in this thread. Excuse me for taking satisfaction from the fact that unlike my RSX, they included the auto up/down on both windows.

I realize that other manufacturers probably got their shit together on this little feature ages ago...

As for the rest of the toys, nav, bluetooth, and voice control of a lot of features is a pretty complete set IMO.

That said, my relationship with the Honda dealer is such that they pretty much hand me the keys to whatever I want to try. Its not worth the salesperson hassle to drive cars from othet makes unless its really sparked my interest.

MexicoCityM3

Sounds like you had a good time. Good car, unfortunately here we only got the automatic.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Ah, yes, good ole 'SPIN Camcord haterism. The irony is that 80% of 'SPINners don't drive anything as good, however "good" is defined; refined, performing, reliable, expensive, "fun to drive" or w/e.

It is a lot of power for FWD (or even RWD) but then again you don't have have to fight the caricatureism of a pony car, the lack of refinement in the Genesis Coupe, or the ownership $$$ risks of a used German coupe.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 05, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
Lotta butthurt in this thread. Excuse me for taking satisfaction from the fact that unlike my RSX, they included the auto up/down on both windows.

I realize that other manufacturers probably got their shit together on this little feature ages ago...

As for the rest of the toys, nav, bluetooth, and voice control of a lot of features is a pretty complete set IMO.

That said, my relationship with the Honda dealer is such that they pretty much hand me the keys to whatever I want to try. Its not worth the salesperson hassle to drive cars from othet makes unless its really sparked my interest.

Meh, AltinD is the king of mag racing and e-peen comparisons on this site. Everything is measured up to his 4 year old Passat. :facepalm:

Anyways, I've heard nothing but good things about the V6's 6 speed. I really wish I had a chance to try one out. Also, you got me interested in seeing if the 2013 Accord Coupe could be had in the 6-6 guise and holy crap the redesigned one looks amazing! I don't know about you but I don't think I'd want to go with a 2012 after seeing the 2013.

The only thing is, for the price, you can get a Genesis or a FRS/BRZ and that's kind of what kills it for me. I'd probably take an Accord V6 6 speed over a Mustang or Camaro for the same money but the other two kind of kill the Accord Coupe V6 for me.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: thecarnut on October 05, 2012, 03:28:25 PM
Meh, AltinD is the king of mag racing and e-peen comparisons on this site. Everything is measured up to his 4 year old Passat. :facepalm:

Anyways, I've heard nothing but good things about the V6's 6 speed. I really wish I had a chance to try one out. Also, you got me interested in seeing if the 2013 Accord Coupe could be had in the 6-6 guise and holy crap the redesigned one looks amazing! I don't know about you but I don't think I'd want to go with a 2012 after seeing the 2013.

The only thing is, for the price, you can get a Genesis or a FRS/BRZ and that's kind of what kills it for me. I'd probably take an Accord V6 6 speed over a Mustang or Camaro for the same money but the other two kind of kill the Accord Coupe V6 for me.

I think I'd love a BRZ as well, but back to the fact that I've always driven 2.0L fours, the V6 would be a welcome change.

The 2013 def looks a lot leaner. Apparently they have at least one 6-6MT on order so I'll have to try that one when it shows up.

If the one I drove wasn't black I would have given it more thought.

cawimmer430

Why do car manufacturers even produce such overpowered FWD cars that'll torque steer all over the place when you're trying to accelerate in first gear?

At this point I think they could add a drive shaft and make the thing AWD...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2012, 04:12:17 PM
Why do car manufacturers even produce such overpowered FWD cars that'll torque steer all over the place when you're trying to accelerate in first gear?

There wasn't any torque steer, just not enough traction. In 1st gear as little as 1/4 pedal was enough to get them squealing.

Atomic

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 05, 2012, 04:51:16 PM
There wasn't any torque steer, just not enough traction. In 1st gear as little as 1/4 pedal was enough to get them squealing.

I take the sarcasm as positive feedback most of the time giving the responders credit for what I can only assume as praise. Take a good look at my many posts and numerous comments (especially in regards to the Honda Accord past and present) as my opinions literally come directly from driving dozens of flawless Honda and Acura products owned by family or self since our very frst in 1980.

Reading the extraordinary reviews of the new 9th generation ('13) Honda Accord (including comparison tests) in various publications (some cited here throughout Carspin) and all positive thus far shows that we are in the majority. Again: From ownership, tests drives or simply as enthusiasts, we know firsthand, secondhand and throughout countless others that Honda makes one helleva great vehicle with perhaps a few so-so models in recent memory. However, they are certainly back on track and selling extremely well with three best sellers landing in the top 11 for September 2012: Those being the Honda Accord, Honda Civic and Honda CR-V. Acura also has its share of record breakers for the month and all of January-September thus far in the calendar year.

Your test drive of the MY12 Accord Coupe sounds awesome! Dude, you have gotta drive the 2013 Coupe next. You will be blown away. I have yet to see one in person -- only sedans thus far, but after my road test of that black-on-black Sport (sedan), the coupe is expected to be even greater and the 4 cylinder sedan with CVT really kicked ass. I was left stunned and nearly ready to place a deposit. Yes. The new Accord is that remarkable.

And, no sarcasm from this experienced Honda-Acura guy. I am taking my sister shopping for a new LX or EX model. It will be a 2013 sedan.

AltinD

Quote from: thecarnut on October 05, 2012, 03:28:25 PM

The one-touch up/down windows has been around on cars of the same class since at least 2000. I had it on my 2002 car .... and since you mentioned my current car, yes it is faster in 0 - 60 and with higher top speed then the 2012 Accord V6, with less power and probably more weight, not to mentioned that model with those specs has been around since 2005.

AltinD

That's why he said: make it AWD. No torque steer or squealing here, just solid acceleration, even on full throtle in Sport mode.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Hey mang, my butt ain't hurt (from this thread). That Accord would probably feel like a Bugatti Veyron to me after a few months of truck driving, only intertupted by semi-weekly runs in the Accent.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AltinD on October 06, 2012, 06:04:45 AM
That's why he said: make it AWD. No torque steer or squealing here, just solid acceleration, even on full throtle in Sport mode.

I gad a chance to drive a Legacy Spec B for a day a few years back. AWD was the hilarity in that car, 250hp (dunno how much torque) and rain or shine it just went, WOT or otherwise.

The 6MT Accord would still smoke that car though, at least in the dry though. Hate to magazine race but Ive seen times just under 6s 0-60 and high 13s in the quarter for the 6MT coupe, those are crazy for a car with the Accord nameplate on it.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 06, 2012, 06:35:39 AM
Hey mang, my butt ain't hurt (from this thread). That Accord would probably feel like a Bugatti Veyron to me after a few months of truck driving, only intertupted by semi-weekly runs in the Accent.

I really liked that Accent SR. A lot to be said for slow cars too. At least you can do a whole lotta floorin' without worrying about tickets. I can't do that in either of my cars anymore since I parked my Accord.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 06, 2012, 07:16:34 AM
I really liked that Accent SR. A lot to be said for slow cars too. At least you can do a whole lotta floorin' without worrying about tickets. I can't do that in either of my cars anymore since I parked my Accord.

I use the same driving philosophy in nearly everything I drive... "floor it and forget it"... so it's a good thing for my license that I have slow vehicles.

Northlands

I hear what you're saying VTEC. I've driven a ton of 4 cyls over the years. Getting into a car like the Accord V6 can be a real treat. As much as people like to bag on those cars, they can really move. Especially the manual versions. I've driven the previous generation model with the same set up and it was a pretty quick car. Even with FWD, you still felt like you had decent control of the car.

They are actually pretty fun cars.  :ohyeah:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

GoCougs

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 06, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
I gad a chance to drive a Legacy Spec B for a day a few years back. AWD was the hilarity in that car, 250hp (dunno how much torque) and rain or shine it just went, WOT or otherwise.

The 6MT Accord would still smoke that car though, at least in the dry though. Hate to magazine race but Ive seen times just under 6s 0-60 and high 13s in the quarter for the 6MT coupe, those are crazy for a car with the Accord nameplate on it.

That's why I didn't go Camcord for the new ride. Roads are wet 70% of the time here, and any moderately powerful V6 will get you a good dose of TC with relatively little throttle.

TBR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 06, 2012, 07:13:43 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2006-subaru-legacy-25gt-specb-short-take-road-test

Unless it was an automatic the Spec B definitely would not get smoked. May not feel as fast though due to turbo lag.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TBR on October 06, 2012, 09:07:42 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2006-subaru-legacy-25gt-specb-short-take-road-test

Unless it was an automatic the Spec B definitely would not get smoked. May not feel as fast though due to turbo lag.

Nah, it was a stick.. No noticeable turbo lag in that car, just the odd time where it didn't feel as outright powerful.

Note though, despite the quick 0-60 time, that looks to be because of the AWD as the quarter mile time is slightly slower than the coupe... Street start time kinda reflects that too.

TBR

Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

Love that car though.

CALL_911

I want to try an Accord V6 6MT as well. Kind of like a modern day Prelude.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Definitely sounds overpowered. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TBR on October 06, 2012, 09:33:01 AM
Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

Love that car though.

Just read through that whole article. That says 5spd, the one I drove was a 2008 and it was a 6spd. The interior pic is off a bit too since I dont see the 'Si Drive' controller aft of the shifter.

Atomic

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 06, 2012, 06:29:30 AM
An AWD Camcord would be sweet.

The two closest things from Honda-Acura that already exist in AWD: The Honda Crosstour and Acura TL... From Toyota, the Highlander (?) -- but certainly not what you are thinking of.

AltinD

Don't they offer AWD models of those cars in Japan? I think I've heard something like that once.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2012, 04:12:17 PM

Why do you make ignorant remarks about enthusiasts preferring RWD, only to later make an exaggerated criticism like this?